Main map navigation

Discussion about the Geocaching Australia web site
Team737
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/lee.drury.71066/

Main map navigation

Post by Team737 » 17 December 20 6:57 am

I'm not sure if this is something that can be fixed, or even needs to be, but it gives me grief almost every time I use the main map.....
If I want to check a listing to do a log or whatever - the map always starts at home, fair enough - then I scroll to the cache, click it to bring up the floating info box. If I forget to [command]-click the cache name here (and I forget this *a lot*!), to force a new tab, the cache opens over the top of the map tab, then if I back up to it, it has reset to home again. Lots of fun if I'm logging a list of stuff from the ACT!

So my questions are:
- can the map be forced to start at a different location? ie with a bookmark. That's what I do with geocaching.com, I have bookmarks for maps centred all over the country for quick navigation.
- can the map be forced with a setting to always open caches in new tabs?

Thanks for reading....

caughtatwork

Re: Main map navigation

Post by caughtatwork » 17 December 20 8:50 am

The maps start at a location as provided.
  • For generic map i.e. Ones that have no user set criteria, of course we have little to know where you want them to start so we start from a logical place according to the data being presented.
  • For a My Query i.e. selection criteria that you can set, then you can determine the centre point of the map in the "Sort by Closest to" criteria. You can choose from Waypoint, Postcode, HOME, Co-ordinates.
So if you have a map set you want to look at time and again, I recommend you create a My Query (there is no limit to the number of Queries you can create, 10, 100, 1000, 10000 we don't care). Then set your criteria and a centre point. Tada. Endless lists of maps centered where you could like.

You can also add the maps to your GCA Favourites and then under your Favourites in the Man Navigation Slider you can click on Favourites and choose accordingly.

When you click on a cache on the map and the information box pops up, you can click on the name of the cache to go to the cache page in the same tab or if you click the little box to the right of the cache name, it will open in a new tab. That solution has been there for some years now.

Team737
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/lee.drury.71066/

Re: Main map navigation

Post by Team737 » 17 December 20 10:41 am

Bugger me, the solution was right there, it even says so when you hover over that symbol ](*,) :oops: :roll: ..... thanks!

Maps - I'll use the queries, that's a good idea - Cheers.....