Cache Owner Log Administration

Discussion about the Geocaching Australia web site
Cybergran V

Re: Cache Owner Log Administration

Post by Cybergran V » 03 May 22 8:49 am

I believe it should remain as it is at the present. I’ve never had any problems except for the odd occasion when I’ve forgotten to upload the necessary photo, and when reminded by the cache owner have been able to insert it.

Now_To_Morrow
3500 or more caches found
3500 or more caches found

Post by Now_To_Morrow » 03 May 22 9:51 am

Sol de Lune wrote:
03 May 22 8:39 am

I've seen a few issues of photo's not being added to a log for trig, but that's about it.
If someone went around deleting some of my past logs made through the GA app for photo required caches, I'd lose a lot of finds. I had an issue with my phone or something. Mtrax tried to fix it but it still happens, so I just don't log trigs through it anymore.

To be honest, no matter which site or what cache type, people play the game their own way and sometimes it might be uneducated or cheating or added requirments forgotten. It happens. Only once on GCA I wanted to delete a someone's wrong cache log after asking the finder to change it but them not responding, but I figured it's just a game. Does it really matter if I've got a bunch of logs on my caches that are cheating or not meeting the requirements. Nope.
Last edited by Now_To_Morrow on 04 May 22 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Team737
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/lee.drury.71066/

Post by Team737 » 03 May 22 10:26 am

mattyrx wrote:
02 May 22 9:41 pm
There’s two sides to every cache log dispute, and allowing a cache owner to delete someones log is pretty one sided. I imagine opencaching.com’s problems started with just a few cachers exerting their power over others, but it ended with factions of people using the review and cache listing system to war with each other. It wasn’t pretty and I imagine one of the major contributors to it’s downfall.

<snip>

To me it all seems a bit too formal though - and it nibbles at the edges of the ‘free and open’ mantra that makes us who we are. We don’t want reviewers for our caches when we list them, and we probably don’t want arbitrators for our logs when we write them.

I do like the idea of the cacher owner being able to encrypt a found log. Handy if spoilers were given away either accidentally or on purpose. This doesn’t bring into question the validity of the find - just stops a log from being read accidentally and giving away some information that could lessen the finding experience for others.
All really well said Matt.
The only thing I would add is - 'free and open' can still have guidelines, and with guidelines comes the need for some kind of enforcement, from someone.... (as we have seen with the jigsaws)

oldfella
10000 or more caches found

Post by oldfella » 03 May 22 11:11 am

Sol de Lune wrote:
How much of an issue is this? I've been around the site for a good few years and have found GCA caches all around the country and don't think this is a huge problem.

I can't see an issue here, maybe some cachers are just use to the GC way of doing things....but as we aren't GC, I don't think any change is required.
I was looking at this in the manner of there has to be a change but does there. I have never had a problem with my finds claimed against any of my GCA hides and I do have quite a few. I also think that any change is required.

Keeper of Time
8500 or more caches found
8500 or more caches found

Post by Keeper of Time » 03 May 22 12:25 pm

As others have said, I don't see an issue with the way it is now.

If it ain't broke ..... don't fix it!!!

Has anyone had any experience where they felt the best way to resolve the issue was to remove a log? If so maybe they can discuss it here. I have been caching on both GC and CGA for many years and I have only had 1 issue on GCA which was resolved by direct communication with the other cacher. I have has a few of my GC caches logged by teams that clearly enjoyed sitting in an armchair more than getting out into the world but that is OK they are only fooling themselves.

I think giving the cache owner the ability to remove logs has the potential to create more issues than it is ever going to solve.

Admin removal of logs for abuse or foul language etc has always been available if necessary but generally the admin people should not be called upon to play the caching police.

parislaura
1100 or more caches found
1100 or more caches found

Post by parislaura » 03 May 22 1:28 pm

Quite often I see that people have added a duplicate log on one of my caches, usually from the app and I have been unable to delete the 2nd log. Id be happy to be able to do that.

I also recently had someone put a comment on one of my caches that was not really needed, thankfully they deleted it before I asked them to do so.

I am not really bothered otherwise though, I wouldn't change or delete someone's log unless there was an error.

Just a cacher

Post by Just a cacher » 03 May 22 1:31 pm

I like the system the way it is.

I assume that admins would remove a log at cache owner request if it was obscene, or offensive against particular groups (such as racist remarks). I hope it doesn't come up too often. If it is frequent, we should do something about it, of course.

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 04 May 22 9:09 am

Don't assume the site admins will be in a position or want to be in a position to do anything. There is only one admin that has access to delete logs. I don't want to be in a position where it's all put on one person or even a small group of people. Interest waxes and wanes and when all the admins stop doing it, we will have logs that need administration and there is no one to do it.

