Logless cache idea

Discussion about the Geocaching Australia web site
caughtatwork

Re: Logless cache idea

Post by caughtatwork » 28 June 23 3:02 pm

Please note that the discussion around "Earth Science Caches" has been split into a new topic for further exploration and discussion.

wayn0

Post by wayn0 » 29 June 23 10:23 am

For my points I consider EcoCache and EarthScienceCache to be separate ideas, even though the original post was about a logless idea which could be used for both.
I had both topics in the one post so I split the contents to save any confusion..

Now_To_Morrow wrote:
26 June 23 10:51 am
Below is an image of just 4 baskets I've made.

A. All bark, nothing else. It's lasted a year and been dragged all over the place and used often. Never been mended. Still going strong.
B. Coiled coconut husk and plastic-free thread. With a lid it would be a VERY hardy long lasting cache container, so long as no one wanted to take it instead of the swag. This is about 2 years old.
C. Twined bark and plastic-free thread. This one has been hanging in rain and sun for about 9 months and still going strong.
D. Small coconut, coconut husk and plastic-free thread. Has been used as a hanging flower pot by my daughter for the last 18 months. Still going strong.
mattyrx wrote:
26 June 23 1:45 pm
Maybe rather than a Logless cache type we could have something like an EcoCache. This could be a new cache type that:

• Includes Physical Caches designed to be biodegradable eventually (i.e. not made of metal, glass, plastic but natural materials). Either a biodegradable log book is attached (e.g. people write their name on a popsicle stick and pop it into the container), or a codeword can be used to log it. If someone want to place swag, it should be made from natural things from the area. (i.e. An EcoCache hidden on the beach could hold some shells collected from near by, an EcoCache on in the forest could contain things woven and created from materials found nearby)

• Includes virtual caches, where cachers must answer questions in order to get the codeword to log the cache (like our History caches, and be of a similar theme to GC’s EarthCaches, but allow it to be expanded further than geology, into other natural science stuff including botany and zoology etc.

Great work and excellent ideas! In my humble opinion this could be the start of something big :)

---

Let me elaborate on my last post.. Some people and groups see geocaching as organised littering. For example, over 10 years ago, significant discussions took place within the management of QLD National Parks about it and this is just one local example.
Technically, a geocache could be considered litter under relevant legislation …
Traditional geocaching and certain variants of the activity can be legitimately carried out on many QPWS managed areas providing a suitable receptacle is used and other codes of practice and activity guidelines are adhered to.
Geocaching on QPWS managed areas (PDF)

Key words in the second quote, suitable receptacle

Let’s give the EcoCache idea a run.

Now_To_Morrow has a few great container concepts and Matty’s ideas that follow it are well thought out.

Things seem fine now but potentially, EcoCaching may well be the future of this game, where the container and everything in it must be biodegradable. This may of course never happen but if a future policy is created that states every geocache from X date must be biodegradable.. well..

Do we maybe follow later or pioneer today?

Geocaching.com may go down that road one day if pressured enough. I don’t know how much power councils or governments have over this. Obviously many players would ignore this and then there would have to be a formal definition of biodegradable etc etc etc

I see no negatives to having this cache type (except for maybe the odd new player embracing the eco thing too much and giving hate to all things plastic haha). It may be slow to take off but so be it. It may not even be popular to start with but it’s something that has significant growth potential as it will be in the back of all our minds when considering a hide. I can also see this as something that could evolve and improve over time as the community hopefully becomes enthusiastic about it - sharing container ideas, new materials, construction techniques etc

Another idea could be not to have another cache type but to add a tag to eco-friendly caches as a way to search for them. I can also see a potential future attribute being created over at GC, “Eco-friendly”.

It would be cool to say Geocaching Australia did it first

I was thinking about all of this during a three hour drive this evening. I arrived at my accommodation and put a bunch of thoughts into my notes app then decided to add some of it here. I find when brainstorming it’s good to throw everything on the table.

Now_To_Morrow
3500 or more caches found

Post by Now_To_Morrow » 11 July 23 1:11 pm

I published a multi yesterday and it now somehow requires a code that I did not put on it, cannot remove, and cannot edit to give it a codeword. Any tips on what I should do or what has happened there?

