(dragonZone) Moveables being scored for each find by the same geocacher

Discussion about the Geocaching Australia web site
parislaura
1100 or more caches found
1100 or more caches found

Re: (dragonZone) Moveables being scored for each find by the same geocacher

Post by parislaura » 06 April 22 3:46 pm

Moveable caches is my favorite part of GCA caching, sometimes I have found a GCA that I have found a number of years before and get a bit of a kick out of logging it again and seeing the moveable again. Admittedly I really still do not really understand how the dragonZone works, I allocate deploy points when I can and cap orbs, but I have to say I really need someone to sit and explain to me how that part of the game works.
Being in SA with not too many active players, I don't think I can compete when players come and 'mark their territory' :oops: with DZ points, I dont mind that though either

I do kind of think though if you are going to the effort to actively find a cache you should probably get the points to go with it.

Just a cacher

Post by Just a cacher » 06 April 22 4:29 pm

I don't understand dragonzone, either, I'm afraid. Someone taught me how to allocate points, so I just give maximum points possible to everything I find. That's why I don't care whether or not movables have points allocated every time they're found.

stainless-steel-rat

Post by stainless-steel-rat » 06 April 22 11:13 pm

I used to really enjoy moveables and I placed small ones, large ones, series of cars and the like and then after finding some 'sets' I placed a couple of my own.
When it came to games they were a great source of finds in an otherwise little changed playing field, with the continued tweaking of the rules to appease the players that didn't do well in the last game it became harder and harder to get any fun out of it after reading the posts of people throwing stones from glass houses about players bending the rules of not playing the way someone else does.

It's hard to be positive about moveables when the squeaky wheels have over time damaged them irreparably and any changes now will do little to fix the situation.

sirius Tas
3500 or more caches found

Post by sirius Tas » 10 April 22 1:10 pm

The cats already out of the bag so to speak, so any change now totally useless.
The points amassed in the past by multiple finds wont change so why bother now?
I personally don't give a rats fig about dz and anything associated with it, only interested in finding great locations and the enjoyment that comes with it.

budgietas
10000 or more caches found

Post by budgietas » 10 April 22 4:47 pm

Well, i can certainly see both sides.
In the end, people find moveables because there is little else to find.
I would Hate to see the removal of movable dragon zone points only to then have a challenge to get a number of dragon zone points and there is nothing to find!!!
But With there being no games, gca seems pretty quite at the moment. Interestingly GC.com has been running simple games, and straight after one finished another has started, so they might have seen a spike in finds due to the games??

The gca website is superior in many ways, but when it is only used by a faction of the people doing geocaching, which is still not mainstream.

Points on moveables while I understand it might not be the change that is needed?

oldfella

Post by oldfella » 11 April 22 7:07 am

I am not in a locality/state where I can get into Dragon Zone in a big way. Some manipulate dragon Zone to suit them selves and their team to gain points. It is only a game and every one plays it their own way to their own/team benefit it appears.

It is way too late to make any changes to moveables for Dragon Zone as has been stated the damage has already been done. I am for leaving it as it is but as I said any changes will not affect me.

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 11 April 22 9:21 am

budgietas wrote:
10 April 22 4:47 pm
But With there being no games, gca seems pretty quite at the moment. Interestingly GC.com has been running simple games, and straight after one finished another has started, so they might have seen a spike in finds due to the games??
That came about due to too many complaints and a general discussion that said we shouldn't run games. If there is a new desire to run some games, then a new thread can be started to discuss whether the pause on games has been long enough and whether we would like to start new games either as a competition between players or a game of achievement just for yourself.

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 11 April 22 10:17 am

sirius Tas wrote:
10 April 22 1:10 pm
The cats already out of the bag so to speak, so any change now totally useless.
The points amassed in the past by multiple finds wont change so why bother now?
We may not be able to change the past, but we change the future, hopefully for the better.
sirius Tas wrote:
10 April 22 1:10 pm
I personally don't give a rats fig about dz and anything associated with it, only interested in finding great locations and the enjoyment that comes with it.
We'll take that into account when reviewing the community responses.

