Problem using the GCA Map to identify GC caches

Discussion about the Geocaching Australia web site
Tuena
6500 or more caches found

Problem using the GCA Map to identify GC caches

Post by Tuena » 18 May 19 11:11 am

For sometime now I've had a problem using the GCA map to identify GC caches. Caches are the usual blue or red icons with the selected GCA cache the yellow/black star but then one or more GC caches will transform into blank yellow/black stars. The longer the map is open the more GC caches will transform into the blank yellow/black stars.

It makes no difference if I select the Map or the New Window map. I then need to do a new search but the same situation generally reoccurs.

As an example I searched Cootamundra, selected the CORS, the new window map, zoomed slightly out, two GC caches transformed. Closed, searched again, same problem but different caches. Closed, searched again, problem didn't reoccur. Searched Cowra, problem occurred.

I use the maps in conjunction with a GSAK list but this problem makes it more difficult.

I use a laptop with Windows 7, Chrome as my browser & WiFi.

Laighside Legends
10000 or more caches found

Re: Problem using the GCA Map to identify GC caches

Post by Laighside Legends » 18 May 19 9:16 pm

I've noticed this issue to. It seems rather difficult to reproduce consistently. Use the map (and move it around) for long enough and the false yellow stars seem to appear somewhere eventually.

2y'stassies

Post by 2y'stassies » 18 May 19 11:17 pm

We've noticed this to. There doesn't appear to be any consistency with the star, where it appears and how many appear.

budgietas

Post by budgietas » 19 May 19 8:17 am

I have noticed this to. I use the gca maps a lot as they are a one stop shop for all caches in an area. Also very useful for when hiding cache series’s.
I don’t know if it is a major issue, maybe label it a “feature” and all is good =D> =D>

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 19 May 19 1:55 pm

I've been trying to troubleshoot this for a couple of weeks.

As far as I can tell, it's a bug in the Google Maps code or when more locations are loaded for display a memory issue arises. Either way I can't find anything wrong without code. When you click on it it has no information in the pop up bubble and we don't create blanks like that.

I can only try and remove the "selected" highlighter and see what happens, but I suspect that will only transfer the problem to a different marker.

Tuena

Post by Tuena » 19 May 19 7:03 pm

Good to know I'm not unique! Thanks C@W for investigating the issue. Whatever you decide is fine with me. I looked for GCA caches today with only one GC on the list.