New cache type idea

Discussion about the Geocaching Australia web site
ikkibrady

New cache type idea

Post by ikkibrady » 16 August 19 11:45 am

So I had an idea for a new cache type.
I guess it's sort of a twist on a virtual cache type but with a bit more.

I call it the community cache
Or community benefits cache.
Or activist cache
Not actually settled on a name yet

But the idea it's a cache where the community Or environment or researchers etc benefit from the person completing the cache.

Some examples to give an idea how broad this can be.
A cache published at a little street library and to log you have to put in a book.
Something as small as a fluka pole (poles usually around waterways where you have to place a camera on the pole and take a photo and send it to the email on the pole so they can track visual history of erosion and area)
Could be at a blood donor centre. Give blood to make the smiley

I have specifically not mentioned money donation boxes and the likes as it shouldn't be a money making based cache (but could be if that's all that can be done)

But should be something small that can be done basically there and then that helps... someone.

Turning our site into a force for good.

That's my idea

Discuss

petan
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!
Location: One foot on either side of the border (SE Qld/NE NSW)

Re: New cache type idea

Post by petan » 17 August 19 1:31 pm

Ok discussing, how would this be different to making it a locationless challenge? Using the street library as an example, could I put a book in any street library or would it be a specific street library?

How would you make it 'justifyable''? I mean for most cache types you need to sign a logbook, or in the case of something like the history cache, answer a series of questions which is 'marked' on the cache page - thereby generating a code.

Sorry if I sound negative, I like the idea of doing something for good but just trying to figure out how it would be different to what we already have?

Susan

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 21 August 19 10:14 am

Would these be "once only" log type geocaches? i.e. You stick a book in a library, you're done, move on, never do this again? Are you building the library or co-opting someone else's?

In line with the question from petan, how do you envisage "proof"? A code word inside, attached, serial number of the device, that you need to make your log?

These do seem rather locationless (blood donation surely could not be tied to a single blood donation location) or virtual (specific little library or fluka if there is no proof required).

You could consider extending the concept to planting a tree and marking the location so people could visit and take a picture of the tree as it matures (although council may not appreciate random tree plantings).

We do have the ACT government check our ACT TrigPoint photos to see if the TP is in need of maintenance, so this concept of being altruistic is already in play, albeit incidental rather than planned.

I'm on board with the idea, but we need to work the logistics of the evidence of being there, whether they are location based or locationless and what would make then different to a locationless or virtual?

ikkibrady

Post by ikkibrady » 21 August 19 2:57 pm

The idea was that they would be specific location caches not locatonless. A sort of offset of a virtual cache in the same way a gadget cache is an offset of a traditional cache.

So they would be log once only caches (although there's nothing stopping a person logging multiple times in the same way you can log moveable and locatonless multiple times)

Evidence of the find would vary cache to cache depending on the location. But generally photo evidence is required. Ie photo of the book you put in. The photo you take off the fluka pole.

Sure some people could/would cheat ie hold a book and say that's the book you put in. But that's no different to not finding a cache and saying you forgot your own. If people want to cheat they will find a way.

The idea could be expanded in any way that a cache hider wishes. My examples were just a couple off the top of my head. Tree planting could work if the hides was part of an organisation that could supply and get approval for trees easily...
Maybe there's a local place that need volunteers at a location. Maybe a men's shed is always looking for wood and you drop a pile to them. Maybe the cache vould just be the location of a charity bin and you stick a bag of clothes in it.

But the cache should be ties to a specific location and not locatonless.

Using the street libraries again as an example you could have 3 in your town and list all 3 as different caches.

Are they too different from a virtual. Possibly not but is a gadget too different from a trad. Is a night to different from a multi.

I think it's different enough
But that's me.

Again it's an idea.
Largly I'm trying to embrace the community side of gca now thats its communitty run. Knowing that things wont progress by themselves i just wanted to put a (hopefully) new idea out there

petan
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!
Location: One foot on either side of the border (SE Qld/NE NSW)

Post by petan » 21 August 19 6:42 pm

I think I get where you are heading with this. I suppose the logging requirements could be a photo of the action eg the book and the street library, the freshly planted tree, you with the bag of rubbish.

Could the publishing/finding guidelines be somewhat similar moveables.... ie you can move your own cache - but there must be a find in between... you can log your own community action cache, as long as someone has logged it before you?

I'm thinking its probably not a good idea just to publish this but actually do it ourselves, and encourage others to come on board. For example: in my own area there are four little libraries within striking distance; three beach-care, and two bush-care groups; plus numerous other groups. I could just publish 9 of these caches and sit back waiting for someone else to do the work but surely you'd want the owner to take an active part from time to time.... otherwise we could end up with thousands and a very cluttered map.

My 2cents.

ikkibrady

Post by ikkibrady » 22 August 19 9:58 am

I think you should be able to find your own caches after finds by others yes.

Maybe they can be like challenge caches on gc in that you have to have done it yourself before you can publish it.

In saying that that feels like it's adding rules and they don't necessarily belong here nor is there anyone to police them. It would be an honesty thing. But hooefully being the cache type that it is it's more likely to attract the hosest people anyway.

Thanks for contributing to the discussion :-D

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 22 August 19 11:13 am

No such rules would be implemented. We don't do that sort of thing.