Windmill Tower, Trigpoint Cache?

Discussion about the Geocaching Australia web site
wayn0

Windmill Tower, Trigpoint Cache?

Post by wayn0 » 07 June 22 9:52 am

Hello,

Regarding Windmill Tower in Spring Hill, Brisbane.

I’m wondering if Geocaching Australia can add a Trigpoint cache.

The coordinates are listed in the following website and this is in the History tab..

“Indicative of the prominence of its physical position, the tower served as one of the stations for the trigonometrical survey of the Moreton Bay district”

https://apps.des.qld.gov.au/heritage-re ... ?id=600173

Is this enough for it to be listed? Forgive me if it’s not, I’m in the early stages of my GCA journey.

Regards
Wayne

mattyrx
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!

Re: Windmill Tower, Trigpoint Cache?

Post by mattyrx » 07 June 22 8:48 pm

Hey Wayn0!

You can add the trig yourself – just start by selecting ‘Hide a Geocache’ from the menu. When you start filling out the details, change the cache type to ‘TrigPoint’ and fill out the rest of the details. When you finish completing the form and then press ‘Save’, it will be published immediately. You can edit it at any time if you need to update the description etc, just like any GCA user can edit any TrigPoint.

As for whether you feel it’s a valid Trig point – that opinion could change depending on who you ask. Looking at Queensland Globe, there’s a couple of Survey Marks nearby but it doesn’t look like the Spring Hill Mill is a site currently listed in the Qld Survey Control Register. Saying that, looks like it was one of the first trigpoints used when surveying the Morton area, and it would have been an important landmark for some of QLD’s earliest surveys.

I think that due to the fact it was an important trigonometrical station used for surveying back in the 1830’s, it can be listed as a trigpoint, with maybe some of the relevant history entered into the description.

wayn0

Re: Windmill Tower, Trigpoint Cache?

Post by wayn0 » 07 June 22 9:52 pm

Hi Matty :)

Thanks for your help and advice. I have limited access to the internet at the moment but I’ll sort something out over the next few weeks.

Thanks again, I appreciate it