A winter dragonZone game (discussion)

Discussion about the Geocaching Australia web site
caughtatwork

A winter dragonZone game (discussion)

Post by caughtatwork » 04 May 15 4:20 pm

Is any one interesting in a winter dragonZone game? By dragonZone I mean a GCA game. As most GCA caches are eligible for dZ, they would auto qualify. You would have to join a dZ team though, but that's easy.

I'm thinking along the lines of other games we have run in the past where a number of challenges are set*, but we can enhance that with an overall numbers game as well. i.e. You can gain specific points for certain tasks, but you also get all of the standard points of dragonZone. The winner would be decided (probably) on total points earned, broken into ranks, so the newbies have the same sort of chance as those who have played a while.

I have put some thought into this, but not a lot, so if you think this might be interesting and you have an idea or opinion, drop it off in this thread right here. No guarantee everything you suggest will be included as I need to code it all up, but you're feedback into a community game is always welcomed.

*Like these:
http://www.cachinggames.com/rdmh/
http://www.cachinggames.com/fleettofederation/
http://www.cachinggames.com/gz/
http://www.cachinggames.com/gz2012/

ikkibrady

Re: A winter dragonZone game (discussion)

Post by ikkibrady » 05 May 15 9:38 am

I could be pretty keen for a new GCA game to play as they always are fun and it would give me something to do in the winter break. Don't have much GCA to play with in my area though :-(

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 05 May 15 9:47 am

There's not much around me either. I hope the attraction of the game would be to encourage people to head outside their area to get a few GCA caches that may be a bit unloved. It's also as you say, a good thing to do to get out of the house in the middle of winter. You would also be encouraged to hide a few. After all no-one will find if no-one will hide.

spatialriq
5500 or more caches found

Post by spatialriq » 05 May 15 3:27 pm

I'd play. Miss the 'summer' locationless games of yester-year.

oldfella
10000 or more caches found

Post by oldfella » 05 May 15 4:13 pm

I've played in he past. No good hiding out where I live so I drive the 200Klm closer to the Coast and Brisbane and they still sat there for 6 months without a find. A bit pointless as it appears SE Qld not popular for GCA for locals and interstate visitors also seem to be a bit thin on the ground at times. So from my point of view a bit of a waste of my time and money. I do do LOCATIONLESS caches. I would consider hiding GCA closer to the coast and Brisbane if all of a sudden I did see an increase in GCA activity.

tronador
6500 or more caches found
6500 or more caches found

Post by tronador » 05 May 15 6:15 pm

Yep, Id play

2y'stassies

Post by 2y'stassies » 05 May 15 8:36 pm

We'd play but have the same problem as others - have found most GA caches that are not in very hard to get to places in Tassie. Certainly would put out a few more.

Sol de Lune

Post by Sol de Lune » 06 May 15 12:21 pm

I'd be in......enjoying the dragonZone side of things and have also enjoyed placing more GCA caches this year than the other mob because of it..... :cerberus

sharnie's tribe
9500 or more caches found
9500 or more caches found

Post by sharnie's tribe » 06 May 15 1:34 pm

We'd be interested

Zalgariath

Post by Zalgariath » 10 May 15 12:47 pm

I think we just need to all move to the Blue Mountains in Sydney for 2 weeks and gang up on Roger :) .... declare a GCA Nation! Im in.

rogerw3
8000 or more caches found

Post by rogerw3 » 10 May 15 8:54 pm

Zalgariath wrote:I think we just need to all move to the Blue Mountains in Sydney for 2 weeks and gang up on Roger :) .... declare a GCA Nation! Im in.
:D \:D/
The more the merrier, all the GCA caches in the Blue Mountains are there to be found, sadly not as often as one might wish. Come on Zal get going before more are added!

:shock: :twisted:

Sol de Lune

Post by Sol de Lune » 10 May 15 10:40 pm

rogerw3 wrote:
Zalgariath wrote:I think we just need to all move to the Blue Mountains in Sydney for 2 weeks and gang up on Roger :) .... declare a GCA Nation! Im in.
:D \:D/
The more the merrier, all the GCA caches in the Blue Mountains are there to be found, sadly not as often as one might wish. Come on Zal get going before more are added!

:shock: :twisted:
Plan is to come up for the event in late June.....and cross off lots of those GCA caches........ :cerberus :cerberus

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 14 May 15 3:45 pm

Here is what is going on at the moment. All points will be auto allocated by the GCA website, so no manual checking, filling in other data, etc. This means I've kept them all very simple. There's only a few weeks until we launch, so if you have any feedback (or can encourage any G+ or Facebook users) please provide it back here. I don't guarantee I can do anything, but I'm always happy to accept feedback to improve next time.

Points are to be finalised. If you see any bad mistakes, please point those out.

