Feature Request - Batched Uploads

Discussion about the Geocaching Australia web site
roundcircle
1100 or more caches found

Feature Request - Batched Uploads

Post by roundcircle » 30 May 15 8:34 am

I wonder if we could have the ability to upload a batch of GPX files, say up to 20, have on screen acknowledgement that they have been received, and then have the server processes the files at it's leisure. Once processed have the server send a summary email, with files processed, logs loaded, caches loaded, caches changed, time taken to process and start and stop time.

What do you think :?:

CraigRat
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!
Twitter: CraigRat
Facebook: http://facebook.com/CraigRat

Re: Feature Request - Batched Uploads

Post by CraigRat » 30 May 15 8:37 am

I think that is a brilliant idea.

We have the means to do it too. We have a batch processing system already for the old feed, we could re-purpose that to do this.

I now just need to find a spare weekend to get the new server over to Melbourne and installed...Time is something I just don't have at the moment!

roundcircle

Post by roundcircle » 30 May 15 9:04 am

I'm glad you like the idea. 8) I didn't realize the new server wasn't in yet and can relate too not having the time for these non-essential tasks. I would suggest that processing speed, which I assume is the key thing the new server brings, isn't needed for a batch task. In fact the reason for batching stuff is often that you don't have the processing speed to do the task interactively. But you know know the machine set up and need to manage your time.

I'm glad it's something that you think can be added to the "to do" list and hope you get some time soon. Now that winter is upon us, I'd guess there'll be a few wet weekends on the way.

Cheers. :gnome

Big Matt and Shell
6500 or more caches found
6500 or more caches found
Twitter: BigMattandShell

Post by Big Matt and Shell » 01 June 15 1:29 pm

Sensational idea!