What's new on Geocaching Australia

Discussion about the Geocaching Australia web site
roundcircle
1100 or more caches found
1100 or more caches found

Re: What's new on Geocaching Australia

Post by roundcircle » 20 October 11 7:20 pm

Don't confuse charge out rates with labour rates. It'll just depress you. :shock:

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 20 October 11 7:38 pm

roundcircle wrote:Don't confuse charge out rates with labour rates. It'll just depress you. :shock:
I'm already depressed. As a consulting IT Project Manager I get to see all of the finances on my projects. Including my own. The difference makes me sad :cry:

budgietas
10000 or more caches found

Post by budgietas » 24 October 11 8:19 pm

Hi. Just found mayoralties on the stats page. Can't find any reference in the wiki.

caughtatwork

Become a Mayor of a locale

Post by caughtatwork » 24 October 11 8:58 pm

budgietas wrote:Hi. Just found mayoralties on the stats page. Can't find any reference in the wiki.
You're quick :-) That only went live about 4:00pm today.
Now that the cat is out of the bag (as it were) here are the details.

http://wiki.geocaching.com.au/wiki/Mayoralties

Mayoralities are based on the concept from FourSquare.

If you are the cacher with the most GCA finds for a locale/state/country combination and that count is >= 10, then you are declared the mayor of that locale. If there is a draw for the same number of finds, the one who has the latest find gets to be mayor. i.e. The newcomer usurps the old guy.

Locationless caches and moveable caches do not contribute to the mayoral status as locationless don't have a location to be mayor of and moveable caches, well, move.

Examples.
http://geocaching.com.au/cache/ga0804
Neribil has 10 GCA finds in Ulverstone and as the highest finder, gets to be the mayor.
You can see the current mayor next to the Mayoral Crown Image

http://geocaching.com.au/cacher/statist ... ayoralties
He (she, it) is also the mayor of a few other areas.

http://geocaching.com.au/cacher/Neribil
You can also see that Neribil is a mayor on the "bling line" on their cacher page.

You can see whether you are a mayor by going to your cacher page and the under Statistics you can select Mayoralties.
Are you a mayor yet?
Can you usurp the incumbent and take over the mayoral role for a locale?

Only 16 people (so far) have mayoralties, so they're not exactly common, but then if everyone was a mayor, then no-one would be.

Neribil
Roostaman
TeamSwampy
pjmpjm
rogerw3
OldSaint
psychokat
pwags
Fuddley
Cheesy pigs
Team Canary
2y'stassies
Posspet Boys
strike-a-light
norkmeister
Team Natty Dean

Development time around 5 hours or $375.00

pwags
1500 or more caches found

Re: Become a Mayor of a locale

Post by pwags » 24 October 11 9:12 pm

caughtatwork wrote:
budgietas wrote:Hi. Just found mayoralties on the stats page. Can't find any reference in the wiki.

If you are the cacher with the most GCA finds for a locale/state/country combination and that count is >= 10, then you are declared the mayor of that locale. If there is a draw for the same number of finds, the one who has the latest find gets to be mayor. i.e. The newcomer usurps the old guy.
Now that I am the newly-appointed mayor of Melbourne's CBD, where can I collect my mayoral robes and chauffeur-driven car? \:D/

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 24 October 11 9:16 pm

pwags wrote:
caughtatwork wrote:

Now that I am the newly-appointed mayor of Melbourne's CBD, where can I collect my mayoral robes and chauffeur-driven car? \:D/
I am so going to find 2 Museum caches, just to get a ahead of you, Mr. Lord Mayor.
Nooooooooooooooo! There are no more caches in that locale that I can find. How much can I pay someone to hide a few, let me find them, then archive them before pwags gets there?

pwags

Post by pwags » 24 October 11 9:22 pm

caughtatwork wrote:
pwags wrote:
caughtatwork wrote:

I am so going to find 2 Museum caches, just to get a ahead of you, Mr. Lord Mayor.
Haha - this will add to the rivalry, which has to be good for GCA caches!

