Proposed new home page

Discussion about the Geocaching Australia web site
WazzaAndWenches
5000 or more caches found

Re: Proposed new home page

Post by WazzaAndWenches » 31 July 15 10:30 pm

Laighside Legends wrote: Have you considered using the logo that is on the forums pages on the home page? - looks more GCAish than just the little square one...
Agreed. Otherwise most seems quite good. Not cluttered. Not too overwhelming for newbies but lots for the more experienced.

Colour scheme is a little bland. Perhaps a little colour on the various buttons.

Sol de Lune

Post by Sol de Lune » 01 August 15 12:11 am

Honesty....

I'm one of those who hates change just for the sake of change....(just) to me, the current home page doesn't look broken, but if it's about server space/use, clutter and ease of use for newbies, then the new look looks good to me as well. Maps and the ability to search for a particular GA number are important to me, and as they are both still there.....all is good.

I've been playing the GCA space for a few years, so if the new home page makes things easier for both old and new players, let's do it........ :D :D

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 01 August 15 3:43 pm

Laighside Legends wrote:Looks good! =D>

Just a thought: Have you considered using the logo that is on the forums pages on the home page? - looks more GCAish than just the little square one...
No. I hate it.

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 01 August 15 3:46 pm

WazzaAndWenches wrote:
Laighside Legends wrote: Have you considered using the logo that is on the forums pages on the home page? - looks more GCAish than just the little square one...
Agreed. Otherwise most seems quite good. Not cluttered. Not too overwhelming for newbies but lots for the more experienced.

Colour scheme is a little bland. Perhaps a little colour on the various buttons.
You're not the first person to mention this. I need a colour palette to work from. I cannot create one myself. I ask each time for a colour palette but one is never forthcoming.I like the feedback on this but this has to be provided to me.

Just a cacher

Post by Just a cacher » 02 August 15 5:52 pm

If you mean those four boxes you can click on to search for a cache, I would go with either the blue of the Australia map on the earlier page, or use the colours of the logo: orange yellow green and blue.

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 14 August 15 9:41 am

Just a cacher wrote:Bear with me, remembering that I may not have a clue what I'm talking about:

On the front page, where you have the title, the map, and the words in box down the right side of the map. I looked at that yesterday, checked again today, and I have just figured out what it is meant to be. Well, I think so. If it's meant to be the steps to find a geocache, can I make a couple of suggestions? If so, read on: First, put that "Find a Geocache" title inside the grey box, as well as at the top of the page (You could even re-label it as How to Find a Geocache). Second, how about indenting those links, or putting them in italics, or something? They aren't ALWAYS one of the steps, are they?
The links to the apps are not part of the steps to finding a geocache, no. This information was more for the very new person who would not know how to get the data into their device to even start to find a geocache.

I'll take your suggestions and move them across to the front page redesign thread where I won't lose them.

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 14 August 15 9:46 am

Some additional feedback which I'm collecting here to keep it all safe.

Please add your feedback and comments here as well.
In the "How do you go Geocaching?" drop down section, I think it should clarify that not all those steps in "Choose a Geocache" are necessary. Are they? I would think that choosing one of those steps would do it. You could try using a)., b). OR c).

In the "then" part, you've got a tiny wee typing error. You have 'of' instead of 'or' in step 3.

Should you have a section labelled "How to log your Adventure Online"?

Typing error in "What do I need to go Geocaching?" It's spelled adventure. In "What else is there to know about Geocaching?", you have an 'and' immediately folowed by a full stop. I think you should have a word in there. That's in the second dot point.
Can I suggest another dot point in that section, mentioning how important it is NOT to destroy the environment you are searching? Or put another point in "What are the Rules of Geocaching?" Or both?

In the section headed, "How do I load the Geocache?", the part about 'send to GPS' has a problem in the first bit, where it says, "Some GPS units that you can can connect". Sorry, I don't know how to fix that bit.

In "What do I do when I've found a geocache?", dot point three: that 'it's' should be 'its'. Now, in regard to the last dot point, I should mention that if I SHOULD happen to enjoy any geocachers (or they enjoy me), I would NEVER presume to rank them. How about you say, "geocaches" instead?

Added: Just one more thing: Should you perhaps see about making the how to register or log in bit a trifle larger?

fluffyfish
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!

Post by fluffyfish » 14 August 15 5:42 pm

I like the new layout. Took a little while to get used to but certainly a lot simpler.

oldfella
10000 or more caches found
10000 or more caches found

Post by oldfella » 14 August 15 6:23 pm

I have spent a good majority of the afternoon just playing around with it and I must confess I like it. Once I got my head around the new layout and the very plain main page. Thank you for all the work and effort that went into this not forgetting the amount of time it must have taken.

Just a cacher

Post by Just a cacher » 14 August 15 8:04 pm

I am not sure if this something that has been overlooked, or a cunning plan, but I went to the shop page and once there, I couldn't escape. I USED to be able to click on the GA logo and go back to the home page, but not today.

WazzaAndWenches

Post by WazzaAndWenches » 14 August 15 11:36 pm

Just a cacher wrote:I am not sure if this something that has been overlooked, or a cunning plan, but I went to the shop page and once there, I couldn't escape. I USED to be able to click on the GA logo and go back to the home page, but not today.
A bit like walking into Ikea. Once you're in you cannot get out without walking through the whole store ](*,)

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 15 August 15 12:50 pm

The shop has never had a link back to the site. The out of the box functions don't expect to be running as an add-on, it's expected to the the whole site. So there's no link back to anywhere because the shop is supposed to be it.

Zalgariath
5500 or more caches found
5500 or more caches found

Post by Zalgariath » 15 August 15 7:57 pm

Liking the changes. While there has been debate as to the relevance of forums in today's social media driven world, I still think the forum is just as important to GCA as actually listing the caches. I'd like to see an obvious banner / button for easy navigation to the forum. Here is an example, also helps to balance the boxes which my OCD says is neater ;)

nutwood

Post by nutwood » 15 August 15 8:24 pm

I must confess that my first reaction was that I hated it. However, I then discovered a useful little button down the bottom called "site map" and all was forgiven.
Looks good, and for someone stumbling on the site for the first time, it'll probably work better than the old site.

crew 153
9000 or more caches found
9000 or more caches found

Post by crew 153 » 16 August 15 9:42 am

Don't know if it is just me but the search boxes appear to be upside down. My work flow and reading is from the top down so I keep looking for the search selection box to be above the go button.