Queensland Feeds

Discussion about the Geocaching Australia web site
oldfella
10000 or more caches found

Queensland Feeds

Post by oldfella » 27 January 15 10:51 am

Have I missed something re the Qld feeds as I can not remember seeing an update to that feed for at least 5 days now. How often are the state feeds updated every 2, 3 or 4 days. I appreciate the hard work that the Fairies put into the site. Keep up the good work.

CraigRat
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!
Twitter: CraigRat
Facebook: http://facebook.com/CraigRat

Re: Queensland Feeds

Post by CraigRat » 27 January 15 12:17 pm

Hello,

Please refer to this thread:
http://forum.geocaching.com.au/viewtopi ... =1&t=18594

In short, feeds are not updated anymore due to changes at Groundspeak that make updating the feeds a very manual and labour intensive thing to do. We now rely on others uploading their my finds GPXs and whatnot. It seems to be working ok for some regions.

States like QLD where GCA usage is minimal may have issues.

oldfella

Post by oldfella » 27 January 15 1:22 pm

Thankyou. Understand now.

Richary
8000 or more caches found
8000 or more caches found

Post by Richary » 27 January 15 11:12 pm

I make the effort to download all of ACT & NSW every week (well I do anyway for my database and on the phone as work can take me up to 200km with little notice so I like having them already there). I then run a query in GSAK for all logs updated in the last 8-9 days, which generally cuts the number of caches down to 5000 or so. Export that to another database, then purge all logs older than 10 days. It all takes a little bit of time. I can just get it out in 3 caches sorted by date hidden ranges to upload everything for the last week, it will have to go to 4 soon. But hopefully keeps ACT/NSW up to date here, though with caches with a lot of logs like events not all may have been downloaded as I think GC defaults to the last 4 logs in a download unless you download the individual GPS which I do for events I have attended.

Each upload takes about 30 minutes for the GCA servers to process so I often leave the last one running while I go to bed, with the new servers coming hopefully it will be quicker. It's just my bit of trying to help the community, though it would be quicker if I had a newer computer as the purge logs can take a while.

oldfella

Post by oldfella » 28 January 15 6:32 am

I was originally thinking about the latest Qld hides so that the little icons were on the map. I like this feature on GCA. I have my own work around now Thank you for your input.

crew 153
9000 or more caches found
9000 or more caches found

Post by crew 153 » 02 February 15 11:49 am

I try to keep the state feeds going. I import my state PQs for Queensland twice a week on Monday and Thursday nights. All other states and NZ are loaded once a week on various nights. All new caches for all states are loaded twice a week.

This is of course if I am not on holidays or have internet/computer problems. A six week cruise in April/May/June will probably pose a problem.