Treasure moveable thing?

Discussion about the Geocaching Australia web site
Now_To_Morrow
3500 or more caches found

Treasure moveable thing?

Post by Now_To_Morrow » 12 November 22 4:59 pm

Hi.

I'm just wondering what cache type would be suitable if I wanted to hide a cache to be kept by someone, not left forever, and not moved on. I want I hide a few treasures as I travel that a GCA player could find and keep. Once it's been found it's archived. It will require hunting for it just like a geocache. It will most probably require solving a puzzle to get the final coordinates. So it is very geocache-like.

What I'd like to know is should I use the moveable type, or mystery, or should another cache type be created for these? I see it as kind of ephemeral in the true meaning of the word, but not the cache type. It's got a limited time of existence.

I don't want to publish a cache with a major FTF prize and leave a plastic container in the bush where I'll probably never return to so can't really maintain it, therefore kind of leaving rubbish laying around.

Thoughts?

Team737
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/lee.drury.71066/

Re: Treasure moveable thing?

Post by Team737 » 13 November 22 8:05 am

That sounds pretty cool.... a bit like Snag the Tag?
The main issue I can think of is confusion with new players about what they can take and what they can leave....

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 13 November 22 11:41 am

Frustrating for people who have an old GPX file on their device, then come to find the cache and it's gone. Moveable level frustration but never to be found type of frustration. How will you stop someone from logging a "find" which takes it out of the game and then go find it later?

GCA had considered this as a type of cache in the past a Easter Eggs or "Secret Santa", but the difficulty in ensuring the right actions are taken is very challenging and you can't stop one person from finding them all. Even if the site stopped you from logging them, you can still find the container.

A challenge that we (I) haven't been able to overcome. If you were to do this, I'd suggest a Mystery with a codeword and as soon as the cache is logged, you archive it.

Now_To_Morrow

Post by Now_To_Morrow » 13 November 22 3:35 pm

Thanks for your thoughts.
I guess it is a bit like snag the tag. A lot like that.
I hadn't thought about someone logging them without finding them so they can collect them at a later date.