GeGnome ][ Electric Boogaloo

Discussion about the Geocaching Australia web site
caughtatwork

Re: GeGnome ][ Electric Boogaloo

Post by caughtatwork » 25 January 16 6:08 pm

Er, then it's probably the home of Geocaching Australia. Whoops.

fluffyfish
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!

Post by fluffyfish » 28 January 16 4:35 pm

fluffyfish wrote:Is it possible to get the most distinct number of gegnome2 gnomes by cacher? I am interested in offering a prize for the most unique gegnome2 finds for a West Aussie cacher. Just trying some ideas to keep them going through to the end of Jan.
Bumping this request to see if anything can be done. Cheers.

spatialriq
5500 or more caches found
5500 or more caches found

Post by spatialriq » 29 January 16 4:37 pm

With 2 days left of the comp I thought I'd have a look at the ladder as I last looked at it mid-December.

Great to see the top 10 spots filled by WA geocachers \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ :gnome :gnomette

firnsy
3000 or more caches found
3000 or more caches found

Post by firnsy » 31 January 16 2:33 pm

spatialriq wrote:With 2 days left of the comp I thought I'd have a look at the ladder as I last looked at it mid-December.

Great to see the top 10 spots filled by WA geocachers \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ :gnome :gnomette
Sure is ... and it will be fantastic if all of the new WA GCA players who joined up for the Gnome race stay with us.

petan
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!
Location: One foot on either side of the border (SE Qld/NE NSW)

Post by petan » 31 January 16 10:17 pm

I was pleased to see that three of the gnomes which have been in South East Queensland over summer are in the top five for the 1 km & <=10 k moves category. One of them Gnome Miner, is at the top of the table for overall moves.

From a state where GCA caches are nowhere near as popular as GC.com caches and one where I almost fully expected to either collect my little gnome from his original hiding spot at the end of the competition or mark him as missing because the gardeners found him, I think this is a remarkable achievement, mostly carried off by a dedicated crew of four dedicated new GCA cachers from the northern eastern side side of Brisbane city. Looking at the kms clocked up by Gnome Miner considering he had only a short single return trip to Ballina from Brisbane, they covered in excess of 450km, discounting the Ballina trip.

Speaking with two of them today, it sounds like they had a ball and are looking forward to the Dec 2016 games. I had a ball, even though lack of local 'gnomers' meant that my moves were limited and only when someone generously left me one or I had the opportunity to head 100km up the road to Brissy or down to Ballna.

Thank you Caught at Work and everyone else caught up in this game. Its been fun.

Now_To_Morrow
3500 or more caches found

Post by Now_To_Morrow » 01 February 16 9:35 am

Is there a prize for best written log? I'd vote petan #1 although I didn't get to read others'. Petan, I LOVED your 'letters'. =D>

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 01 February 16 10:17 am

There will be 169 prizes go into the reward generator shortly. The rewards were shipped to me from the USA over the weekend, so I suspect they will be here in a few weeks.

I am avoiding "best" which is simply too subjective. I saw so many creative gnomes this year that I would also like to nominate some for a reward, but again, it's too subjective and I didn't get to see them all and missed heaps that may have been equal or better.

The list of winners will be posted shortly.

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 01 February 16 10:21 am

fluffyfish wrote:
fluffyfish wrote:Is it possible to get the most distinct number of gegnome2 gnomes by cacher? I am interested in offering a prize for the most unique gegnome2 finds for a West Aussie cacher. Just trying some ideas to keep them going through to the end of Jan.
Heyo.

I didn't respond to this initially because the game was about the cache and not the cacher. Now that there has been a bump, I'll let you know that while you are free to do as you please, I'm not going to make up a list of who found the most. The game is about the cache and how it moved, not the cacher who found the most. Some people are at an advantage because they are retired and may chase gnomes all week. Others who work may only get out for a few hours each weekend. I would like to not draw a parallel with time and "best / most". Please don't be offended. We stopped considering offering rewards for the "most" a long time ago and try to make an even playing field for as many folks as possible.

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 01 February 16 1:05 pm

http://geocaching.com.au/dragonzone/game/gegnome_ii
Prizes have been checked, calculated and awarded according to the original rules as well as bunch of others because we're feeling generous. Check your email over the next week and see whether you have been rewarded. Rewards will be out in a few weeks as we're waiting on their delivery from the USA.

fluffyfish
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!

Post by fluffyfish » 01 February 16 1:33 pm

caughtatwork wrote:
fluffyfish wrote:
Heyo.

I didn't respond to this initially because the game was about the cache and not the cacher. Now that there has been a bump, I'll let you know that while you are free to do as you please, I'm not going to make up a list of who found the most. The game is about the cache and how it moved, not the cacher who found the most. Some people are at an advantage because they are retired and may chase gnomes all week. Others who work may only get out for a few hours each weekend. I would like to not draw a parallel with time and "best / most". Please don't be offended. We stopped considering offering rewards for the "most" a long time ago and try to make an even playing field for as many folks as possible.
OK. I have done it myself based on the gegnome2 gpx.

I will contact the West Aussie players personally regarding the ladder and award a prize.

petan
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!
Location: One foot on either side of the border (SE Qld/NE NSW)

Post by petan » 01 February 16 7:17 pm

No_Tomorrow wrote:Is there a prize for best written log? I'd vote petan #1 although I didn't get to read others'. Petan, I LOVED your 'letters'. =D>
Oh I have fun with logs during movable events. Just gets a little embarrassing when I re-read the logs later and spot the grammar mistakes. :oops:

Glad you liked the logs No_Tomorrow. I enjoyed visiting skateparks with GeGnarly during his time with me.

Now_To_Morrow

Post by Now_To_Morrow » 03 February 16 8:02 am

I have a question about karma points - did karma points only get allocated the first time GeGnomes were found, or was I meant to get points each time it was found?

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 03 February 16 9:46 am

Karma should have applied each time your cache was found but only when it is found by a dragonZone game member.

gmj3191
7500 or more caches found
7500 or more caches found

Post by gmj3191 » 05 February 16 3:51 pm

Rough game this year. My Gegnome was smashed in the face and lost his nose somewhere between Traralgon and Patterson Lakes.
Despite this near fatal blow, he wandered out to Ballarat and finally made it to Canberra.

LouiseAnn
4500 or more caches found
4500 or more caches found

Post by LouiseAnn » 05 February 16 4:08 pm

My GeGnome is on a hill somewhere in WA. I hope he has a nice few.
I might have to ask a few of the Victorian's who are heading to WA Goes Big if they could nab him.