Map co-ordinates

Discussion about the Geocaching Australia web site
Riddeller
1100 or more caches found

Map co-ordinates

Post by Riddeller » 22 November 13 9:17 pm

The co-ordinates that normally appear at the bottom right hand corner on the maps is missing.
Have they been removed?

caughtatwork

Re: Map co-ordinates

Post by caughtatwork » 22 November 13 9:35 pm

Temporarily. Google updated their MAPS API and the functions we were calling are no longer available. I need to do some research to find out what I can do to replicate the functions.

Riddeller

Post by Riddeller » 22 November 13 11:30 pm

Thanks...
It was a very handy feature to have.

pjmpjm
6000 or more caches found
Twitter: Booroobin

Re: GCA Maps & Coordinates

Post by pjmpjm » 25 November 13 10:11 pm

caughtatwork wrote:Temporarily. Google updated their MAPS API and the functions we were calling are no longer available. I need to do some research to find out what I can do to replicate the functions.
This will be much appreciated . . . by me and many others. I really value those coordinates on the GCA maps.

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 25 November 13 10:23 pm

I'm slowly getting there. I have zones and the basic maps working. Can't get the raider to work for love nor money. I might have to dump this one for now. DragZoom is causing me grief too. I've spent about 12 hours on this mess so far and I expect (hopefully) to have it done before the end of the week. I had no idea the co-ords function was so used. I have the code, I need to integrate it.

pjmpjm

GCA Map Co-ords Function

Post by pjmpjm » 26 November 13 1:50 pm

caughtatwork wrote:I'm slowly getting there. I have zones and the basic maps working. Can't get the raider to work for love nor money. I might have to dump this one for now. DragZoom is causing me grief too. I've spent about 12 hours on this mess so far and I expect (hopefully) to have it done before the end of the week. I had no idea the co-ords function was so used. I have the code, I need to integrate it.
Thanks very, very much. =D> I've used the GCA map and its co-ords function nearly daily for years now, and always tell fellow geocachers that it's the best bet for both GC and GCA caching. Extremely handy indeed. But I don't underestimate the amount of work it takes to renovate these software functions. Know that it will be much appreciated if it can be made to work again.

Big Matt and Shell
6500 or more caches found
Twitter: BigMattandShell

Post by Big Matt and Shell » 27 November 13 3:47 pm

I must say I haven't used them before. I'd be interested to know what people are using these coordinates for? Apart from creating dummy coords for a cache I can't see where I would use them, especially daily.

canary
8000 or more caches found
8000 or more caches found

Post by canary » 27 November 13 4:23 pm

Big Matt and Shell wrote:I must say I haven't used them before. I'd be interested to know what people are using these coordinates for? Apart from creating dummy coords for a cache I can't see where I would use them, especially daily.
On trips out in to the bush, particularly behind Lithgow, where there is a lot of fire trail driving and a maze of tracks, I use it to mark intersections as waypoints to turn or continue at.

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 27 November 13 5:06 pm

I'm getting closer.

There is a problem in the maps API for lineweight on a polyline. We use polylines for the route functionality. I spend 4 hours last night working through why my code wasn't working only to find an obscure post about line weight being restricted to 32 pixels, regardless of how big I say to make it. This is NOT in the document API, so I assumed I was wrong. Apparently, large lineweights in the polyline causes map alignment issues, is a known bug, hasn't been fixed for years (in the v3 API) and probably will never be :-( Why don't they document that sort of stuff.

This means on the polyline, the grey around the route will now only be indicative rather than representative. Damn. Anyway, still quite a few functions and hours to go, but I hope to have it up before the weekend.

Big Matt and Shell
Twitter: BigMattandShell

Post by Big Matt and Shell » 28 November 13 12:54 pm

canary wrote:
Big Matt and Shell wrote:I must say I haven't used them before. I'd be interested to know what people are using these coordinates for? Apart from creating dummy coords for a cache I can't see where I would use them, especially daily.
On trips out in to the bush, particularly behind Lithgow, where there is a lot of fire trail driving and a maze of tracks, I use it to mark intersections as waypoints to turn or continue at.
Good idea, I'll have to give that a try. In the past I have printed a dump of the map.

Hoojar
5000 or more caches found
5000 or more caches found

Post by Hoojar » 28 November 13 3:31 pm

I don't think I have used the function for geocaching, but if I am going hiking into an unknown area I will often use it to grab some co-ordinates for a WP in the GPSr. I used it to get co-ordinates for all of the huts in Kozi NP. Handy if caught in nasty weather!

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 28 November 13 8:21 pm

The Maps are now up to v3 of the API.
The details are here:
http://forum.geocaching.com.au/viewtopi ... 55#p208355

pjmpjm

Re: GCA Map Co-ordinates Working

Post by pjmpjm » 28 November 13 9:53 pm

caughtatwork wrote:The Maps are now up to v3 of the API. The details are here: http://forum.geocaching.com.au/viewtopi ... 55#p208355
Thanks very much! =D> =D> =D>