Some thoughts on GCA...

Discussion about the Geocaching Australia web site
Just a cacher

Re: Some thoughts on GCA...

Post by Just a cacher » 30 January 15 11:10 am

I use the forum. I check in daily. It is getting quiet. I don't really understand much of the rest of the site, but I do try, every now and then.

Laighside Legends
10000 or more caches found

Post by Laighside Legends » 31 January 15 11:01 am

Geocaching as a whole is growing but GCA isn't. I wonder if the reason for this is as CR suggested, the people who go caching now are "a bit broader in abilities". Which makes me think that perhaps the GCA site should change a little to appeal to the changing audience...

CraigRat
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!
Twitter: CraigRat
Facebook: http://facebook.com/CraigRat

Post by CraigRat » 31 January 15 11:13 am

gmj3191 wrote:It would be sad if c@w and CraigRat put in a lot of time to improve the operation of the site, and new hardware was purchased, and things continued to decline.

Perhaps it might be just time to say that GCA filled a void at a time when it was needed, but things have moved on and it's an opportunity to phase out and do something else, before it becomes a millstone around your necks.
They say it's always best to go out while you're on top and in control.
As long as there's a single cacher out there who wants to geocache their way, or as long as there are people who believe one site should not control and sell what is in essence community provided data, then we will be here.

We are not in it to be number 1, never have been. Market share isn't something we care about. We are here to offer geocaching in a manner that is not tempered by commercial influences, free of charge.

Are we Idealistic? yes, misguided? most probably. But it's something we believe in. We have an agenda, and this is our platform. Some get it, most don't care.

We have caches, find them or don't, that's fine with us.
Laighside Legends wrote:Geocaching as a whole is growing but GCA isn't. I wonder if the reason for this is as CR suggested, the people who go caching now are "a bit broader in abilities". Which makes me think that perhaps the GCA site should change a little to appeal to the changing audience...
How?

People are saying these kinds of statements with basically zero ideas.

It's not c@ws and my site. It is EVERYONES.

Suggestions are welcome, but PLEASE have some meat in the comments.
HOW do we appeal to a new audience?
HOW would you like the site to look?
HOW can we improve navigation?

As for the forums dying, yes they are, and will continue to.
Forums EVERYWHERE are pretty much dead. This is the only forum I log in to nowadays. Fact of life, fact of the internet.

Laighside Legends

Post by Laighside Legends » 31 January 15 2:23 pm

Below is a screenshot of the home page with some notes on it. It is just my thoughts and guesses - it may be quite wrong. Tell me if you agree/disagree with it...

Search part idea:

CraigRat
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!
Twitter: CraigRat
Facebook: http://facebook.com/CraigRat

Post by CraigRat » 31 January 15 5:45 pm

Great feedback there. Some good suggestions!

the Monkey King
50 or more caches found
50 or more caches found
Twitter: The Monkey King @Au

Post by the Monkey King » 01 February 15 8:17 am

I love GCA as it allows for all kinds of caching. The thing I love the most is the cache map using google earth, as it not only shows GCA caches, but GC caches.

I visit the map a lot, especially when planning to go caching, or if I am going somewhere with the Mrs and I want to know if there is a cache nearby that I can find.

Forums are funny things - the majority are lurkers, with only a handful making regular posts. This is the same for the forums for my other hobbies too. You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink as they say.

I may not post in the forum a lot, but I always try to promote GCA when I get the chance - I even did so via the 'Oh Beep!' pod cast, and Mark from 'Oh Beep!' found one of my location less caches from the UK.

The majority of my hides have been placed with GCA - I just wish more people would find them... one reason I like to promote GCA.

I like what Laighside Legends has suggested re the "search part idea" on the main page, but I would like to see the googlemap button there, for reasons mentioned above.

oldfella

Post by oldfella » 01 February 15 8:28 am

Back in 2007 when I first stumbled upon geocaching via a web search GCA was my first option. I joined and thought I have to try this. I have been a very regular user of GCA and everyday when I turn on the PC the GCA site is my first stop. I use the QLD dashboard first then I visit the forums. When travelling interstate I use the dashboard for that state as my starting point for what caches I would like to attempt. I use a lot of the features and use the shop. I use the site everyday, as mentioned, and do not have a problem with anything on the site. I actively encourage newbies to join GCA but the other site is also picking up its game as one can see from their new trial feature. Those reading this are already GCA converts.

mtrax

Post by mtrax » 01 February 15 12:14 pm

one idea that would set GCA aside from the GC site could be Events.
I have been tossing the idea of some sort of event type cache which could facilitate group finds
ie if you are a "lone" cacher wanting to look for a buddy for a hour or a day, you could publish an event along with a few target geocaches.
like a Meet-up a cache style this would promote more of the social side of caching etc..

wombatatcrows

Post by wombatatcrows » 02 February 15 7:29 am

Thank you Monkey King I now have a word that describes my GCA usage, that is "LURKER". I visit this forum at least once a day to see whats happening and to learn from other peoples experiences. I don't post very much because unless I think there is something positive or useful that I can contribute I keep my mouth shut.

I am really pleased to hear that CR and C@W (et al ?) are planning to keep up the great work and service that they provide.

Thanks guys your continuing efforts it is really VERY MUCH APPRECIATED =D> =D> =D> not just by me but I am certain by a large majority of "lurkers" as well :D

Just a cacher

Post by Just a cacher » 02 February 15 8:42 am

What Wombatatcrows said....

jusojara
3000 or more caches found
3000 or more caches found

Post by jusojara » 02 February 15 9:29 am

+1 for Lurkers \:D/

Agent Basil
2500 or more caches found
2500 or more caches found

Post by Agent Basil » 02 February 15 10:50 am

Lurkers Rule ! (as he slinks off back under the desk)

the Monkey King
50 or more caches found
50 or more caches found
Twitter: The Monkey King @Au

Post by the Monkey King » 02 February 15 11:23 am

Had I know using the term 'lurker' would have attracted a few comments, I would have used it earlier :lol:

Griffins rule! :griffin

Tyreless
800 or more hollow logs searched
800 or more hollow logs searched

Post by Tyreless » 02 February 15 11:26 am

Lurkers unite (behind C@W and CR)!

Bewilderbeest
2000 or more caches found
2000 or more caches found

Post by Bewilderbeest » 02 February 15 3:11 pm

CraigRat wrote:Great feedback there. Some good suggestions!
Yes, but -1 on the post code search. Post codes aren't a geographic classification. Not all postcodes apply to to a geographic area, and not all geographic areas have a post code.