EcoCaches

Discussion about the Geocaching Australia web site
caughtatwork

EcoCaches

Post by caughtatwork » 20 November 18 1:11 pm

I am after some information from the learned folks about the environmental risk of a proposed new cache type.

An ecocache is a cache that consists of a small cardboard or paper box (something that is compostable without releasing too many greenhouse gasses like methane). On the lid it has a codeword (no log book) to prove you were at the cache site (or you have a friend that will give you the codeword I suppose). Inside the box is a ball of dirt (compost, clay, etc, think seed bomb) and either inside or attached to the ball are seeds. The cache exists only as long as the cache s not yet composted. As the cache composts the seeds are set, germinate and flower. At that point the cache is archived but there is something left behind.

What is the environmental risk (something other than opinion would be appreciated) of having natives or wildflowers sprouting where the ecocaches are left behind?
What is the environment impact of having a small box decompose and the associated greenhouse gasses let go?
What is a reasonable time to "auto archive" the cache by when the box will have decomposed and the flowers sprouted?

Open for all and any discussion. Thanks.

Zalgariath
5500 or more caches found
5500 or more caches found

Re: EcoCaches

Post by Zalgariath » 20 November 18 2:22 pm

In theory I like the idea. The biggest risk I see is unintentional introduced weeds, either from contaminated soil carrying common garden weeds into the bush, or accidental release of a noxious plant due to simply not knowing better. Can you imagine a well intentioned release of ornamental bamboo... sounds like a cute idea, but a massive issue in the wild. I think the idea could work, but I'd restrict it to native species and specify the recommended use of clean soil mixes.

rogerw3
8000 or more caches found
8000 or more caches found

Post by rogerw3 » 21 November 18 6:55 pm

I do like the idea in theory, but as Zal pointed out the risk of introducing weeds or noxious pest in the environment is a grave risk.
I would hate us as Geocachers to be responsible for introducing such in for instance the Blue Mountains where there are already many unwelcome plants.

ikkibrady

Post by ikkibrady » 23 November 18 8:19 pm

Could it be done in conjunction with local landcare groups?

ziggiau
3000 or more caches found
3000 or more caches found
Twitter: ziggiau

Post by ziggiau » 01 December 18 10:19 am

Agreed with Zal and roger. Beyond the release of unintended species, some cachers may not be aware of ongoing bush regeneration/rehabilitation works and the over arching plans that may already be in place. Could you run with the original idea but have it in its own pot, keeping it self contained?