GeosportZ 2016

Discussion about the Geocaching Australia web site
Now_To_Morrow
3500 or more caches found

Re: GeosportZ 2016

Post by Now_To_Morrow » 01 August 16 5:24 pm

ziggiau wrote:And to make things easier for some (portability, offline use, visually challenged on a mobile device), I've created a handy dandy printer-friendly version of the challenges with an extra column so you can keep track of your points.

http://bit.ly/geosportZ2016-challenges
Oh how I wish I had this before 7am. Spent all morning sitting around the waiting room of day surgery going through everything on my phone making pen and paper lists and confusing myself with it all. Haha

Now_To_Morrow

Post by Now_To_Morrow » 01 August 16 5:30 pm

caughtatwork wrote:The app is interpreting the actual container size and medium is not known to the site or the GPX files. What app is doing that?

The GC site lists Micro, Small, Regular, Large, Other for physical container cache types. You should refer back to the site for the actual size used.
http://support.groundspeak.com/index.ph ... page&id=75
Thank you. I was referencing between both the classic Groundspeak app just giving me boxes and the newer version Groundspeak app giving me a dial declaring trends like "medium". I didn't think to check a third Groundspeak version (website) as I assumed the terms for sizes would be the same on both app and website. Sorry and thanks.

tronador
6500 or more caches found

Post by tronador » 01 August 16 5:33 pm

No_Tomorrow wrote:
caughtatwork wrote:The app is interpreting the actual container size and medium is not known to the site or the GPX files. What app is doing that?

The GC site lists Micro, Small, Regular, Large, Other for physical container cache types. You should refer back to the site for the actual size used.
http://support.groundspeak.com/index.ph ... page&id=75
Thank you. I was referencing between both the classic Groundspeak app just giving me boxes and the newer version Groundspeak app giving me a dial declaring trends like "medium". I didn't think to check a third Groundspeak version (website) as I assumed the terms for sizes would be the same on both app and website. Sorry and thanks.
GSAK will be your best friend

Laighside Legends
10000 or more caches found

Post by Laighside Legends » 01 August 16 6:04 pm

This is going to be interesting. Last time several people finished all the challenges and got to the required number of points (and the final placings came down to when people finished). This time no one will finish all the challenges since the minimum total number of points is somewhere in the order of 1500. The trick to finishing high up the ladder is going to be not doing the Marathon or the Decathlon!

Zalgariath
5500 or more caches found
5500 or more caches found

Post by Zalgariath » 01 August 16 6:17 pm

Yes I noticed that too. If you are an active cacher wanting to fill lots of slots... you actually need to AVOID the high point event. However, if you don't have the time / numbers around you, then those biggies are going to be very handy.

Also, while I'm all chuffed to see new GCA caches being promoted, please lets keep the quality up and not just hide micros in the bush for the sake of 50 points. Make 'em good to last for years to come and contribute to the GCA scene :D

tronador

Post by tronador » 01 August 16 6:44 pm

Laighside Legends wrote:This is going to be interesting. Last time several people finished all the challenges and got to the required number of points (and the final placings came down to when people finished). This time no one will finish all the challenges since the minimum total number of points is somewhere in the order of 1500. The trick to finishing high up the ladder is going to be not doing the Marathon or the Decathlon!
You need 1000 points and the aim is not to exceed this. If you were to do all the challenges and receive maximum points for those challenges not already allocated points, you would end up with 2200 points.
Why couldn't you do the marathon or the decathlon, if you wanted to gain a lot of points quickly?
Last edited by tronador on 01 August 16 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tronador

Post by tronador » 01 August 16 6:49 pm

Can someone please explain this.
"This could mean that some days position 90 is the highest winning position and other days where position 50 is the highest winning position."

My understanding is not to exceed 1000 points. The ladder is based on points first then claims. eg. If two people have 90 points and 1 has 6 claims and the other 5 then the person with 6 claims is higher on the ladder. Correct???

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 01 August 16 7:53 pm

Laighside Legends wrote:This is going to be interesting. Last time several people finished all the challenges and got to the required number of points (and the final placings came down to when people finished). This time no one will finish all the challenges since the minimum total number of points is somewhere in the order of 1500. The trick to finishing high up the ladder is going to be not doing the Marathon or the Decathlon!
Positions 1, 2 and 3 are not the only prize positions. Going for those is a different strategy to going for other positions. So you may VERY WELL want to do the Marathon or Decathlon depending on your strategy. Not everyone is going to play the same game the same way, so be wary of making assumptions about who should claim what. I, for example, will not get 1,000 points (lifestyle and capability) so I'm targeting a lower score which may indeed mean I look for lower points to maximise my chance in a lower prize position.

