My Query limits

Discussion about the Geocaching Australia web site
Team737
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/lee.drury.71066/

My Query limits

Post by Team737 » 04 September 20 12:10 pm

I've been testing a lot with queries and GPSr symbols lately....
Am I going to bump into a My Query limit, in terms of numbers of queries etc??
Also - when making a query for a radius, if I leave the no of caches blank I get 100 returned, and have been inserting a large number to just get everything within the radius - is this right? I don't want to overly tax the system....
As a test I ran a big query and it looks like it gave me every trig from Sydney to the WA border.... I wish GC.com would work like that! :)

caughtatwork

Re: My Query limits

Post by caughtatwork » 07 September 20 12:02 pm

You have no limits to the number of queries you can store. They're simple database entries of a hundred bytes or so. No need to restrict something like that.

If you leave the number of geocaches to return at 0 (or blank) it will default to 100. We want people to make a choice and not download everything as that would blow our bandwidth limit. You can set the value to 1000 or 5000 or 10000 if you like, but ... be mindful about what you are trying to download and how many you can reasonably physically get to before you can just download another 100. Be respectful of the system, other users and our bandwidth and try to select only those caches you need. If you are trying to build a complete offline database we have other ways and means which are far less data intensive.

As you see, you can run large queries, but do you need to? Can you get to 10,000 TPS next week? Just be aware that our open policy allows access to the data, but that the other folks on the site also have download needs and our bandwidth is not infinite.

Team737

Post by Team737 » 10 September 20 7:27 pm

Thanks, that's the info I was after. I won't do any more continental queries! :-"

Team737

Post by Team737 » 07 May 22 9:08 am

caughtatwork wrote:
07 September 20 12:02 pm
....We want people to make a choice and not download everything as that would blow our bandwidth limit.

Be respectful of the system, other users and our bandwidth and try to select only those caches you need. If you are trying to build a complete offline database we have other ways and means which are far less data intensive.
Necropost!
What are these ways/means? I can't say I'm trying to build a complete database, but we go on a bunch of trips and so like to have wide areas covered, and would like to go as easy on the bandwidth as possible.....

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 09 May 22 9:48 am

If you're going on a trip, then a route is the best way to trace your route then find the caches along it.

We no longer run a downloadable stats pack. Nowadays we have over 40,000 caches and 700,000 logs for GCA caches. We can't afford that bandwidth and more.