My GCA emails are going to junk mail

Discussion about the Geocaching Australia web site
DDTs
1900 or more caches found

My GCA emails are going to junk mail

Post by DDTs » 13 April 20 8:51 am

Earlier this year, all my daily updates and other emails from GCA (eg new cache notifications) started going to junk mail - although for years they have reliably arrived in my Inbox. I have a hotmail account. I have gone into hotmail settings and listed the domain geocaching.com.au as a safe sender, but to no avail. I have also tried listing individual GCA email addresses as safe senders, but the issue persists. Just wondering if anyone has any suggestions I could try?? Thanks.
Last edited by DDTs on 13 April 20 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Morris
8500 or more caches found
8500 or more caches found

Re: My GCA emails are going to junk mail

Post by The Morris » 13 April 20 8:14 pm

Same here - have even created a rule for them to be sent to my inbox with no success. Would love a solution other than checking my junk regularly.

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 14 April 20 9:05 am

Contact your ISP and tell them that geocaching.com.au should be added to their whitelist.

Chwiliwr
10000 or more caches found

Post by Chwiliwr » 14 April 20 12:57 pm

My original ISP, telstra, was advised of the need to whitelist GCA but kept loosing this setting so I changed GCA to point to a gmail email address and then had gmail redirect the GCA mail to my original telstra email address.

I've had no issues since.

DDTs

Post by DDTs » 05 May 20 10:36 am

Telstra is also our ISP. Thanks for the work around info, but I think it is beyond our skill set! And, I should have replied sooner, sorry, but I do appreciate the responses.

Richary
8000 or more caches found
8000 or more caches found

Post by Richary » 05 May 20 8:32 pm

It's not too hard, if you create a gmail account (I have a throwaway one for things I need to confirm that might spam me) you can set it up to forward emails to another address.

Click on the settings wheel on the top right, and then there is an option for Forwarding, which you can put the email you want to forward to in it.

CraigRat
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!
Twitter: CraigRat
Facebook: http://facebook.com/CraigRat

Post by CraigRat » 05 May 20 8:41 pm

We've spent quite a bit of time over the years trying to keep off blocklists.

We've had to arrange our hosts to set up PTR settings for reverse DNS, we've submitted to anti-spam reputation sites, we've changed header and mail server settings galore. But a lot of the ISP's don't tell you anywhere WHAT they are looking for (with good reason).
A lot of it comes down to people hitting the spam button instead of unsubscribing to any mailing lists they are on... if someone like Bigpond gets heap of ppl marking our mail as spam instead of either deleting or changing their mail setting here then everyone gets it flagged as spam unfortunately.

It's hard for us to do much from our end, sadly.

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 06 May 20 10:48 am

I get all of my email from GCA and I use BigPond.

oldfella

Post by oldfella » 07 May 20 8:17 am

Same as C@W and I have never had an issue

Tuena
6500 or more caches found

Post by Tuena » 09 May 20 8:22 pm

Mine have been going to spam since before this problem was raised here & I'm with Bigpond.

I didn't get one today but can't recall whether this was the way as have to permanently delete anything in spam.

DDTs

Post by DDTs » 24 May 20 10:29 am

And, then, somehow by magic, at 7am yesterday all my GCA emails decided to start arriving in my inbox again! The only vaguely related thing that happened beforehand was that my iPad made me re-enter my email password. However, I had still been receiving emails in my inbox - just not from GCA - and the issue also occurred on my PC. I am happy, but not sure that this will help anyone else, sorry.

Tuena

Post by Tuena » 24 May 20 12:29 pm

DDTs wrote:
24 May 20 10:29 am
And, then, somehow by magic, at 7am yesterday all my GCA emails decided to start arriving in my inbox again! The only vaguely related thing that happened beforehand was that my iPad made me re-enter my email password. However, I had still been receiving emails in my inbox - just not from GCA - and the issue also occurred on my PC. I am happy, but not sure that this will help anyone else, sorry.
Same thing here, back to normal. I didn't have to change anything. Other emails that had been going into spam now being received in my inbox.