Main map - state breakdown

Discussion about the Geocaching Australia web site
Team737
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/lee.drury.71066/

Main map - state breakdown

Post by Team737 » 22 April 22 8:36 pm

My most common way of using the GA map, is to click NSW in the main map on the homepage.... works well - unless you are in a border area, and cross border caches don't show up unless you go back and select that map.
Another issue I've just noted, and it is quite specific - is Norfolk Island - there are now three GA caches here, all designated differently, mainly because it seems Norfolk doesn't match the country/state requirement - clearly it is part of Aus, but is it part of a state, probably a matter for debate!
I know I can use the 'Search for a geocache' box below the map to short circuit the above probs, but my questions are -
Is there a reason the state delineations are needed in the main map (we do seem to now be one country again after all!)?
Could an 'AUS' button or 'ALL' button be added?
Could the map displayed not be bounded by state boundaries, but perhaps just start off in the state selected? (then show everything as the map is scrolled)
Maybe I should just get used to using the search box.... :)
Thanks for listening!

Now_To_Morrow
3500 or more caches found

Re: Main map - state breakdown

Post by Now_To_Morrow » 23 April 22 4:05 am

I'd like to see the choice to select the whole nation map from the homepage too. In the near past I used the homepage map to plan adventures. I nearly missed a GCA in an awesome location late last year because it was juuuust over the border. Would have missed it if it wasn't pointed out to me. I didn't even know it existed because of the way I used the maps on the homepage.

Although, we could just get into the habit of using the menu option.

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 23 April 22 9:24 am

4 new selectors on the main page.

Australia Map and New Zealand Map at the top of the map.
Australia and New Zealand at the bottom of the map for a list.

Enjoy.

Team737

Post by Team737 » 23 April 22 10:15 am

Awesome, thanks for that update....
Without sounding unappreciative.... is it possible to have the map then start off from your home location, but then show all caches irrespective of states (or even countries) as you scroll around?

Norfolk is still affected - one of the caches there is listed as being in the country 'Norfolk Island' one as 'Norfolk Island, NSW, Australia', and one as 'Norfolk Island, Unknown, Australia'.... :D

Now_To_Morrow

Post by Now_To_Morrow » 23 April 22 1:41 pm

Love the new changes. Thank you so much.

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 26 April 22 9:36 am

Team737 wrote:
23 April 22 10:15 am
Norfolk is still affected - one of the caches there is listed as being in the country 'Norfolk Island' one as 'Norfolk Island, NSW, Australia', and one as 'Norfolk Island, Unknown, Australia'.... :D
Which ones? I don't want to play find the cache. Please help me out by providing a link to their listing.

Norfolk Island has it's own country code. NF. https://laendercode.net/en/country/nf
If you choose NF then it gets the country code of NF. If you select Australia its get the country code of AU. This is user choice, right wrong or indifferent.

As far being in NSW or "unknown" this come back from the Open Street Map API we use to determine the locale. If that API does not have a locale name when it returns, then we set it to Unknown. Occasionally we use invalid data because the OSM API is unavailable and we use that lat/lon to get the closest known state. I that case it's NSW. Clicking the "update locality" link on the page tends to rectify that.

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 26 April 22 9:41 am

Team737 wrote:
Without sounding unappreciative.... is it possible to have the map then start off from your home location, but then show all caches irrespective of states (or even countries) as you scroll around?
If you want a search from your home co-ordinates then you really shouldn't be using the main map. That's for selecting a country or state and the centre point of the map is set to the centre point of the country (if we know it).

If you want a search centred on your home co-ordinates then you should click on the "Map Now" button in the "Search for a Geocache (Home or Current Location)" section. If you leave the default of "Geocaching Australia" selected that will show you caches at your home location and then you can scroll around and it will not be state restricted.

Team737

Post by Team737 » 26 April 22 11:54 am

caughtatwork wrote:
26 April 22 9:41 am
Team737 wrote:
If you want a search centred on your home co-ordinates then you should click on the "Map Now" button in the "Search for a Geocache (Home or Current Location)" section.
Thanks, since I posted my initial reply, I've started doing that now....