Deleting your own logs on GCA for GC caches

Discussion about the Geocaching Australia web site
Laighside Legends
10000 or more caches found

Deleting your own logs on GCA for GC caches

Post by Laighside Legends » 11 April 21 9:03 pm

How do you delete your own logs on GCA now? (for Groundspeak caches)
You used to be able to click the "Edit" on the top right of the log, then click delete. But the "Edit" button seems to be gone now?

For context: there's a Groundspeak cache where my log over there got accidentally deleted so I re-logged it and all was fine. But somewhere in someone's GSAK is the original log (now deleted on GC) that occasionally gets re-imported into GCA. It only happens once every year or two so I usually just go and delete the extra one on GCA whenever re-appears on GCA. But now I can't anymore?

(I'm definitely logged in - the thicker black border around my own logs is showing as usual)

caughtatwork

Re: Deleting your own logs on GCA for GC caches

Post by caughtatwork » 12 April 21 10:16 am

I can't recall every having the ability to edit logs from the GC site for general community members. You may have some administrative permissions in the past which allowed that to happen, but the code that detects whether the cache can be edited is rather old and restricts it to just the owner for a GCA cache or an administrator for anything.

If you post the log here we can arrange for it to be deleted.

Laighside Legends

Post by Laighside Legends » 12 April 21 2:37 pm

So I went to grab the link to the log to paste here...

The "view log" button is gone on all the logs from GC to. Not sure why that is missing?
I was still able to find the view log page by pulling the log ID number from the "Like Log" button and editing the URL. (doing this on your own logs without a like button was another story)

Anyhow, once I found the ID number of my log, I was able to delete it myself by putting the ID into the usual edit log URL.
So it looks like permissions haven't changed, but the link to the edit log page has been removed.

Anyhow, "View Log" should still be an option for all logs from GC I would've thought?

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 12 April 21 6:16 pm

OK, sounds reasonable. Will be done for the next release. You can delete but not edit an external log.