Now_To_Morrow

Post by Now_To_Morrow » 11 April 22 1:24 pm

caughtatwork wrote:
11 April 22 9:21 am
If there is a new desire to run some games, then a new thread can be started to discuss whether the pause on games has been long enough and whether we would like to start new games either as a competition between players or a game of achievement just for yourself.
Yes, new discussion thread please. I think one game a year is good. Loved battleships last year honestly.

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 11 April 22 2:02 pm

No_Tomorrow wrote:
11 April 22 1:24 pm
caughtatwork wrote:
11 April 22 9:21 am
If there is a new desire to run some games, then a new thread can be started to discuss whether the pause on games has been long enough and whether we would like to start new games either as a competition between players or a game of achievement just for yourself.
Yes, new discussion thread please. I think one game a year is good. Loved battleships last year honestly.
You may start one if you feel inclined.

oldfella

Post by oldfella » 11 April 22 3:56 pm

Games advantage some and disadvantage others, like me,due to location/state so I am definitely still not in favour of games. Wrong thread I know.

Goldenwattle

Post by Goldenwattle » 11 April 22 6:41 pm

I find that moveables are often picked up by members of a clan and then passed around other members of a clan, then held for weeks; even longer, before finally being released when away from the local area, preventing other local clans from getting them hands on them. I don't believe this is accidental but their strategy, which means others from other clans miss out. This is done by mostly one clan. A reason I have mostly given up this game. I as a single player can't compete with the mob. They can dominate and play the game for themselves. I now have no interest in competing.
A gripe, but a reason why I have lost most of my interest. The game is lop-sided, dominated by those who play in mobs, and that entity has a lot of points to play with, and they can take in turns to wipe of the points of the individual members of other teams.

Smittengranny

Post by Smittengranny » 12 April 22 8:26 am

I have always found what appears to happen with moveables as rather curious. Surely the idea of geocaching is to go out and find a cache, to use geocaching as a fun exciting way to get into the outdoors and hopefully discover something or somewhere new in our country full of great hidey holes.

I admit that I too have been guilty of passing moveables around a group of friends before they are taken to distant places . On the whole however I will try to only log a cache once. In the beginning, as a newbie, I didn't understand locationless caches for instance and didn't add the coordinates for each one and even now I sometimes log a cache numerous times due to bad internet and my impatience .

However, if every moveable contained a log that had to be signed and points of any kind were only awarded for the first time it is ever found by each person, I think this would be of benefit to the game. The caches would move away from each area more quickly allowing more cachers opportunities to find them thus opening up the game. If each cache log had to be signed individually people might think twice about numerous caches in a big bundle.

As to why people do log the same moveable numerous times, who am I to know what goes through some people's minds and I certainly don't waste my time asking them.

So my vote is for one moveable one point only in its lifetime per person.

Thanks for listening.

sirius Tas

Post by sirius Tas » 12 April 22 9:15 am

Hi Smittengranny......agree with an individual log for each moveable.
An easy way to stop lumping a large number of moveables together would be to introduce a minimum distance apart for all GA caches....say 50m e.g.(arbitrary only...up for discussion).
It often baffles me as why there has never been any distance separation as occurs in GC...but the often said reply to things like that is 'GA has no rules'......but we can plainly see how that has played out.
But as soon as things go awry...the rules soon appear....all at the whim of those at the GA helm.

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 12 April 22 9:35 am

sirius Tas wrote:
12 April 22 9:15 am
But as soon as things go awry...the rules soon appear....all at the whim of those at the GA helm.
Beg pardon? The "rules" of geocaching are not being changed. The discussion is on points in dragonZone for any subsequent find. Not for multiple finds. You can find a cache as many times as you want. What we are discussing here is whether we award dZ points for only the first find on a moveable geocache. That's not a rule of geocaching.

If you would like to a discussion on distance between geocaches (as you suggest 50m or so for distance between moveable geocaches), then another thread should be started because that's not on topic for this thread.