geoscores - thoughts

Discussion about the Geocaching Australia web site
Rabbitto
4000 or more? I'm officially obsessed.
4000 or more? I'm officially obsessed.

Post by Rabbitto » 31 December 04 10:15 pm

Possibly an algorithm where Score = No of Caches x Difficulty Rating x Terrain Rating x No Waypoints for Cache / km walked to claim cache x km from home co-ordinates / average distance of all cache finds from home co-ordinates for all finders throughout Australia x litres petrol consumed to complete cache / caches completed that day / average petrol price of petrol in that state for previous week x quality rating of swap taken from cache / quality rating of swap left in cache x amusement rating of cache log (rated 1-10) / average amusement rating of all other cache logs for each cache x personal threat rating of country of cache x distance rating of country from Australia / No of caches logged whilst in that country x Personal injury Rating (1-5) attained by cacher whilst visiting cache x 42.

This could produce a fair comparison.

Biggles Bear
2200 or more geocaches found
2200 or more geocaches found

Post by Biggles Bear » 01 January 05 1:43 am

We now have a YTD score, how about a rap up for the year '04?

Keep up the good work in '05

maccamob
10000 or more caches found
10000 or more caches found

Post by maccamob » 01 January 05 11:12 am

ideology wrote:this gave us an idea for a quick bit of coding. let's call it a geoscore!

yikes!

we're happy to continue refining this in the geocaching australia website forum if you wish
Another fascinating piece of info to add to the caching trivia collection. Karmickev once proposed a similar score that he called Geobrags (I think), which was "difficulty*terrain*distance from home". The last factor might be a bit harder to apply on the Primary Site...

Cached
2500 or more caches found
2500 or more caches found

Post by Cached » 01 January 05 6:38 pm

I do like the Wheres George way of scoring - it credits activity as well as overall score.
26 What is the George Score and how do I get it?
The George Score is automatically calculated when you enter bills and get hits. The more bills you enter, and more importantly, the more hits you get, the higher your George Score. They aren't worth anything, and you won't get any prizes. It is solely for the enjoyment by some users that like to compare themselves with each other. The formula used to calculate your George Score can be found on the 'Your Bills', 'Profiles by State' and 'Top 10 Users' report. The Score also goes down for inactivity on the site 1% per day after your 5th day of inactivity). To reset your score to its full value, simply run 'Your Bills' each time you visit the site. In addition, you need a minimum number of bills entered, bills with hits, and total hits before your are scored. Until then, you will be 'scoreless'. The only exception to this is on the User Profile Rankings by State report, where your 'Pre-certified' George Score is displayed, regardless of the number of bills or hits you have.
Further Detail:
The George Score is calculated as follows:
100* ( SQRT(LN(Bills Entered)) + LN(Hits + 1) ) * [1 - (Days of Inactivity / 100)]
Where:
LN = natural log
SQRT = square root
"Bills Entered" is the total number of bills you have entered.
"Hits" is total number of hits you have received.
"Days of Inactivity" is the number of days since you last ran the 'Your Bills' report.
For the uninitiated, http://www.wheresgeorge.com

Team Stargazer
150 or more caches found
150 or more caches found

Post by Team Stargazer » 01 January 05 8:50 pm

Cached wrote:I do like the Wheres George way of scoring - it credits activity as well as overall score.

Bah!!! :P
-------------
Where's George? will be down to repeat daily scheduled database maintenance.

We apologize for the inconvenience this may cause.

Please return after 5:00AM Eastern Time (2:00AM Pacific).
(On Sundays, it takes a little longer. The site will be back up soon!).

Questions? Please see the FAQ Page or
Email the Where's George? staff at info@wheresgeorge.com.
-------------
Typical, just when I go to look ... :roll:

Mind Socket

Post by Mind Socket » 04 January 05 9:36 am

Team Stargazer wrote:
Cached wrote:I do like the Wheres George way of scoring - it credits activity as well as overall score.

Bah!!! :P
-------------
Where's George? will be down to repeat daily scheduled database maintenance.
Heheh, sounds to me like a George score takes too much thinking for their poor server. The name is quite apt though. :)

- R