Purge of missing movable caches

Discussion about the Geocaching Australia web site
pjmpjm
6000 or more caches found
Twitter: Booroobin

Re: Purge of missing movable caches

Post by pjmpjm » 07 July 15 12:52 pm

Pesky! wrote:On the subject of Movable cache cleanups.
i have a suggestion for something that may help.
as we are a community driven game. why not devise a event/game that would not require new moveables to be created,but rather score points ofr finding, and correcting old moveable caches. to give people and incentive to search out, or re-hide the ones they have sitting at home.?
this is as much as i have thought through, so i don't have any suggestions, other than maybe making it a Winter appeal each year. like the cache races,and Dragon zones etc. it coulld be run to encourage more cold weather cache hunting.
just a thought.
I think something along these lines would be a very good idea . . . a game that makes use of existing moveables. Maybe someone can work this idea up into a kind of competition.

pjmpjm

Post by pjmpjm » 07 July 15 12:53 pm

caughtatwork wrote:Around 200 or so movable caches across Australia have been archived in the last 2 or 3 days . .
My 'Red Bison Frog' has just 'returned from the dead.' \:D/

nutwood

Post by nutwood » 07 July 15 10:08 pm

We seem to have a problem where we find a cache, move and log a cache the same day, then find out a year later that we're the last finder! I've put this down to being interrupted before the final click of "log". I've a busy e.mail and phone so it seemed possible that this had happened, then the unfinished log just got closed down hours later. I'm beginning to wonder now as I'm noticing too many. If anyone has a "lost" cache who's last finder was nutwood, or my daughter friesianess, I'd greatly appreciate a PM. We might be able to tell you where your cache is hidden!

spatialriq
5500 or more caches found
5500 or more caches found

Post by spatialriq » 07 July 15 11:01 pm

pjmpjm wrote:
caughtatwork wrote:Around 200 or so movable caches across Australia have been archived in the last 2 or 3 days . .
Had it in my hands on the weekend at an event in Kings Park in Perth WA. Always good to see a cache resurface =D>

pjmpjm

Post by pjmpjm » 08 July 15 2:45 pm

spatialriq wrote:
pjmpjm wrote:
Had it in my hands on the weekend at an event in Kings Park in Perth WA. Always good to see a cache resurface =D>
Thanks for the feedback, spatialriq! My 'Leura to the World' sistema . . . a much older moveable . . . has also reincarnated, so to speak, in the past couple of days. A cacher from SA has left it in his car while he travels around Estonia, and he promises that he'll put it back on the road by the end of July. So that's two of my 'lost' moveables unexpectedly back on the radar . . .

:frog :frogette :gnomette :gnome :weepingangel :D
Last edited by pjmpjm on 08 July 15 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tyreless
800 or more hollow logs searched

Post by Tyreless » 08 July 15 2:52 pm

How do I find out if any moveables are currently logged as being in my possession? Is there an easy way to do it on the web site? I think I may be guilty of having one hiding in a pile of random stuff in the garage. :oops:

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 08 July 15 3:35 pm

Nope, we have nothing to help you I'm afraid. As we don't know if you "found" it or "found and took it", we can't help you work out what you do or do not have.

Tyreless

Post by Tyreless » 08 July 15 4:02 pm

Thanks C@W. Looks like I'll have to do it the hard way (ie: search through the big random pile of stuff in the garage - probably a T1/D3.5 by now).

Richary
8000 or more caches found
8000 or more caches found

Post by Richary » 08 July 15 7:11 pm

caughtatwork wrote:Nope, we have nothing to help you I'm afraid. As we don't know if you "found" it or "found and took it", we can't help you work out what you do or do not have.
I guess you could possibly do a search on all GCA moveables you have found, and then check the logs to see if you have either moved it after, or the text says you left it in place. Probably easy to work out if you were the last finder with a tool like GSAK.

geo_jas
3000 or more caches found
3000 or more caches found

Post by geo_jas » 08 July 15 8:46 pm

It's not too hard to scan through your logs and look for moveables

You're looking for an Angel :weepingangel and a car.

http://geocaching.com.au/cache/ga6497
http://geocaching.com.au/cache/ga4946

pjmpjm

Post by pjmpjm » 09 July 15 2:29 am

Richary wrote:
caughtatwork wrote:Nope, we have nothing to help you I'm afraid. As we don't know if you "found" it or "found and took it", we can't help you work out what you do or do not have.
I guess you could possibly do a search on all GCA moveables you have found, and then check the logs to see if you have either moved it after, or the text says you left it in place. Probably easy to work out if you were the last finder with a tool like GSAK.
This is what I was going to suggest. Although cleaning out the garage might be a good idea in itself. :) I know I ought to do that, and not because of lost moveables . . .

Tyreless

Post by Tyreless » 09 July 15 9:42 am

geo_jas wrote:It's not too hard to scan through your logs and look for moveables

You're looking for an Angel :weepingangel and a car.

http://geocaching.com.au/cache/ga6497
http://geocaching.com.au/cache/ga4946
Thanks geo_jas! =D>