Let's have a discussion where the community can self service their needs rather than seek someone else to do it for them.

JohnoMawbs

Post by JohnoMawbs » 04 May 22 4:02 pm

I own caches on both GC and GCA.

GC: I find that I have more trouble with people incorrectly logging caches on GC. Because of this, I find myself asking Geocachers for proof of find and/or deleting incorrect found logs about 5 times a month.

GCA: However, there are only a couple of times (about 10 total), I needed to ask people to fix their GCA logs. This is manly due to their photos had failed to upload, with their found logs on my virtual caches.

From my point of view, I feel that it isn't needed for GCA and I am still happy to do what I was doing before, which is: send through a quick message if there are any problems with the log they provided.

oldfella

Post by oldfella » 04 May 22 5:05 pm

JohnoMawbs wrote:
04 May 22 4:02 pm
I own caches on both GC and GCA.

GCA: However, there are only a couple of times (about 10 total), I needed to ask people to fix their GCA logs. This is manly due to their photos had failed to upload, with their found logs on my virtual caches.

From my point of view, I feel that it isn't needed for GCA and I am still happy to do what I was doing before, which is: send through a quick message if there are any problems with the log they provided.
I have endured the same sort of problems. Also mainly with photos for proof on my Virtual. Agree entirely with JohnoMawbs Post. Have had little to no problems with my numerous GA hides.

Just a cacher

Post by Just a cacher » 04 May 22 6:56 pm

caughtatwork wrote:
04 May 22 9:09 am
Don't assume the site admins will be in a position or want to be in a position to do anything. There is only one admin that has access to delete logs. I don't want to be in a position where it's all put on one person or even a small group of people. Interest waxes and wanes and when all the admins stop doing it, we will have logs that need administration and there is no one to do it.

Let's have a discussion where the community can self service their needs rather than seek someone else to do it for them.
Right. Well, either an admin or group of admins sort out the more serious issues as required, or it's open slather for cache owners and cache loggers to get precious, vicious, or whatever, and start small wars, if so inclined.

Team737
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/lee.drury.71066/

Post by Team737 » 04 May 22 8:46 pm

caughtatwork wrote:
04 May 22 9:09 am
<snip> and when all the admins stop doing it, we will have logs that need administration and there is no one to do it.

If the problem is that there may/will be logs that need administration, then power to administer needs to be delegated from site admins. I can only see two choices - appointed reviewers, or cache owners. I don't think anyone really wants reviewers on GA.....
I don't think your average cache owner is being given enough credit for being a reasonable person either. I get the opinion some people think we'll start deleting logs for sport if given the power! :) Until recently I didn't even know I couldn't delete someones log, so I haven't missed it.

blossom*
3000 or more caches found
3000 or more caches found

Post by blossom* » 06 May 22 11:28 am

Sol de Lune wrote:
How much of an issue is this? I've been around the site for a good few years and have found GCA caches all around the country and don't think this is a huge problem.

I've seen a few issues of photo's not being added to a log for trig, but that's about it. Profanity....haven't seen any of that (your opinion of what profanity is may differ to mine of course). Spoilers in logs...haven't read anything in the puzzles that we have that tell me where, or give me a hint as to where the cache was located.

I can't see an issue here, maybe some cachers are just use to the GC way of doing things....but as we aren't GC, I don't think any change is required.
Yes, I agree with Sol de Lune on all his points. I know there are sometimes people who log a find when it's obvious that they didn't go there at all, but does it really matter? They are only fooling themselves, there's no money riding on it. Similarly with the photo required caches, does it really matter?

As far as spoilers or rude language goes, perhaps the ability for an owner to encrypt the log would be a simple way to hide the offending log?

Tuena
6500 or more caches found
6500 or more caches found

Post by Tuena » 06 May 22 12:45 pm

Sol de Lune wrote:

I've seen a few issues of photo's not being added to a log for trig, but that's about it. Profanity....haven't seen any of that (your opinion of what profanity is may differ to mine of course). Spoilers in logs...haven't read anything in the puzzles that we have that tell me where, or give me a hint as to where the cache was located.

I'm of the same opinion, no change required.

2y'stassies

Post by 2y'stassies » 06 May 22 11:42 pm

[quoSol de Lune wrote: ↑03 May 22 7:39 am

I can't see an issue here, maybe some cachers are just use to the GC way of doing things....but as we aren't GC, I don't think any change is required.te][/quote]

I agree with the points made by Sol de Lune.

In the past when logs haven't met our cache requirements, photo not included has been the main one a message to the cacher has seen either them adding the missing information or deleting the log so as far as we are concerned no change is needed.