'Placing' a trig point - what's the protocol?

Discussion about the Geocaching Australia web site
EuDes
9500 or more caches found

'Placing' a trig point - what's the protocol?

Post by EuDes » 10 June 14 12:37 pm

I found a trig point on the weekend that isn't listed on the GCA site. It's the circle on top of the four legs type with the survey marker underneath. It's in a national park with easy access, albeit a reasonable walk to it (I'd rate it about 3 star terrain) and sits right next to a lookout with absolutely no need to trample any vegetation to get to it.

I want to post it on the site as a potential find for people but was wondering what the protocol is for doing so. Do I post it as 'hidden by Geocaching Australia' and claim it as a find (and please, please, please, please (etc), I'm not interested in the FTF. After all once it's posted, someone might go through their bushwalk photos and log a find because they photographed themselves at the trig some time ago and that's perfectly fine with me)? Or do I post it as 'hidden by EuDes'? If the latter, is it kosher to log a find?

Advice gratefully accepted. :D

caughtatwork

Re: 'Placing' a trig point - what's the protocol?

Post by caughtatwork » 10 June 14 1:12 pm

TrigPoints will always be formally owned by Geocaching Australia. If you add your name to the "Hidden By" field, it will appear to be your listing, but is actually owned by Geocaching Australia. Done this way to ensure anyone in the community can amend / update / archive / unarchive the listing. i.e. It becomes a community asset.

You are welcome to post the new TrigPoint. As soon as you "save" the TrigPoint it will be autopublished. Make sure you list it as a TrigPoint to start with as you can't change a "traditional" to a "TrigPoint" if you bugger it up. Set the terrain and difficulty as you see appropriate for the listing.

You are more than welcome to claim a find on the listing once you have made it.

EuDes

Re: 'Placing' a trig point - what's the protocol?

Post by EuDes » 10 June 14 2:21 pm

Many thanks. \:D/ I'll put 'Geocaching Australia' in the hidden by slot and then claim the find. You won't see FTF in my find log though unless it's to say that I'm not claiming it. :wink:

Watch this space! (or the 'other' space :wink: )