History (and other) caches

Discussion about the Geocaching Australia web site
Richary
8000 or more caches found

History (and other) caches

Post by Richary » 13 February 16 11:05 pm

I published my first History cache today, and after advertising it on fb it got a FTF. Well great you may be all be saying. But it also taught me a couple of things.

One is the questions that need to be answered are not displayed in the GPX download, so you need to include them in the cache description. So that someone with a phone app knows what they need to find at GZ.

Second is that it is a new cache type, so if you have alerts set up for new GCA caches in you area, you will need to go in and edit them so you get an email for the new type of cache especially if you are a FTF hound. My old query didn't give me notifications of the new History and Reverse types as an example until I went in and edited the checklist to add those types.

caughtatwork

Re: History (and other) caches

Post by caughtatwork » 14 February 16 11:12 am

With regards to the questions being in the description te wiki is pretty explicit in this regard.
http://wiki.geocaching.com.au/wiki/Hist ... and_Tricks

The site should not ever add content to your cache. You add the content, in the format, style, order and placement as you see fit. The Q&A function on the site is to get the codeword.

The cache page as you see it, when you create it is what the GPX file contains. That's been standard since day 1. Yes, the questions need to be in the description in the same way that every other piece of information to find a cache should also be in the description.

Please add your questions to your cache description in the order, placement, style and anything else you would like.

We will also not set any values for you that you have not chosen such as alerts and others. If you didn't want history caches yet we set them automatically we would cop flack for changing your setting, so we leave everything up to you. We're not going to be doing your thinking for you so you should consider what you need from the site and it should all be available for you to set.

Richary

Post by Richary » 14 February 16 5:33 pm

caughtatwork wrote:We will also not set any values for you that you have not chosen such as alerts and others. If you didn't want history caches yet we set them automatically we would cop flack for changing your setting, so we leave everything up to you. We're not going to be doing your thinking for you so you should consider what you need from the site and it should all be available for you to set.
And I am certainly not complaining about it, that's the way I want it to be. Just pointing it out for others who (like me) hadn't thought to go in and update their alert settings to include history and the other new cache types. I realised it when I didn't see an alert for my new cache <2km from home. Alerts tend to be one of those set and forget things :P

SamCarter
1400 or more caches found
1400 or more caches found

Post by SamCarter » 14 February 16 6:47 pm

In fact, Richary's post was why I was looking for the alerts page last night, because I, too, had set and forgotten, and so needed to update my alerts to make sure it was actually alerting to me to things I was interested in.