Challenge Cache

Discussion about the Geocaching Australia web site
caughtatwork

Challenge Cache

Post by caughtatwork » 01 August 23 9:24 am

As part of Geocaching Australia's desire to provide growing geocaching opportunities to the geocachers of Australia, Geocaching Australia has created a Challenge Cache type and we're looking for members to submit their challenge ideas to go into a competition to be awarded a Challenge Cache listing.

A Challenge Cache requires other geocachers to achieve a goal or challenge set by the geocache owner and then when qualified, to find the physical geocache hidden by the cache owner. Challenge Caches encourage geocachers to set and achieve fun goals that can reasonably be achieved by geocachers in your area and the Challenge Cache is an attraction to the area. Challenge Cache challenges should be restricted to information that can be obtained from existing or new statistics on the Geocaching Australia website.

You have 4,000 characters to tell us about a challenge that you would like to enter.

Each geocacher may only submit one entry, so think carefully before sending through your entry.

Rules
Entries close 31st August 2023 23:59:59 with the winners announced on or around 30th September 2023
The final decision will be made by the Challenge Cache Administrators
Entries will be accepted via the form on this page only
Each entry must be of 4,000 characters or fewer
One submission per geocacher name - the name used to submit the entry will be the one who will own the Challenge Cache listing
No editing is permitted after your entry has been submitted
Geocaching Australia reserves the right to choose no entry in the event that no entry is considered technically viable or desirable
The Question
Tell us in 4,000 characters or fewer about your proposed new Challenge Cache.
Provide as much detail as necessary (within character limits) as to how your challenge would operate. Provide information about any restrictions, checking or validation which may be done, what limitations or restrictions may need to be placed on the challenge and anything else that needs to be known and understood about your new Challenge Cache.
We recommend you view the wiki entry for a Challenge Cache to see what they entail before making your submission.

http://wiki.geocaching.com.au/wiki/Challenge_cache
https://geocaching.com.au/competition/challengecache

icon_competitionchallenge.png
icon_competitionchallenge.png (54.7 KiB) Viewed 14380 times

wayn0

Re: Challenge Cache

Post by wayn0 » 01 August 23 9:43 am

This is a great idea! I see there’s a challenge cache out near me already. I don’t qualify though but have a road trip coming up that may help. I’ll submit details for an idea I have soon :)

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 01 August 23 10:40 am

Dang!
caughtatwork has not yet met the challenge for Alphabet Challenge

I need a Z. I wonder who I can bribe for a "Z" cache to be hidden out near me :-)

wayn0

Post by wayn0 » 01 August 23 11:13 am

I need X and Z.. I recently DNFed a GCA cache beginning with X :lol: ](*,)
I need to return for a more thorough look..

2y'stassies
10000 or more caches found
10000 or more caches found

Post by 2y'stassies » 01 August 23 11:48 am

We qualify for both challenge caches so finding them will be our next challenge. We have always enjoyed the challenge caches on that other site so it will be nice to have some Geocaching Australia challenge caches. We will have to think about a possible contribution.

Now_To_Morrow
3500 or more caches found

Post by Now_To_Morrow » 02 August 23 1:57 pm

I like how there's a checker on these. I need X still for the alphabet. And I thought I had more multi finds than I really have made. Haha.

Now_To_Morrow

Post by Now_To_Morrow » 02 August 23 2:45 pm

Judging by the 3 examples given, we don't have to make the challenge's eligible finds within something like 100km radius of the hide? No distance limit?

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 02 August 23 4:50 pm

Not if you don't want. Your submission will tell the story and the admins will choose those which we can do :mrgreen:

I suppose you want a geocache found if you're going to hide one. So having a challenge that requires someone to find the oldest 10 caches in every state might be more than challenge. But if you set the difficulty correctly, then, well, it's up to the finder to see if they want to meet that challenge.

Now_To_Morrow

Post by Now_To_Morrow » 03 August 23 7:37 am

Do we only get this one chance to publish a challenge cache? If yes, can I submit a challenge but hold off publishing it till a later date so I can place it later in the year when I know I will be in a location suitable for the challenge I am thinking of?

Next question, what happens if we submit the same idea or a similar idea to someone else? Do we get a second chance?

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 03 August 23 9:04 am

It would be your cache, you would do with it what you want.

The same idea doesn't preclude you from being selected, especially if they are far apart. e.g. A Tasmanian and Queensland cacher that submit the same idea could both be rewarded. But someone two towns over may not.

We're looking to run a rewards program for challenge caches now and then, so there will be more chances in the future. We want people caching, we're not going to hold them to minimal numbers and pretend they're a rarity to be offered only to the elite. We don't do that. We do need to give time to the developers to create the challenge checkers which may be the initial bottleneck, hence the call for proposals.

wayn0

Post by wayn0 » 08 August 23 1:46 am

I currently get a blank screen with this page.
Microsoft Edge, latest version

EDIT: Got it, link from front page works..

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 18 August 23 10:43 am

beforeafter.jpg
beforeafter.jpg (53.91 KiB) Viewed 14139 times

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 07 September 23 9:43 am

Congratulations to the following geocachers who were successful in the submission for a new challenge cache.

2y'stassies
Budgietas
C○3 Ɛ○<<○3 (Now_To_Morrow)
DEZ055
firnsy
geono.
themd
wayn0
whitewebbs

You have all been sent a PM through the forum with information about the next steps to receiving your challenge cache listing. If you have not yet received your PM, please let us know here and we'll resend it.

Thanks to everyone who made a submission. We intend of accepting more submissions in the future, so if you enjoy hiding or finding Challenge Caches, try out the ones that will be coming soon and see if you would like to submit to be rewarded with one in the next round.

Thanks to Sol de lune and MattyRx for their assistance in getting these caches off the ground.

Now_To_Morrow

Post by Now_To_Morrow » 07 September 23 9:57 pm

Thanks admins for this. I look forward to hiding mine and hopefully finding a few. Can't wait to see what challenges will come from these. :)

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 14 September 23 9:56 am

To everyone who was successful in their Challenge Cache entry, your cache listing and challenge checker have been created and transferred to you. You should have received a PM this morning explaining where to find your listing and what you next need to do to get your cache listing live.

If you have any queries, please don't hesitate to ask in this thread.

I hope you and everyone in the community enjoys the new challenge caches. They have been fun for the dev team to develop and we hope to reward more in the future.