cache listing - waypoint format [closed]

Discussion about the Geocaching Australia web site
ideology

cache listing - waypoint format [closed]

Post by ideology » 08 January 05 10:30 pm

we are writing the code to generate new waypoint names, eg GCABCDE.

the question is: what format do we want to use for waypoint names?

the main question is whether they should be system generated or user specified. we think user generated is the way to go. that way your gps and maps display a meaningful waypoint name like "METRO" instead of "GCABCD" it also means that you can refer to caches in the forum with a meaningful name, eg "i just did BOLLOX last night" instead of "i just did GCABCD last night" the drawback is that good names like like "CACHE" will be taken pretty quickly. oh well, first in, best dressed!

the next question is whether they should start with "GA" to indicate that they are a geocaching australia waypoint. we that GA takes up two valuable characters if the waypoint is only 6 characters long, plus it's not necessary because most gpses tell you the waypoint type with an icon.

the final question is the waypoint length, etc. we'd prefer to keep it to 6 uppercase characters/digits to allow them to flow into the older gpses without having to rename them using gpsbabel / gsak, etc.

your thoughts?
Last edited by ideology on 07 October 05 8:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

The Garner Family
1100 or more caches found
1100 or more caches found

Post by The Garner Family » 08 January 05 11:07 pm

I think sticking with a format like GAABCD is the way to go. Using friendly names will only be meaningful in the first instance while interesting names are left.

As for people referring to caches: I've never heard anyone say "I just visited GCADFE last night"... they always refer to the real cache names anyway... not the waypoint.

Geof
450 or more roots tripped over

Post by Geof » 08 January 05 11:09 pm

A meaningfull name is always a plus to me. There is one problem however. There will come a time when all usefull names are used up after that we may as well just have a number anyway assuming we go 6 char(thats all my GPSr takes). I have entered some caches into my GPSr and later thought "what the heck", do I delete this one or not, have I done it etc etc. :roll:

Not sure if that is a help or not.

Horus
Totally Clueless(tm)

Post by Horus » 08 January 05 11:23 pm

As one of the few who are "playing here" I guess I should state my preferance - the anally retentive part of me likes the neatness of what you have started already with GA0001. But having said that, it's not great scrolling through a huge list of similar named waypoints in the GPS, so your descriptive word idea sounds good. . . . . . .oh, BOLLOX I don't know, I'm going to bed :?

Team Red Roo
5500 or more caches found

Post by Team Red Roo » 08 January 05 11:33 pm

I'm quite used to it the way that it is, so for my bit, keep it simple (leave it like it is) GSAK likes it as one word it seems as well :P

CraigRat
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!
Twitter: CraigRat
Facebook: http://facebook.com/CraigRat

Post by CraigRat » 08 January 05 11:37 pm

How about the option of loading the GPX file with either the code (GAJOKE) or the mnemonic???

The real trouble is crunching any cache name into a 8 letter mnemonic that is unique.....

if there is 2 Under The Bridge caches unrthebrg1 & unrthebrg2 are no more memorable than ga00001.

My 2 cents

Mix

Post by Mix » 08 January 05 11:45 pm

maybe MCXXXX, TCXXXX, VCXXXX, and so on...

Slider & Smurf
550 or more Caches found
550 or more Caches found

Post by Slider & Smurf » 09 January 05 12:13 am

I think GAXXXX is a good standard - you could still achieve MC, TC etc using GSAK options (once the gpx namespace issue is sorted for gpx files).
<p>
The secondary site has tens of thousands of caches listed and can still operate within six characters ... do we really think we're going to need more than that?

swampgecko
It's all in how you get there....

Post by swampgecko » 09 January 05 12:18 am

What about AUnnnn? it keeps the national identity that is already recognized as AUstralia via the world wide web....

Gunn Parker
400 or more spectacular views seen
400 or more spectacular views seen

Post by Gunn Parker » 09 January 05 12:32 am

swampgecko wrote:What about AUnnnn? it keeps the national identity that is already recognized as AUstralia via the world wide web....
I like this idea, keep it simular to the gcxxxx numbers we have now and if we can get a gpx file then GSAK with take care of the name issue.