Is there any way we can see the count of finds for each cacher in each locality? How easily can we check our "mayoral potential" in other locations?

pwags

Post by pwags » 24 October 11 9:24 pm

caughtatwork wrote: Nooooooooooooooo! There are no more caches in that locale that I can find. How much can I pay someone to hide a few, let me find them, then archive them before pwags gets there?
I can always move "MetroGnome" into that locality if you want another GCA challenge? :roll:

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 24 October 11 9:28 pm

pwags wrote:
caughtatwork wrote: Nooooooooooooooo! There are no more caches in that locale that I can find. How much can I pay someone to hide a few, let me find them, then archive them before pwags gets there?
I can always move "MetroGnome" into that locality if you want another GCA challenge? :roll:
Moveable caches don't count.

Zalgariath
5500 or more caches found
5500 or more caches found

Post by Zalgariath » 24 October 11 9:30 pm

Awesome! Can we generate a list (maybe state by state) of all the regions so we can see who is on what count or will this amount of crunching kill the interwebs? 8-[

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 24 October 11 9:42 pm

pwags wrote:Is there any way we can see the count of finds for each cacher in each locality? How easily can we check our "mayoral potential" in other locations?
Trouble with the first one is that there are 3,645 distinct locales that have GCA caches. The time to trawl them all to find the mayoral candidates would be lengthy. As people hide new caches, both in AU/NZ and the rest of the world, the volume of locales goes up. i.e. We would need to check Abbeywood, Abbotsbury, Abercrombie Caves, Aberdeen, Aberglasslyn, Abergowrie through Zanthus and Zeehan to work out who has the highest find rate in those locales.

For an individual cacher (like yourself) that's probably doable. Let me play.

Laighside Legends

Post by Laighside Legends » 24 October 11 9:42 pm

Do burke and wills count?
What about trigs?

pwags

Post by pwags » 24 October 11 9:58 pm

Laighside Legends wrote:Do burke and wills count?
They must - I guess that's how I managed to get my mayoral status, as there are plenty of them in Melbourne's CBD, and not many other GCA caches there.

canary
8000 or more caches found
8000 or more caches found

Post by canary » 24 October 11 10:09 pm

caughtatwork wrote:
You're quick :-) That only went live about 4:00pm today.
Now that the cat is out of the bag (as it were) here are the details.

http://wiki.geocaching.com.au/wiki/Mayoralties

Locationless caches and moveable caches do not contribute to the mayoral status as locationless don't have a location to be mayor of and moveable caches, well, move.

Examples.
http://geocaching.com.au/cache/ga0804
Neribil has 10 GCA finds in Ulverstone and as the highest finder, gets to be the mayor.
You can see the current mayor next to the Mayoral Crown Image

http://geocaching.com.au/cacher/statist ... ayoralties
He (she, it) is also the mayor of a few other areas.

http://geocaching.com.au/cacher/Neribil
You can also see that Neribil is a mayor on the "bling line" on their cacher page.

You can see whether you are a mayor by going to your cacher page and the under Statistics you can select Mayoralties.
Are you a mayor yet?
Can you usurp the incumbent and take over the mayoral role for a locale?

Only 16 people (so far) have mayoralties, so they're not exactly common, but then if everyone was a mayor, then no-one would be.

Neribil
Roostaman
TeamSwampy
pjmpjm
rogerw3
OldSaint
psychokat
pwags
Fuddley
Cheesy pigs
Team Canary
2y'stassies
Posspet Boys
strike-a-light
norkmeister
Team Natty Dean
As Mayor of Leura, can I boss pjmpjm around? Order him to clean up my house? Wash my car?

Oh, I'm going power mad on Day 1!

Long may I reign!

budgietas

Post by budgietas » 24 October 11 10:18 pm

Maybe something similar could be done for hiders - this would encourage more gca listings as well.

Without the hiders nobody would get such status!