GeGnome ][ Electric Boogaloo

Discussion about the Geocaching Australia web site
day1976

Re: GeGnome ][ Electric Boogaloo

Post by day1976 » 28 October 15 10:06 pm

caughtatwork wrote:Informational update

GeGnome ][ Electric Boogaloo will run from 1st December 2015 00:00:00 (AEDT) through to 31-Jan-2016 23:59:59 (AEDT)

Winners will be:
- Geocache with the most moves > 0 km* and < 1 km (provided the owner hasn't already won a prize)
- Geocache with the most moves >= 1 km* (provided the owner hasn't already won a prize)
- Geocache with the most moves >= 10 km* (provided the owner hasn't already won a prize)
- Geocache with the most moves >= 100 km* (provided the owner hasn't already won a prize)
- Geocache with the most moves >= 1,000 km* (provided the owner hasn't already won a prize)
- Geocache with the most moves >= 10,000 km* (provided the owner hasn't already won a prize)
- Geocache that has the highest cumulative distance moved (provided the owner hasn't already won a prize)
- Geocache that has the single highest distance moved (provided the owner hasn't already won a prize)
- Other winners will be announced as the countdown continues
* Distances will only apply once. i.e. If a geocache moves by 150 km it will count in the > 100 km category only and will not count in the > 10 km and > 1 km categories.

Your geocache must a genuine, bone fide garden gnome
You are allowed to move your own geocache
Caches must be found, moved and rehidden by the same geocacher
There is no limit to the number of times other geocachers can find / move the cache provided there are at least two other finds / moves in between
If a geocacher moves your geocache overseas and it remains unfound overseas for 1 week or more, the geocacher may move your geocache back to the country of origin without breaking the "2 moves" rule
There is no limit to the distance other geocachers can move a geocache
Other geocachers in the game may find / move your geocache, but to play fair they're asked to move it on within 2 days
Geocaches must be hidden where the stated co-ordinates indicate and may then, and only then, be moved
Leapfrogging geocaches by nominating hidden co-ordinates in one location then immediately having them move to another set of co-ordinates just to increase distance or moves may be grounds for disqualification
My poor gnomes are soooo going to lose this competition....

GJMMelb
3000 or more caches found

Post by GJMMelb » 29 October 15 11:02 pm

caughtatwork wrote:
Your geocache must a genuine, bone fide garden gnome
:gnome Is there a height minimum for a genuine bone fide garden gnome? :gnomette

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 30 October 15 8:17 am

No. Gnomes come in all shapes and sizes. The smaller the gnome the greater the likelihood of it going missing in a bush or the back seat of someones car though.

GJMMelb

Post by GJMMelb » 30 October 15 4:43 pm

caughtatwork wrote:No. Gnomes come in all shapes and sizes. The smaller the gnome the greater the likelihood of it going missing in a bush or the back seat of someones car though.
True enough, we found a gnome (or was it frog) in the boot of the car about a week after we thought we had moved it on. :oops: :oops: :oops: There are some cute medium sized ones tho :gnomette :gnome

The Morris
8500 or more caches found

Post by The Morris » 30 October 15 11:00 pm

I found some fun ones at the cheap shops today. Is it my imagination or is there a lot more rude ones around now

Just a cacher

Post by Just a cacher » 01 November 15 9:44 am

Comment removed.
Last edited by Just a cacher on 02 November 15 6:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Geocaching Australia

Post by Geocaching Australia » 01 November 15 1:15 pm

The game has launched:
http://geocaching.com.au/dragonzone/game/gegnome_ii

Feel free to ask any questions and we'll see if we an answer. The game is being run from Geocaching Australia this year which should keep the website traffic a little more under control.

rogerw3
8000 or more caches found

Post by rogerw3 » 04 November 15 12:11 pm

:gnome \:D/

I have been asked to inform the public that the GCA (Gnome Commonwealth Army) 666th Gnome Gnarmy will be active again from December 1, 2016 until January 31, 2016.
Various Gnome volunteers will conduct surveillance operations during that period. Please assist them in any way possible.

:gnomette :lol:

Tuena
6500 or more caches found
6500 or more caches found

Post by Tuena » 04 November 15 12:55 pm

rogerw3 wrote::gnome \:D/

I have been asked to inform the public that the GCA (Gnome Commonwealth Army) 666th Gnome Gnarmy will be active again from December 1, 2016 until January 31, 2016.
Various Gnome volunteers will conduct surveillance operations during that period. Please assist them in any way possible.

:gnomette :lol:
Trying to get my mind around that activity period. They'll have themselves in knots. I suggest the assistance of this cache - GA0620. :minotaur :gnome :)

Geocaching Australia

Post by Geocaching Australia » 04 November 15 7:08 pm

Will you be a winner?

The Morris

Post by The Morris » 04 November 15 7:46 pm

oh so Coool Peter

rogerw3

Post by rogerw3 » 04 November 15 8:30 pm

:gnome =D>

Love this design, any chance of a jpeg of the nice Gnome that I can use on the log book?

:gnomette :wink:

Taz
400 or more spectacular views seen

Post by Taz » 05 November 15 9:57 am

Thought I might join in this time, sounds fun.
Is there going to be a gnome list out there?
Just to be clear we can move our own Gnome if we choose and we have to allow at least 2 moves in between?
Are there any other rules/etiquette the newbies need to know? I don't want to step on any toes or rules written or unwritten.

WE'RE going on a GNOME hunt! :gnome =D> :gnomette
Gotta catch em all!

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 05 November 15 10:25 am

Taz wrote:Thought I might join in this time, sounds fun.
Is there going to be a gnome list out there?
Just to be clear we can move our own Gnome if we choose and we have to allow at least 2 moves in between?
Are there any other rules/etiquette the newbies need to know? I don't want to step on any toes or rules written or unwritten.

WE'RE going on a GNOME hunt! :gnome =D> :gnomette
Gotta catch em all!
Rules: just what you see. You can move your own cache (provided there are two other moves in between). Don't hang onto a gnome for too long (2 days is recommended). Gnomes which are out of play are not fair to the owners. If you move them somewhere please actually move them. No virtual moving will be tolerated after the issues a few years ago. Don't try and game the system. Try and do the right thing by the other people playing the game by only recording legitimate moves.

As far as etiquette goes, don't dump a gnome 200km from nowhere. That's not nice and basically exits the gnome from the race. Get good co-ordinates. Seriously. Don't dump and run. Get co-ords as you would a permanent cache AND include a darn good hint. As caches move along, I don't know if I can't find the cache whether it's been moved, muggled or just bad co-ords. Try to help the caches move by getting hood co-ords and give a good hint. This is a challenge of moving caches along, not trying to make them impossible to find.

The best way to get the list of gnomes is to create a query:

http://geocaching.com.au/my/query/new
Or via the Menu, My Profile, then Query, then New.

All Gnomes are required to be tagged with gegnome2 to enter the race (that's how the software identifies them).

So in your query:
Select moveable caches
Select Is Available (to stop seeing archived or temporarily disabled caches)
Sort by set this to HOME (if you have home co-ords set) so they appear in order from your home base
Set a tag of gegnome2

Save and then click "screen" or "gmap" to see what you need to see. You won't see anything immediately as there are no live GeGnome2 caches. You can also use GPX or ZIP to have these go to your GPS or GSAK.

Taz

Post by Taz » 05 November 15 4:31 pm

Thanks C@W! what fun!