Lt. Sniper
Outdoor Adventurer

Post by Lt. Sniper » 09 January 05 1:06 am

If we do follow the AU format then I shotgun "AUSSIE" Dont even think about taking that one! :twisted:

SNIFTER
500 or more caches logged
500 or more caches logged

Post by SNIFTER » 09 January 05 9:41 am

Follow the example of the RTA and numberplates. AAA001 or AU0001. It really doesn't make a hige difference which ever way you go. I don't relate to using a waypoint to discuss a cache. Its always by name or location.eg Issacc at Rookwood.
Just my bit.

swampgecko

Post by swampgecko » 09 January 05 10:00 am

Lt. Sniper wrote:If we do follow the AU format then I shotgun "AUSSIE" Dont even think about taking that one! :twisted:
Bugger I didn't think of that... but seriously I don't think that we will need to go into an alpha/numeric database for quite sometime... considering that we have 3308 active caches listed on the secondary site alone, in Australia, I don't see the new site overtaking that total in a hurry... do you?

Team Red Roo

Post by Team Red Roo » 09 January 05 10:28 am

While GA and AU are both good ideas, I drop the prefix when I download to my GPS, so it doesn't really matter to me what the prefix is, but if I had to vote on it I would choose GAxxxx. Somehow I think it fits better than AU. Whatever is decided on, it ideally needs to be compatible with the software that is currently in use, unless that software is going to get updated as well. A 6 character id also fits into many of the older gps units (like my gps II+), so that needs to be taken into consideration when setting the new standard. Having a 'nickname' like GC caches currently have also works well, since most cachers that I know use that to distinguish a cache.<p>As to the choice of whether we use the GC or AU site, it will always be up to the individual. If someone is not happy with the GC site, they have the right to close their caches and move them over whether other cachers like it or not. I suppose the main question that every individual cacher (new or old) has to answer to him/herself is which site do I want controlling my caching? Reallistically we have only one option at the moment and that is GC.COM, however that can change over time. <p>Cachers come and go and new 'members' often come into the game/sport/hobby via word of mouth, so if the majority of local cachers are with a particular site (GC.COM/GC.AU/GC.DE/GC.RU/ etc, etc) new cachers will eventually follow that lead. When I started caching it was with Navicache, but I quickly found that GC had more caches and cachers here in WA, so I changed sites. <p> For anyone to claim that it will split the game/sport/hobby is absolute rubbish. Every cacher will still be able to log a new cache at whichever site he/she chooses. Sure, there will be some hard nosed individuals who don't want anything to do with those who cache with the 'other site', but I for one can live with that. I think that while everyone of us has ideals and opinions, we're not interested in the politics - just the game. <p> - It's playtime now and I'm going caching - cyal8r :lol:

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 09 January 05 10:30 am

I also like the AUxxxx or GAxxxx (although I prefer AU being AUssie).

Reason being is that new caches that pop up into my GPSr have higher xxxx so are sorted at the bottom.

Also with an etrex I'm restricted to 6 digits. My etrex in less than 12 months old so I'd prefer not to have buy a new one just to get 8 characters.

Having worked in the IT industry for many years, there are always the problems (as has been identified before) that meaningful names 'run out'. This only causes confusion down the track when you want to add in a new value for a field but it no longer fits the meaningful name.

Go with AUxxxx or GAxxxx and you start out with unmeaningful names so everybody is just as confused. :D

Also going with AUxxxx or GAxxxx means that I can easily identify which site I need to log the find on. GC for gc.com AU/GA for gc.com.au other names for other sites. Should give my brain one less thing to confuse itself about.

I would prefer that the site gave the name. It would be frustrating to sit in front of the PC trying to come up with a meaningful name and then finding it 'taken'. Then rinse, repeat and frustration comes up pretty quick. Let the system do it.