Cache Owner Log Administration

Discussion about the Geocaching Australia web site
Goldenwattle
10000 or more caches found

Re: Cache Owner Log Administration

Post by Goldenwattle » 07 May 22 3:40 pm

I have only checked a few of my GA cache logs and never found a false log, unlike with my GC cache logs, where I regularly find missing logs and delete finds (after contacting the logger and asking for other proof). Because I have never found any missing logs on GA, I didn't know that logs couldn't be deleted. I trust GA cachers more than GC cachers not to log false finds. Less, as I have heard it described, muggles with phones on GA and more committed and experienced cachers.

The last cache of mine I went to check, recently in Wattle Flat, was missing so no log to check. The tree cover for the cache had also been chopped away leaving the area more exposed, so that one I archived. I had planned to check the log, but had fully expected to find all signatures. It was more the log condition I was planning to check.

tronador
6500 or more caches found
6500 or more caches found

Post by tronador » 07 May 22 9:37 pm

I've never had a problem with logs on GCA but as this is free and open, Id like the option of being in control of my caches. And that includes the logs.
Eg, the only time I've wanted to delete a log on GCA is when cacher had posted the same log twice. Having to ask them to remove one didn't work. They didn't respond. I wanted to clean the duplicate up and couldn't.
By not allowing CO to be completely in control of their cache, is the site really Free and Open. Just because you have the option to do this didn't mean everyone is going to be deleting logs every day. The best thing about this site is that those of us here, use common sense..... deletion of logs is no different.

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 11 May 22 1:55 pm

Thanks for all the feedback.

There is an overwhelming position that the status quo should be retained. This, alas, puts deletion of logs on to the admins so we will need to identify how we can have someone take on that role.

There is, however, a desire to be able to delete "inadvertent" duplicate finds. So I will look into a solution where, other than a Locationless or Moveable cache, if there is more than one find for a cacher, the cache owner can change one of them into a "note". That will have an impact on dZ points but the result is no different that if the log owner made the change.

I'll also look to allow the cache owner to "encrypt" (ROT13) the log in the event that the CO decides there is a spoiler.

I will also look to see if we can allow log owners to delete logs that come in via external feeds. While you can delete you own GCA logs, you can't do that for external logs. This will remove the admins need to do that work freeing them up to do, well, anything other than admin.

Just a cacher

Post by Just a cacher » 11 May 22 2:21 pm

Okay. Do we need a team for this? What sort of workload do you think we might encounter?
I'm always happy to do my bit.

oldfella

Post by oldfella » 11 May 22 3:29 pm

Just a cacher wrote:
11 May 22 2:21 pm
Okay. Do we need a team for this? What sort of workload do you think we might encounter?
I'm always happy to do my bit.
I am available le to assist if required.

mattyrx
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!

Post by mattyrx » 11 May 22 10:43 pm

I'll put my hand up to help with this.

To help make the admin role easier, maybe an owner of a cache has a 'Report' or 'Dispute' or 'Action' option next to each of their caches logs. This could also be a time based feature - e.g. A log can only be reported within 30 days of being written. This keeps any disputes current and stop old issues from being dredged up.

Not sure of the complexity, but a workflow could be designed where when a log is 'reported', the cache owner gets a simple form with a drop down box to select the reason, then maybe a field for a comment. Reasons could be:
  • Profanity - i.e. Rude or offensive comments in log.
  • Incorrect Cache Logged - e.g. I've seen a couple of caches logged before that were either Traditionals or Virtuals - but were frequently logged as Found by mistake. Their GA code had been added to a list of GA Codes that described a bag of movables that were circulating at an event a thousand miles away, meaning finds for a challenging virtual at the top of a local mountain were being repeatedly logged as "Found at the xxx event'
  • Incorrect Log Type - e.g. Cache logged as found, but the log contents clearly describe a DNF.
  • Spoilers Given - Selecting this option would just convert the log to ROT13 and not trigger an event for an admin to action.
  • Duplicate Log - A check is done and if the log is found to be a duplicate, the log is deleted without the need for an admin to action.
You could get really fancy if there were three admins for the deletion process. When presented with a dispute, Admins get a simple YES/NO vote on weather the log fits the criteria for deletion - the majority will get their way ... although if logs requiring deletion are infrequent as what some have mentioned, maybe a simple post to the forums requesting the cache log admin faeries assist with the deletion might be all that is required.