Winter is Coming

1 (requirement number)
Conqueror
It's really quite simple. Attack, attack, attack. Extend your realm and take control of a dragonZone. Joint control works just as well, but do you want to be left vulnerable to a single attack? Take decisive control of your dragonZone ... now!
35 (tentative points)

Battle Master
Assault a geocache and take dragonZone control of it. Joint control works just as well, but beware the backstabbing of your joint controlling clan.

Traditional Grunt
Find and log a Traditional geocache and move the geocache towards your clan control.

Moveable Minion
Find and log a Moveable geocache and move the geocache towards your clan control.

Mystery Marauder
Find and log an Unknown or Mystery geocache and move the geocache towards your clan control.

Multicache Myrmidon
Find and log a Multi-geocache and move the geocache towards your clan control.

TrigPoint Raider
Find and log a TrigPoint and move the geocache towards your clan control.

The Simple Attack
The simplest form of attack. Find and log any dragonZone cache with a difficulty of 1 and a terrain of 1.

Double Attack
The second simplest form of attack but will you succeed? Find and log any dragonZone cache with a difficulty of 2 and a terrain of 2.

Triple Play
Triple your attack goal but going harder and longer. Find and log any dragonZone cache with a difficulty of 3 and a terrain of 3.

Going Forth
Go forth and attack with gusto. Find and log any dragonZone cache with a difficulty of 4 and a terrain of 4.

A Fifth of Force
The ultimate attack goal, but are you worthy of such an attack? Find and log any dragonZone cache with a difficulty of 5 and a terrain of 5.

Love the Unloved
The unloved eocaches are those which have not been logged in at least 6 months. Log a valid find against 6 months unloved to claim your prize.

Locate the Lesser Loved
The lesser loved geocaches haven't been logged as found in at least 12 months. Log a valid find against 12 months unloved to add to your bounty.

Find the Forgotten
A forgotten geocache has not been found and logged in at least 2 years. Log a valid find against 2 years unloved to fill your virtual sack with the rewards due for finding the forgotten.

Nano Nuisance
The nuisance in every true heroes life, the nano geocache can hide anywhere and remain undiscovered for centuries. Find and log a nano geocache to build your ill gotten gains.

The Vile Micro
The micro geocache is reviled by young and old the universe over. While it can be hidden with ease, the find and log can be somewhat more challenging, especially in the urban environment. If you find and log a micro geocache, you will be rewarded with some well deserved points.

The Scourge of the Small
The small geocache has become the most popular of all geocache sizes. Help fight the good fight to stamp out the small geocache. In the meantime find and log a small geocache and you will be justly rewarded.

Rewarding Regular
The regular sized geocache is one the entire army of geocachers can appreciate. Smaller than a large and larger than a small, this geocache can fit into lots of places if you seek hard enough. Find and log a regular cache and your find will be appreciated.

Largesse
The large geocache is the rarest of all sizes and finding one is like finding the holy grail. Remember to choose wisely. Find and log a large geocache and the largesse will be yours.

You Deserve to be Flayed
Hide a nano geocache and have it published during the game to earn a kingly point. You deserve less. Much, much less.

Oh the Humanity
Did you hide a nano geocache? Of course you did, that's why you're also hiding a micro geocache. You are a micro mad hatter. Hide a micro geocache and have it published during the game to earn a kingly point, well, two for the effort of eating the mints out of the tin first. You should get nothing, but the grace of the ruler allows you something as rewarding as a micro.

Small ... really?
Small. Sigh. OK, hide a small geocache and have it published during the game to earn few miserly points. You won't get many, but you deserve something more than a micro. Here, have 3 points.

Everything is Normal
Excellent work. You have hidden a regular sized geocache and had it published during the game. You are to be applauded and will be rewarded.

Going for Gold
The biggest. The best. You are to be rewarded with gold for hiding the largest geocache and having it published during the game. You should laud it over your friends and enemies and you have permission to do so.

1 Week Streak
Can you streak for a week? Find and log a dragonZone geocache for 7 consecutive days for your reward.

2 Week Streak
Fourteen days, that's a long time to be streaking. Find and log a dragonZone geocache for 14 consecutive days and your points will be increased.

3 Week Streak
21, key of the door. It's probably been a long time since you were rewarded with the key to the door. Find and log a dragonZone geocache for 21 consecutive days for additional keys.

4 Week Streak
28 days later and you're now obsessed with strategy to find at least one dragonZone geocache per day. Find and log a dragonZone geocache for 28 consecutive days, then take a break and lie down while we calculate your gains.

CraigRat
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!
Twitter: CraigRat
Facebook: http://facebook.com/CraigRat

Post by CraigRat » 14 May 15 5:46 pm

So, is this an official announcement?

Bring it!

Got some almost ready to deploy:

Richary

Post by Richary » 14 May 15 11:23 pm

Traditional Grunt
Find and log a Traditional geocache and move the geocache towards your clan control.
Badly worded as it sort of implies you need to move the cache. Maybe shift instead of move? Not quite sure how to word this one. Otherwise the concept is good, though not sure if I will be playing.