swaggies - beta testing [closed]

Discussion about the Geocaching Australia web site
ideology

Post by ideology » 30 December 04 8:56 am

thanks guys
we've updated crew 153's caching name and corrected the &rarr bug in internet explorer

things to do:
- make the log listing columns wider
- make the caching name error messages a big more user-friendly
- add them to the search so people can type the name of the swaggie to find it on the site
- ability to edit logs
- maps, distances, etc
- a list of swaggies that the cacher has logged, and a list that have ever been in a cache (that would be interesting!)

cached, putting a keytag on a swaggie is a great way to distinguish swaggies from the other items in the cache. we hesitate to be like the secondary site and have all sorts of rules, but we figure that it will be in people's interest to make a swaggie look like something out-of-the-ordinary, otherwise it will sit at the bottom of the cache gathering geo-dust. other people's thoughts?

Dooghan

Post by Dooghan » 30 December 04 8:56 am

It works well but one minute the cachers name is in the right colunm then in the left which I found hard to read. I couple times I throught the cachers name was a cache. Maybe put the cacher on the left and the cache on the right and just change the direction of the arrow.

Dooghan

Papa Bear_Left
800 or more hollow logs searched
800 or more hollow logs searched

Post by Papa Bear_Left » 30 December 04 9:34 am

ideology wrote:cached, putting a keytag on a swaggie is a great way to distinguish swaggies from the other items in the cache. we hesitate to be like the secondary site and have all sorts of rules, but we figure that it will be in people's interest to make a swaggie look like something out-of-the-ordinary, otherwise it will sit at the bottom of the cache gathering geo-dust. other people's thoughts?
I'd be happy to let Darwinism take care of it. If anyone carefully disguises the fact that their object is a Swaggie, then it won't move much and so won't provide much fun. They won't make _that_ mistake again!

I guess a 'serving suggestion' that makes them recognisable is a good idea, and a keytag is as good a one as any.

Maybe a logo that could be put on whatever has the name and aims of the Swaggie, whatever form it's in. It would need to be something simple in case it needed to be made small or engraved...

Mind Socket

Post by Mind Socket » 30 December 04 10:30 am

Perhaps some people would like to make printable templates that one could optionally use. Obviously, each swaggie will have the minimum requirement of indicating what it is, how it works and where to go to log it. Beyond that, a logo might help with identification.

- R

The Ginger Loon
450 or more roots tripped over
450 or more roots tripped over

Post by The Ginger Loon » 30 December 04 4:11 pm

It seems to work okay, but as Dooghan points out, the alternating Cacher/Cache Name format can be confusing. Maybe the formatting needs to be straightened out a bit.
Otherwise it works okay.

Cached
2500 or more caches found
2500 or more caches found

Post by Cached » 01 January 05 7:00 pm

Hey, seen this site?

I like it.

http://www.travelertags.com