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 11 July 23 1:29 pm

Do you have the GA code? I believe this is a issue with some new code for an upcoming change which I have corrected, but if you could let me know the GA code I can double check.

Now_To_Morrow

Post by Now_To_Morrow » 11 July 23 2:27 pm

GA27321, but it appears to be working now.

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 11 July 23 4:30 pm

\:D/

Team737
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/lee.drury.71066/

Post by Team737 » 21 July 23 9:43 am

I had some thoughts along these lines in the past two weeks, caching in outback WA/NT - it seems most COs have left the area, or never lived here, so maintenance is scant, and containers need to be tough, really tough with the amount of burning that goes on. A codeword/number, legibly stamped into an aluminium/stainless flat-bar would be great, the problem being most would more than likely end up on paper and suffer the same maintenance problems as trad caches.... We just bought a little alphanumeric punch kit from Bunnings for similar with GC caches, it does a great job.

Now_To_Morrow

Post by Now_To_Morrow » 21 July 23 7:17 pm

I bought one of those kits from Bunnings with the intention of using it for my Ten Tin Bars multi (in Tintenbar) but ended up just using numbers on telegraph poles instead. It's ready to get some use should this code idea happen which, judging by the glitch in my multi the other week, may to be in the workings already. [-o<

Now_To_Morrow

Post by Now_To_Morrow » 21 July 23 7:24 pm

Team737 wrote:
21 July 23 9:43 am
for similar with GC caches
I hope you don't mean using codes instead of a log book in GC caches. If the NSW reviewer found out you'd be in trouble. Haha. I mentioned using bamboo (sliced into thin sheets and sanded) instead of paper for a log book and they refused to let me publish it based on bamboo not being on the list of acceptable log book materials, which they sent to me. A lot of things I've signed on weren't in that list either mind you.

Team737

Post by Team737 » 22 July 23 12:00 am

Now_To_Morrow wrote:
21 July 23 7:24 pm
Team737 wrote:
I hope you don't mean using codes instead of a log book in GC caches. If the NSW reviewer found out you'd be in trouble.
No... just for multi stages.... :)

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 24 July 23 10:02 am

Now_To_Morrow wrote:
21 July 23 7:24 pm
Team737 wrote:
I hope you don't mean using codes instead of a log book in GC caches. If the NSW reviewer found out you'd be in trouble. Haha. I mentioned using bamboo (sliced into thin sheets and sanded) instead of paper for a log book and they refused to let me publish it based on bamboo not being on the list of acceptable log book materials, which they sent to me. A lot of things I've signed on weren't in that list either mind you.
I would love to see that list. Especially as I can't easily find a reference to any "suitable" log book materials at GC.

mattyrx
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!

Post by mattyrx » 24 July 23 11:04 am

I can't find a list either, only the following ‘guidelines’ in their help system.
For all physical caches, there must be a logbook for geocachers to record their visit. The logbook must be
• Physical
• Replaceable
• Easy to sign
• Enclosed within a container
Examples: Notebook, paper scroll.
Would be nice for GC to elaborate further if they are going to deny cache publication when your bamboo log fits the criteria defined in their help system. Might be the case of a reviewer deciding to enforce a few rules of their own. Surely that would never happen though… :roll:

Team737

Post by Team737 » 24 July 23 4:27 pm

I've signed a wooden dowel before as the 'log'.... (GC cache)

Now_To_Morrow

Post by Now_To_Morrow » 24 July 23 8:44 pm

To be fair it wasn't just the log book alone they knocked me back on but a non-waterproof container. They made it very clear that I would have to rectify both issues to get it published. And that's why it's a GCA cache now. Haha.

Now_To_Morrow

Post by Now_To_Morrow » 24 July 23 8:52 pm

mattyrx wrote:
24 July 23 11:04 am
For all physical caches, there must be a logbook for geocachers to record their visit. The logbook must be
• Physical
• Replaceable
• Easy to sign
• Enclosed within a container
Examples: Notebook, paper scroll.

Would be nice for GC to elaborate further if they are going to deny cache publication when your bamboo log fits the criteria defined in their help system.
Yep, that's what they quoted to me and added
"Note that bamboo is not included."

Maybe they were imagining just round sticks of bamboo.