GeGnome ][ Electric Boogaloo

Discussion about the Geocaching Australia web site
fluffyfish
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!

Re: GeGnome ][ Electric Boogaloo

Post by fluffyfish » 06 December 15 8:38 pm

Chwiliwr wrote:The following is a rant to get it out of my system otherwise I would be seriously considering ignoring the gnomes altogether and I didn't really want to do that after finally getting two gnomes to enter.

"put down but picked up straight away"

Is not this type of 'move' log contrary to the rules.

It was more annoying because I was just about to arrive at GZ when I noticed the actual content of the log.

I don't mind not finding moved gnomes because somebody was already there before me but to go looking when it would never have been there to find is quite annoying.

The following find log by another cacher makes me think the worst about what really was happening. "So we meet again! In the back of the ... now"
Well you might of as well call me out Chwillir.

The quote of "So we meet again..." was related the the "Big Boy" gnome which I had a ftf on. My "see we meet again" was that I picked him back up again to move.

The further accusation around "put down but picked up straight away" was related to the actual nice event. I found a gnome in Gosnells and was looking for a traditional. Then iluvtrekking came along to find it as well. It was unplanned. Rather than run around and hide the gnomes in our possession under bushes, we decided to move them to the location of our cars. Once they were moved, we picked up the other persons gnomes. Due to issues logging the finds from iluvetrekking, we said our farewells as they logged the move and which once done, I will log the find. Each was a valid move and a valid find. I'm sorry (not sorry) that we happened to catch up with iluvtrekking by chance and you missed out on some finds.

If you want the gnome in my possession, send me a pm to arrange a pick up. I will move them to that location and you can find them.

fluffyfish
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!

Post by fluffyfish » 06 December 15 8:44 pm

The rule is "Caches must be found and hidden by the same geocacher (i.e. no mailing the GeGnome to another geocacher to hide)." in relation to your statement "Is not this type of 'move' log contrary to the rules. "

Since we found and then hid each gnome (on a fence post) by the respective cacher then it is not contrary to the rules.

dezzabills
3500 or more caches found
3500 or more caches found

Post by dezzabills » 06 December 15 9:03 pm

What is peeving me off at the moment with the gnome race is people picking up my gnome and hanging onto it for 24hrs and longer. Currently my gnome has been held for 48hrs and as yet has not been placed out.

And now it is nearing the end of the day guess it won't go out till tomorrow making it 60hrs that it has not been in the field and not in the race. There should be another condition that they not be held for so long.

it seems that these people are doing this to prevent me from getting distances and logs scored so there gnome gets more logs scored.

Seems like some people are cheating the rules for their own gain.

Richary
8000 or more caches found

Post by Richary » 06 December 15 10:05 pm

That always happens, after a big 11 gnome day today (well some were moveables from previous races that showed up in the area) I still have 5. I don't drive to work these days, but hope to plant a couple in bush near work and I will be meeting some other hunters tomorrow night so will move them on then. Sometimes life gets in the way of caching.

Hopefully whoever has yours can place them soon somewhere that will be a quick find as opposed to a non-GA cacher area which has also happened in the past! I know from previous races that spots that seemed like a good hide at the time meant things didn't move. Here in Sydney we have a track from Hornsby to Parramatta/Rookwood/Meadowbank where things get found. Move them out of that triangle and they are unlikely to move in a hurry. Look at the map and there are no gnomes placed outside this area though some have moved west apart from a few. And there is a community up in the Blue Mountains that move them. Other areas are a dead zone for GA hunters.

gmj3191
7500 or more caches found

Post by gmj3191 » 06 December 15 10:07 pm

Good to see this passion emerging from the competition.

Taz
400 or more spectacular views seen
400 or more spectacular views seen

Post by Taz » 07 December 15 6:18 am

Sometimes you pick up a gnome and don't have a chance to get it to a spot for a day or two, I would expect that at some point. Would people rather that gnomes got picked up and moved or just discovered and left in place for days on end because someone knew they couldn't get it out in the same trip?
I picked up a trackable (not a gnome) on friday on the way home, then I had to go off on a scout camp for the weekend, camp wasn't somewhere that a trackable would get picked up easily so I left it at home. I will no doubt have it out and moving again this afternoon but I have had it in my possession for 3 days now. It happens.

Geocaching Australia

Post by Geocaching Australia » 07 December 15 8:41 am

dezzabills wrote:Hi i just joined a dragon zone. I am new to all of this and did not know about it. But i have just learnt about it. Can my gnome be included for points, also i have made several finds and moves of caches over the last 6 days. can these have points allocated to my dragon zone?
Thanks
love all the different types, shapes and sizes of gnomes. it is great fun especially being new to geocaching. feel like a big kid finding treasure sometimes!!!! 8) \:D/

Also what frustrates me a lot with the gnome race is people picking up my gnome and hanging onto it for 24hrs and currently has been held for 48hrs. There should be another condition that they not be held for so long. it seems that these people are doing this to prevent me from getting distances and logs scored so there gnome gets more logs scored.
well that is the way i see it anyway.

[-X ](*,)
Sorry, you can only earn points from the day you joined dragonZone. Backdating of points would not be fair to others who joined years after they started geocaching and haven't accumulated the points for prior finds. This has been in place since dragonZone started.

The general approach we have asked people to follow is to move a gnome on within 2 days. If life gets in the way and they cannot do that, then they can't do that. There is no penalty if they can't do that. As far as a strategy to help their own gnome, it's a useless one. There are still gnomes moving in all other states, so hanging onto 1 or 2 from a couple of hundred doesn't help them get any further ahead.

The game is intended to be fun not punitive.