Laighside Legends

Post by Laighside Legends » 01 August 16 7:57 pm

tronador wrote:
You need 1000 points and the aim is not to exceed this. If you were to do all the challenges and receive maximum points for those challenges not already allocated points, you would end up with 2200 points.
Why couldn't you do the marathon or the decathlon, if you wanted to gain a lot of points quickly?
Yes, the maximum would be about 2200. Work out what the minimum for all the challenges is - you'll find it's about 1500. Hence you can't do all the challenges without exceeding 1000.

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 01 August 16 8:02 pm

tronador wrote:Can someone please explain this.
"This could mean that some days position 90 is the highest winning position and other days where position 50 is the highest winning position."

My understanding is not to exceed 1000 points. The ladder is based on points first then claims. eg. If two people have 90 points and 1 has 6 claims and the other 5 then the person with 6 claims is higher on the ladder. Correct???
Your example is correct in terms of position of the ladder.
Prizes are to be read in context. It's about the position on the ladder, not just your points. There are a number of prize positions. 1, 2, 3, 10, 20, 30, 40, etc.
Let's say I have 20 prizes. With positions 1, 2, 3 filled I now have 17.
If there are 17 people in position 10, then that's where the prizes end as I have run out.
If there are 10 people in position 10 and 5 in position 20 and 5 in position 30. The 10 people in position 10 get a prize which leaves me 7 prizes. The 5 people in position 20 get a prize which leaves me 2. As I cannot fulfill the final 5 people in position 30 they get nothing.
But next hour, the positions change.
Now there are 5 people in position 10 and 5 in position 20 and 7 in position 30. The 5 people in position 10 get a prize which leaves me 12 prizes. The 5 people in position 20 get a prize which leaves me 7. The 7 people in position 30 get a prize and i now have none left.
The goal is the higher the better, but even if you don't make the top 3, you're still in with a chance. Just how much of a chance only time and playing the game will tell.

It's all about where you finish and where

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 01 August 16 8:06 pm

Laighside Legends wrote:
tronador wrote:
Yes, the maximum would be about 2200. Work out what the minimum for all the challenges is - you'll find it's about 1500. Hence you can't do all the challenges without exceeding 1000.
The game admins have already copped flack (and the game has not even been running for a whole day yet) because (surprise) GCA is favored over GC. If you don't want to do ANYTHING at GCA you can still be in with a chance to win. If you want to play GCA as well, your chances are different because you get more to choose from. Again, don't assume everyone will play the game the same way or target the same challenge loads.

Get involved, have fun, be free, maybe win a token prize.

Laighside Legends

Post by Laighside Legends » 01 August 16 8:22 pm

I think it's great that GCA is favoured over GC. I think you've the balance about right to - there's enough GC for everyone to get involved but still an incentive to hide/find GCA for those that are really keen.

Don't take what I said earlier as advice on how the game should be played/run. I'm just pondering tactics and noticed some differences from last time.

Essentially, I'm making a prediction and saying that (unlike last time) the team/person that finishes in position 1 will be someone who doesn't do the Marathon or Decathlon. But that could turn out to be wrong...

And none of this has anything to do with prizes, just the top of the ladder.

Sol de Lune

Post by Sol de Lune » 01 August 16 8:59 pm

Sol de Lune wrote:
No_Tomorrow wrote:Awesome! Challenges are up! And they look good and even achievable for isolated people (thank you). I have a few questions though:

12 - Golf - FTF - does this mean the hidden before August rule does not apply to this one?

19 - Modern Pentathalon - do you have to do all waypoints within the game period, say if you have half the multi done before August but have not completed it yet?

26&41 - 1500m - this mentions both the cache being 1500m walk away, and 1500m walk in total. Is the walk in total acceptable, as in the cache being 750m away equaling a 1500m round trip?
Hi No_Tomorrow,

We haven't forgot your questions here.....we just need to clarify a couple of things and will address them later this afternoon. (Life just gets in the way sometimes.... :( )

Standby.....

A couple of changes to the wording and a bit of clarification for these couple of requirements.

No. 12
The requirement for a cache to be placed prior to the game has been removed for this one. The requirement will be re-worded as follows:

Be the First to Find (FTF) a GCA or GC physical geocache during the period of the Rio Games. i.e. 5th August 2016 through 21st August 2016 (inclusive). In your claim, list the GA or GC number of the geocache found. Grab yourself another 50 points when you hole this one. This challenge is exempt from the rule that geocaches for the game must be published before the start of the game.

No. 19
No change to this requirement. To make a claim for this requirement you must find the GZ for a 5 (or more) waypoint multi during the course of the game.

