GeGnome ][ Electric Boogaloo

Discussion about the Geocaching Australia web site
gmj3191
7500 or more caches found

Re: GeGnome ][ Electric Boogaloo

Post by gmj3191 » 01 December 15 7:20 pm

One of the gnomes has made - 1 moves and is therefore at the bottom of the leader board.

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 01 December 15 9:01 pm

It certainly has. The first location makes the move count 1, so we subtract 1 to make the move count. As this cache was published before the game commenced, there is no first location in the game period so the move count is 0 and when we subtract 1 you get -1.

I'll fix this published log to some time in the game period.

ChrisWhite62

Post by ChrisWhite62 » 03 December 15 10:11 pm

My gnome Victor the Vet Gnome GA7824 has been moved once but is showing up as zero moves. I don't think it is something I can fix. Would you be able to have a look please.

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 04 December 15 8:20 am

ChrisWhite62 wrote:My gnome Victor the Vet Gnome GA7824 has been moved once but is showing up as zero moves. I don't think it is something I can fix. Would you be able to have a look please.
It has not actually moved. The co-ords on the move log are the same as the published log. So in distance terms it hasn't moved at all. You might want to contact the last finder and see where they actually moved it to and ask them to update the new co-ords.

LouiseAnn
4500 or more caches found

Post by LouiseAnn » 04 December 15 11:36 am

I think I've done it!! I have a little bit of code here, for the GSAK where tab in the find window, that will filter out any GeGnomes that are in people hands. Do let me know how you go with it....

code IN (Select lparent from (SELECT lparent, ltype, max(lLogID), lLon from logs group by lparent) where lLon <> "")

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 04 December 15 12:04 pm

Wouldn't that be relocated if
lLon <> ""
i.e. It's been moved and rehidden with co-ords?

Adding one more wrinkle, some people don't move geocaches. If they just log a find, your check will not identify that they have been found but are still in the same location. i.e. They appear t be in peoples hands which they're not. Close, but not perfect and probably satisfactory for general use.

gmj3191

Post by gmj3191 » 04 December 15 2:16 pm

I think GA7951 has really only moved twice, but had a messy setup which was mislogged as several moves.

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 04 December 15 3:22 pm

Barry has been normalised.

LouiseAnn

Post by LouiseAnn » 04 December 15 5:21 pm

Yes, not perfect, but then.... this is life, and nothing really is :)

Richary
8000 or more caches found

Post by Richary » 05 December 15 8:31 pm

Found this link to see where the gnomes are currently located.

http://geocaching.com.au/my/query/gmap/7536

I know that a number of times it has been asked if there was a way of creating found and taken logs, and the answer has always been it is not compatible with the GPX format.

But thinking about it, could we add found and taken as a log type that would show up as a different colour on the GCA map, but still just export as Found for gpx? Then I can look at the map and know which are taken, and which might still be there without having to check each moveable for the last log to see if it was taken or not?

It's no biggie, just an idea.

LouiseAnn

Post by LouiseAnn » 06 December 15 10:58 am

I as thinking along similar lines just yesterday

ziggiau
3000 or more caches found
3000 or more caches found
Twitter: ziggiau

Post by ziggiau » 06 December 15 12:03 pm

Richary wrote:But thinking about it, could we add found and taken as a log type that would show up as a different colour on the GCA map, but still just export as Found for gpx? Then I can look at the map and know which are taken, and which might still be there without having to check each moveable for the last log to see if it was taken or not?
Good idea Richary as I've fallen for the green tick vs the blue arrow trap twice already (I'm a :gnome newbie).

dezzabills
3500 or more caches found
3500 or more caches found

Post by dezzabills » 06 December 15 1:09 pm

Hi i just joined a dragon zone. I am new to all of this and did not know about it. But i have just learnt about it. Can my gnome be included for points, also i have made several finds and moves of caches over the last 6 days. can these have points allocated to my dragon zone?
Thanks
love all the different types, shapes and sizes of gnomes. it is great fun especially being new to geocaching. feel like a big kid finding treasure sometimes!!!! 8) \:D/

Also what frustrates me a lot with the gnome race is people picking up my gnome and hanging onto it for 24hrs and currently has been held for 48hrs. There should be another condition that they not be held for so long. it seems that these people are doing this to prevent me from getting distances and logs scored so there gnome gets more logs scored.
well that is the way i see it anyway.

[-X ](*,)
Last edited by dezzabills on 06 December 15 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Chwiliwr
10000 or more caches found
10000 or more caches found

Post by Chwiliwr » 06 December 15 7:29 pm

The following is a rant to get it out of my system otherwise I would be seriously considering ignoring the gnomes altogether and I didn't really want to do that after finally getting two gnomes to enter.

"put down but picked up straight away"

Is not this type of 'move' log contrary to the rules.

It was more annoying because I was just about to arrive at GZ when I noticed the actual content of the log.

I don't mind not finding moved gnomes because somebody was already there before me but to go looking when it would never have been there to find is quite annoying.

The following find log by another cacher makes me think the worst about what really was happening. "So we meet again! In the back of the ... now"

Richary

Post by Richary » 06 December 15 7:49 pm

Chwiliwr wrote:"put down but picked up straight away"
Well I had that happen today as just as I had grabbed a gnome and replaced it with another one, another cacher turned up and said I had beaten him to it. So I let him take the one I had just placed there and logged it as such so it was moved, but the log said I knew it had already gone. Not a planned event.