gecoaching.com backgrounds [closed]

Discussion about the Geocaching Australia web site
Team Red Devil
50 or more caches found
50 or more caches found

gecoaching.com backgrounds [closed]

Post by Team Red Devil » 04 January 05 5:49 pm

hey all, this question relates to the geocaching.com site- but I wasn't sure where to put it. <br>
<br>
How do you change the backgrounds on your cache pages? Is it a premium service or can the average schmoe do it too? <br>
<br>
Marie - TRD.

leek
250 or more caches found
250 or more caches found

Post by leek » 04 January 05 6:01 pm

The average Schmoe can do it... It's all done in HTML coding within the description... Try including something along the lines of:

<BODY BACKGROUND="http://img.groundspeak.com/cache/32463_200.jpg" BGPROPERTIES="fixed">

at the beginning of your cache description and then tick the box that says "The descriptions below are in HTML"... You will need to store the picture somewhere on the web... I store my leek as an uploaded photo on an archived cache.

Unfortunately you will need to do a little more than that to make your whole page look presentable, but using some basic HTML tags it shouldn't take you too long...
Last edited by leek on 04 January 05 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 04 January 05 6:01 pm

Average schmoe can do it.

Your description needs to be in HTML (this means putting in <p> for paragraph marks, etc and ticking the box that says your description is in HTML) and then you add the following line as the first line of your description:

<body background="http://www.yourhostname.com/yourimagename.jpg">

Not terribly elegant, but it works.

leek
250 or more caches found
250 or more caches found

Post by leek » 04 January 05 6:05 pm

SNAP!

Lt. Sniper
Outdoor Adventurer

Post by Lt. Sniper » 04 January 05 7:50 pm

I use a background and it works great for my caches, all of my caches current and unreleased use the same theme.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_de ... 785bafda12

EDIT: hands off my background!
Last edited by Lt. Sniper on 04 January 05 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Team Red Devil
50 or more caches found
50 or more caches found

Post by Team Red Devil » 04 January 05 8:42 pm

I just love that background Sniper! *Dons her fatigues* hehehehehe! Now ya can't see me! <br>
<br>
Thanks for the replies- I guess when I eventually (sooooonnnn I hope!!) get a cache on there I'll have figured out how to make the cool backgrounds. :) <br>
<br>
Marie-TRD

Lt. Sniper
Outdoor Adventurer

Post by Lt. Sniper » 04 January 05 9:10 pm

The great thing about the Cache submission page is that you can work on your page without releasing it to the public.

Submit a cache and make sure all the required fields are filled but donÂ’t select the "Yes, this cache is currently active." check box.

This way you can preview what your cache will look like with different colour themes.

Team Piggy

Post by Team Piggy » 04 January 05 9:52 pm

NOw you have all forgotten, that with the HTML box ticked, you may also have to put in all the paragraph & breaks in html to make your page look OK.

<BR> <p> </P> etc..

leek
250 or more caches found
250 or more caches found

Post by leek » 04 January 05 10:03 pm

Team Piggy wrote:NOw you have all forgotten, that with the HTML box ticked, you may also have to put in all the paragraph & breaks in html to make your page look OK.

<BR> <p> </P> etc..
I think I made a reference to that... It might have been a little vague though...

Team Piggy

Post by Team Piggy » 04 January 05 10:15 pm

Yes, I scanned thru the posts but didnt click on yours, you have kind of explained that too , thanks Leek.. :wink:

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 05 January 05 10:12 am

caughtatwork wrote:(this means putting in <p> for paragraph marks, etc and ticking the box that says your description is in HTML)
Did so :P

Team Red Roo
5500 or more caches found
5500 or more caches found

Post by Team Red Roo » 05 January 05 1:01 pm

pm on the way...

Lt. Sniper
Outdoor Adventurer

Post by Lt. Sniper » 05 January 05 2:39 pm

I noticed some of you upload the images you use for your cache pages on the acctual cache page it self.<br><br>

A perfect example:
http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_de ... 08d8a9289b
<br>3 pictures used for making the page but they are listed as part of the cache.<br><br>

<br><br>

If you upload the pictures to your profile then they wont clog up the cache page, just refer to the images URLs from your profile.<br><br>

To upload pics to your profile then go here:
http://www.geocaching.com/my/upload.aspx<br><br>

That way you end up with something like this:
http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_de ... c6b45b006f
<br>
I use 2 images, a background and the titile of the cache on a part of the cammo background.

teamkittens
400 or more spectacular views seen
400 or more spectacular views seen

Post by teamkittens » 05 January 05 3:35 pm

General hint for everyone using background, try and use one thats nice and subtle so we can read the text on a pocket pc without highlighting everything in a pocket query. ;)<br>
<br>
---- Alex

Geof
450 or more roots tripped over
450 or more roots tripped over

Post by Geof » 05 January 05 3:59 pm

Submit a cache and make sure all the required fields are filled but don’t select the "Yes, this cache is currently active." check box.
If you do this will your cache appear at or near the top of the list when it is approved or in the list at the date you started work on it?

If the answer is at the top of the list, can you get caches approved that are not yet active and release them when you want?