Report Site Issues Here

Discussion about the Geocaching Australia web site
MavEtJu
Twitter: @mavetju

Re: Report Site Issues Here

Post by MavEtJu » 25 July 18 11:09 am

On the front page, when searching for the "coalcliff" locality I get all the results centered around my home location.

Same for searching for "Stanwell Park", but not for "Helensburgh" which shows the ones around Helensburgh.

Edwin

MavEtJu

Post by MavEtJu » 25 July 18 11:10 am

And the GCA logo at the top of this page is missing.

https://geocaching.com.au/pics/logo_gca_84.png

Edwin

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 25 July 18 12:09 pm

MavEtJu wrote:On the front page, when searching for the "coalcliff" locality I get all the results centered around my home location.

Same for searching for "Stanwell Park", but not for "Helensburgh" which shows the ones around Helensburgh.

Edwin
When I search for coalcliff and GCA only there are non in that locale. It then looks outside the locality for those which are "near" (being +/- 0.25 degrees). The closest one that it's decided to pick for me is as follows, but that is sorted from my HOME not the location.

Geocaches near "coalcliff"
Status Rating Hidden Found Logs Type Size Name Location State Country Distance Dir Elevation Diff Terr
26th December 2011 157 wks Wongawilli Wongawilli New South Wales Australia 651.70 km NE 44m

As far as I can tell it is working as expected, but not necessarily as you want.

What do you think should be returned?

MavEtJu

Post by MavEtJu » 25 July 18 12:54 pm

This is the first time I've heard from Wongawilli :-)

When searching for "Clifton", the suburb next to Coalcliff I got the caches I was looking for, mostly because they are in Clifton but until now I didn't know that, I would have called that area Coalclif. What I expected were the caches sorted by the distances closest to the original locality, whatever pinpoint you use inside it: I expected it would have given the ones in Stanwell Park and the ones in Coalcliff, not the ones closest to me.

Totally different issue: Try searching for "Clifton", it will return a 'Geocaches in "clifton"' section with two in Clifton NSW, one in Clifton Grove NSW, one in Clifton Hill VIC and three in Clifton Beach TAS. All fair answers, but one point: I cannot put the state in the search input, that will return nothing else. So I cannot force to show the ones from Clifton alone, but not sure if that is something I want to worry about now.

It will also return a 'Geocaches near "clifton"', where I do expect the ones are Clifton NSW, Clifton Grove NSW, Clifton Hill VIC etc, but I get only the ones around Clifton NZ...

This is a non-issue, just a funny one.

To resume:

For "Geocaches near ...", sort on distance around coordinates from original locality.

For "Geocaches in ...", allow states in the locality to search for.

Thank you!
Edwin

mtrax

Post by mtrax » 06 August 18 9:48 am

is there an issue with SSL certificate?
I'm seeing someone getting error using API

MavEtJu

Post by MavEtJu » 06 August 18 12:02 pm

From a different discussion, this is most likely related to a wrong time on the device checking the SSL certificate.

Edwin

petan
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!
Location: One foot on either side of the border (SE Qld/NE NSW)

Post by petan » 15 August 18 7:24 pm

Editing my moveable cache page and for some reason its changed itself to being a trig with the size of other and I can't seem to change it.

I've logged out and back in, I also changed browsers but its stuck on Trig. Can it be fixed or should I just abandon that number and start anew? The GA code is ga12646

Thanks.

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 15 August 18 7:45 pm

I've changed the type to Moveable and the size to Small. You can now edit it and fix those details if you like.

petan
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!
Location: One foot on either side of the border (SE Qld/NE NSW)

Post by petan » 15 August 18 8:52 pm

Thank you kind webfaerie. =D>

Chwiliwr
10000 or more caches found

Post by Chwiliwr » 31 August 18 6:48 pm

I think that there is a problem with editing draft cache process as the field for the cache name continually defaults to be the cacher name when bringing up the cache edit page.

If not noticed then your cacher name becomes the cache name on saving the edits and your original cache name seems to be lost.

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 31 August 18 8:06 pm

I am not seeing that behaviour.

I can edit a DRAFT cache and the name is correct as is the placed_by. The I can save it and the data is as I entered it. When I bring the cache page back up to edit again it is still correct and after it is saved it remains correct.

Please share the cache you are editing so I can check to see if this is a specific issue with a particular listing.

Chwiliwr

Post by Chwiliwr » 31 August 18 8:31 pm

The two of mine that are doing it are GA5595 and GA5591 both still in draft. (old drafts)

The other one belonged to Gwawr on a private browser session on this same PC and it only did it on the second edit of the draft. (GA12797 which was created last week.)

So you can see what I am seeing I have saved a screenshot of GA5595 edit screen. (chwiliwr.com\xxxGCA\Draft_GA5595.png)
Shows the original name at the top but 'Chwiliwr' in the Geocache Name field.

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 31 August 18 8:52 pm

Ahh. The old ' in the name is appearing to be a string delimiter. That's now been fixed. Thanks.

ikkibrady

Post by ikkibrady » 31 August 18 10:27 pm

2 things I've noticed since the updates.
When zooming in on the map with my phone I suddenly jump states. Example I have the map of vic up, I try to zoom in on my local as rea and suddenly I'm looking at a a map of qld or tasmania. (I should not that was this morning and haven't been able to replicate it this evening)

Second thing I noticed on PC, when typing out a new cache when filling out the description everytime I pressed enter to start a new line it would instead take the cursor to the top of the page. Minor and manageable things I know.

2y'stassies

Post by 2y'stassies » 01 September 18 11:01 am

We've moved 3 Spring carnival Racers this morning, GA12807, GA12808 and GA12809 and they don't appear on the ladder yet.