Geocaching Australia

Post by Geocaching Australia » 07 December 15 8:44 am

dezzabills wrote:What is peeving me off at the moment with the gnome race is people picking up my gnome and hanging onto it for 24hrs and longer. Currently my gnome has been held for 48hrs and as yet has not been placed out.

And now it is nearing the end of the day guess it won't go out till tomorrow making it 60hrs that it has not been in the field and not in the race. There should be another condition that they not be held for so long.

it seems that these people are doing this to prevent me from getting distances and logs scored so there gnome gets more logs scored.

Seems like some people are cheating the rules for their own gain.
Be patient. There's still 7 or more weeks to go in the game so I'm sure your gnome will be out and about sooner rather than later.

Geocaching Australia

Post by Geocaching Australia » 07 December 15 8:59 am

Richary wrote:Found this link to see where the gnomes are currently located.

http://geocaching.com.au/my/query/gmap/7536

I know that a number of times it has been asked if there was a way of creating found and taken logs, and the answer has always been it is not compatible with the GPX format.

But thinking about it, could we add found and taken as a log type that would show up as a different colour on the GCA map, but still just export as Found for gpx? Then I can look at the map and know which are taken, and which might still be there without having to check each moveable for the last log to see if it was taken or not?

It's no biggie, just an idea.
GA Cacher doesn't handle this so there is no immediate solution available to us, collectively.

There is nothing to stop the cacher logging a find instead of a find and taken. You still end up in the same situation.

We have discussed the same point since the first moving cache race in 2009. There is simply no way of identify where a geocache is at any given point in time. Even if we did have the found and moved, until that log is made the cache looks like it's in place. You get there and ... nothing.

It help to address the issue, but doesn't solve it. Nothing will solve it.

You will, we're afraid, need to do some work to identify where a geocache is, whether it's still there, whether the chances of it having been picked up in the last hour or 1 minute are high or low and take your chances.

If the site was able to tell you exactly where a geocache was at any point, then there would be no point in the game and we would just randomly allocate points and declare a winner.

We are not averse to continuing to discuss a solution, but we're pretty certain that there is no solution that will address the whole issue.

Geocaching Australia

Post by Geocaching Australia » 07 December 15 9:02 am

Please keep in mind the game is supposed to fun. If you're not having fun, then we're not running the right sort of game.

rogerw3

Post by rogerw3 » 07 December 15 5:30 pm

Geocaching Australia wrote:
Richary wrote:Found this link to see where the gnomes are currently located.

http://geocaching.com.au/my/query/gmap/7536

I know that a number of times it has been asked if there was a way of creating found and taken logs, and the answer has always been it is not compatible with the GPX format.

But thinking about it, could we add found and taken as a log type that would show up as a different colour on the GCA map, but still just export as Found for gpx? Then I can look at the map and know which are taken, and which might still be there without having to check each moveable for the last log to see if it was taken or not?

It's no biggie, just an idea.
GA Cacher doesn't handle this so there is no immediate solution available to us, collectively.

There is nothing to stop the cacher logging a find instead of a find and taken. You still end up in the same situation.

We have discussed the same point since the first moving cache race in 2009. There is simply no way of identify where a geocache is at any given point in time. Even if we did have the found and moved, until that log is made the cache looks like it's in place. You get there and ... nothing.

It help to address the issue, but doesn't solve it. Nothing will solve it.

You will, we're afraid, need to do some work to identify where a geocache is, whether it's still there, whether the chances of it having been picked up in the last hour or 1 minute are high or low and take your chances.

If the site was able to tell you exactly where a geocache was at any point, then there would be no point in the game and we would just randomly allocate points and declare a winner.

We are not averse to continuing to discuss a solution, but we're pretty certain that there is no solution that will address the whole issue.
:D :griffin :gnome
What I do when leaving a moveable in place, first I do my found log and then a moved log, I just move it to the same spot with the same hint. I have not had any complaints when doing that so perhaps it works!
:lol: :gnomette :griffin

rogerw3

Post by rogerw3 » 07 December 15 5:31 pm

caughtatwork wrote:Errr, if you're getting a lot of superfluous notifications, sorry. There's a bug in allocating dZone points for a future publication so they were updated manually. Apologies for spamming everyone with new published logs.
:gnome :D

Gnathan seem to have fallen thru the cracks! http://geocaching.com.au/cache/ga7767

Or more likely I have got myself mixed up!

:gnomette :griffin

gmj3191

Post by gmj3191 » 07 December 15 5:55 pm

rogerw3 wrote: :D :griffin :gnome
What I do when leaving a moveable in place, first I do my found log and then a moved log, I just move it to the same spot with the same hint. I have not had any complaints when doing that so perhaps it works!
Well since there are prizes for the numbers of moves, I think this is not in the spirit of the game as you're faking a move. A group of ten people could come along and do that and suddenly that Gnome has an unreachable lead, which would inspire others to do the same, wrecking the game. Why not just log your FIND and then a NOTED to say it's still in place. No issues with that, that I can think of.

rogerw3

Post by rogerw3 » 07 December 15 8:02 pm

gmj3191 wrote:
rogerw3 wrote: :D :griffin :gnome
Well since there are prizes for the numbers of moves, I think this is not in the spirit of the game as you're faking a move. A group of ten people could come along and do that and suddenly that Gnome has an unreachable lead, which would inspire others to do the same, wrecking the game. Why not just log your FIND and then a NOTED to say it's still in place. No issues with that, that I can think of.
Fair enough, I won't do that anymore. Although i have only done that with moveables that were not involved in any race.

gmj3191

Post by gmj3191 » 07 December 15 8:08 pm

That's why there haven't been any complaints I guess.