No's. 26 & 41
The original idea for this requirement was that you needed to walk 1500 metres from where you 'Parked your mode of transport' to find the cache. Re-reading the requirements we see it is a little ambiguous, so the requirements have been re-written as follows:

No. 26
Find and log any GCA or GC physical geocache that was hidden 1500m from where you left your mode of transport to claim this requirement. You must walk to the cache location from the place you left your mode of transport (car, truck, motor cycle, helicopter, bicycle, etc). The cache may be any type of geocache as long as the walk to the geocache is 1500m or more. The cache description should mention the length of the walk required, or you should provide some other proof, such as parking coordinates or track log.

No. 41
Publish a new physical cache on Geocaching Australia that is hidden at least 1500m from where the finder will leave their mode of transport. The finder must walk to the cache location. The cache may be any type of physical geocache as long as long as the walk to the geocache is 1500m or more. The cache description should mention the length of the walk required. Stride away with 50 points for this one.

Hopefully this answers your questions No_Tomorrow. Thanks for them and apologies for any confusion.

tronador

Post by tronador » 01 August 16 9:24 pm

caughtatwork wrote:
tronador wrote:Can someone please explain this.

Your example is correct in terms of position of the ladder.
Prizes are to be read in context. It's about the position on the ladder, not just your points. There are a number of prize positions. 1, 2, 3, 10, 20, 30, 40, etc.
Let's say I have 20 prizes. With positions 1, 2, 3 filled I now have 17.
If there are 17 people in position 10, then that's where the prizes end as I have run out.
If there are 10 people in position 10 and 5 in position 20 and 5 in position 30. The 10 people in position 10 get a prize which leaves me 7 prizes. The 5 people in position 20 get a prize which leaves me 2. As I cannot fulfill the final 5 people in position 30 they get nothing.
But next hour, the positions change.
Now there are 5 people in position 10 and 5 in position 20 and 7 in position 30. The 5 people in position 10 get a prize which leaves me 12 prizes. The 5 people in position 20 get a prize which leaves me 7. The 7 people in position 30 get a prize and i now have none left.
The goal is the higher the better, but even if you don't make the top 3, you're still in with a chance. Just how much of a chance only time and playing the game will tell.

It's all about where you finish and where
Thanks for that. Makes sense. And thanks again for your generous contribution to make this such a fun game.

Now_To_Morrow

Post by Now_To_Morrow » 01 August 16 9:54 pm

Sol de Lune wrote:
Sol de Lune wrote:
No_Tomorrow wrote:Awesome! Challenges are up! And they look good and even achievable for isolated people (thank you). I have a few questions though:

12 - Golf - FTF - does this mean the hidden before August rule does not apply to this one?

19 - Modern Pentathalon - do you have to do all waypoints within the game period, say if you have half the multi done before August but have not completed it yet?

26&41 - 1500m - this mentions both the cache being 1500m walk away, and 1500m walk in total. Is the walk in total acceptable, as in the cache being 750m away equaling a 1500m round trip?
Hi No_Tomorrow,

We haven't forgot your questions here.....we just need to clarify a couple of things and will address them later this afternoon. (Life just gets in the way sometimes.... :( )

Standby.....

A couple of changes to the wording and a bit of clarification for these couple of requirements.

No. 12
The requirement for a cache to be placed prior to the game has been removed for this one. The requirement will be re-worded as follows:

Be the First to Find (FTF) a GCA or GC physical geocache during the period of the Rio Games. i.e. 5th August 2016 through 21st August 2016 (inclusive). In your claim, list the GA or GC number of the geocache found. Grab yourself another 50 points when you hole this one. This challenge is exempt from the rule that geocaches for the game must be published before the start of the game.

No. 19
No change to this requirement. To make a claim for this requirement you must find the GZ for a 5 (or more) waypoint multi during the course of the game.

No's. 26 & 41
The original idea for this requirement was that you needed to walk 1500 metres from where you 'Parked your mode of transport' to find the cache. Re-reading the requirements we see it is a little ambiguous, so the requirements have been re-written as follows:

No. 26
Find and log any GCA or GC physical geocache that was hidden 1500m from where you left your mode of transport to claim this requirement. You must walk to the cache location from the place you left your mode of transport (car, truck, motor cycle, helicopter, bicycle, etc). The cache may be any type of geocache as long as the walk to the geocache is 1500m or more. The cache description should mention the length of the walk required, or you should provide some other proof, such as parking coordinates or track log.

No. 41
Publish a new physical cache on Geocaching Australia that is hidden at least 1500m from where the finder will leave their mode of transport. The finder must walk to the cache location. The cache may be any type of physical geocache as long as long as the walk to the geocache is 1500m or more. The cache description should mention the length of the walk required. Stride away with 50 points for this one.

Hopefully this answers your questions No_Tomorrow. Thanks for them and apologies for any confusion.
=D> Thank you. :D