GeosportZ 2016

Discussion about the Geocaching Australia web site
Sambuccasam
300 or more found
300 or more found

Re: GeosportZ 2016

Post by Sambuccasam » 01 September 16 9:27 am

crew 153 wrote:Congratulations for you efforts Sam. You have also added 9 new GCA caches to the area while you were at it. It was great to watch your progress. So Close at the end.
Thanks for your support Max =D>

tronador
6500 or more caches found

Post by tronador » 01 September 16 11:14 am

Congratulations on a well run competition. I'm so exhausted and feel like I've run a marathon myself. This is my 3rd "Olympics" and always so much fun. Congrats to my fellow New South Welshmen, Zalgariath and The Hancock Clan for some stiff competition.
The legacy from this Olympics are some great GCA hides in the Sydney area, which I will now be able to find and enjoy at my leisure.
GSAK was my best friend and combined with GE a huge time saver.
Now to recover for Tokyo 2020 or we could have the first ever "Winter" Geosportz, for PyeongChang 2018. :D \:D/ 8-[

Sol de Lune

Post by Sol de Lune » 01 September 16 11:53 am

tronador wrote:Congratulations on a well run competition. I'm so exhausted and feel like I've run a marathon myself. This is my 3rd "Olympics" and always so much fun. Congrats to my fellow New South Welshmen, Zalgariath and The Hancock Clan for some stiff competition.
The legacy from this Olympics are some great GCA hides in the Sydney area, which I will now be able to find and enjoy at my leisure.
Now to recover for Tokyo 2020 or we could have the first ever "Winter" Geosportz, for PyeongChang 2018. :D \:D/ 8-[
No thoughts on the Winter Olympics...but there's something on the Gold Coast in a couple of years that look interesting..... :-" :-"

Now_To_Morrow
3500 or more caches found
3500 or more caches found

Post by Now_To_Morrow » 01 September 16 2:59 pm

Sol de Lune wrote:
tronador wrote:Congratulations on a well run competition. I'm so exhausted and feel like I've run a marathon myself. This is my 3rd "Olympics" and always so much fun. Congrats to my fellow New South Welshmen, Zalgariath and The Hancock Clan for some stiff competition.
No thoughts on the Winter Olympics...but there's something on the Gold Coast in a couple of years that look interesting..... :-" :-"
YES PLEASE! Not likely I'll be entering any event there, so I'll be available to play here. :lol:

Thanks Sol de Lune and LouiseAnn and whoever else for organising and officiating this game. So good to have incentive to go out and hide a few planned hides and others. Sadly, I didn't get anywhere near as many geocaches done as I hoped - if only I could convert my hubby from cars to caches. [-o< or just to stop talking so long ](*,) haha
:griffin

2y'stassies
10000 or more caches found

Post by 2y'stassies » 01 September 16 3:05 pm

Congratulations to all the medal winners, an awesome effort. Thanks to Sol De Lune, LouiseAnn and Caughtatwork and all the other back room fairies who had a hand in organising the game. We had a lot of fun playing and look forward to the next game. =D> =D> =D> =D>

spatialriq
5500 or more caches found

Post by spatialriq » 01 September 16 4:13 pm

Yes, thanks to the organisers. Alas didn't get enough time to get into it as much as I'd hoped, but good fun. \:D/ =D> \:D/

A top 3 finish for the NSW geocachers ... alas no WA reps in any of the winning spots. Will have to lift our game for the next one. :oops:

Zalgariath

Post by Zalgariath » 01 September 16 4:52 pm

Huge thanks to SdL and Louise Ann for the most fun month of caching in a long time! It took a lot of effort and I'm stoked the hard work paid off \:D/

I had the luxury of being in Sydney with its huge cache density and GSAK was the tool of choice that allowed me to find caches with the appropriate size/type/attributes/coords etc to complete so many events. That and hiding what I hope come to be some of the better loved GCA hides on the North Shore, allowed me to hit the theoretical maximum which I had worked out with Excel. Many of those hides had several hours of planning and execution go into them so hopefully they attract some love.

For those interested here is a summary of how I planned my attack. Hopefully it helps with your future events strategy. Apart from investing the time, the key was to AVOID the high point events and score as low as possible

Zalgariath

Post by Zalgariath » 01 September 16 5:15 pm

PS - For (hopefully) a bit of a laugh to close out Geosportz 2016, check out my Podcache hidden for the Equestrian event ;) ...still waiting for FTF too!

http://geocaching.com.au/cache/ga8385

whitewebbs

Post by whitewebbs » 01 September 16 8:42 pm

Thanks to everyone who had a hand in setting the games up, and kept it rolling, especially the administrators. It was loads of fun. Congrats to the podium winners.

Laighside Legends

Post by Laighside Legends » 01 September 16 8:52 pm

Yay! I somehow finished on the podium! (even though technically I probably should be in 4th place) And best out of the non-NSWelshman - I'm not quite sure what to think of that! (interesting thought for next time - minor prizes for 1st place in each state?)

Thanks to all the organisers for making it all happen. Geosportz is one of the games GCA does very well and it gets better every time! The fact that completing all the events was impossible certainly put an interesting spin on it!
Sol de Lune wrote: No thoughts on the Winter Olympics...but there's something on the Gold Coast in a couple of years that look interesting..... :-" :-"
One the things that make Geosportz so successful is the fact that it only comes around every 4 years (remember how we all lost interest in the moving cache races?) - I would be hesitant about running it more often...
Zalgariath wrote:PS - For (hopefully) a bit of a laugh to close out Geosportz 2016, check out my Podcache hidden for the Equestrian event ;) ...still waiting for FTF too!

http://geocaching.com.au/cache/ga8385
Haha - that is a great idea for a cache! I so want to copy it here in SA...

J_&_J
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000016368307

Post by J_&_J » 01 September 16 9:14 pm

We'd like to extend a big thanks to Sol De Lune & LouiseAnn for their administration, and Caughtatwork for enabling the games on GCA and issuing the prizes.

We've had a ball competing, despite being unwell for one of the four weekends, and visited a few areas we don't normally cache in.

Well done to everyone else who competed, especially the newer members.

We're looking forward to the next competition already!

Richary
8000 or more caches found
8000 or more caches found

Post by Richary » 02 September 16 7:21 pm

Yes thanks everyone, it was a bit of fun though being on call a couple of weekends stopped me going too far from home to try and find caches that matched the requirements. But still it got me out and about. Even if I didn't spend enough time working out how to hit 1000 with the maximum number of requirements!

LouiseAnn
4500 or more caches found
4500 or more caches found

Post by LouiseAnn » 03 September 16 7:54 pm

I'm glad everyone enjoyed themselves :) I know I did

tronador

Post by tronador » 03 September 16 10:40 pm

Will we be able to see the other contestants claims? I love seeing the aquatics and wrestling claims after the event.

firnsy
3000 or more caches found
3000 or more caches found

Post by firnsy » 04 September 16 11:02 pm

Thanks to everyone who made this game happen. I would have liked to have participated more, but didn't get much time for caching last month. Had fun when I did have time to join in though ...