GCA Cache Loot

Discussion about the Geocaching Australia web site
fluffyfish
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!

GCA Cache Loot

Post by fluffyfish » 08 June 13 3:23 pm

I need some loot in my series of large GCA caches for Perth. Since they won't get many visitors and those that find probably aren't interested in the contents (apart from signing the log), I'm struggling what to put in a cache except for a log book.

I'm planning to get some pathtags from the GCA shop but they won't quite fill a 1 litre container. I'm not much for the plastic pap from Macca's either.

Don't want to spend a fortune either 8)

Advice?

Just a cacher

Re: GCA Cache Loot

Post by Just a cacher » 08 June 13 6:14 pm

It's not easy, is it? I have a container and I collect suitable items as I come across them. I'd be happy to give you some, but you are a bit far away.
Marbles are good, and some kids love farm animals. You can usually find a bag full of either of these in a cheap shop.
Sometimes those things people give away, such as biros, textas, squeezy stress balls, etc., are good.
I reckon pens, erasers, pencils, bandaids, plastic bags and the other usual things one might need whilst caching are pretty good, too.

Or you go and find some actual nice loot, such as a small radio in box, and stuff like that, and make sure people know about it and trade up.

Papa Bear_Left
800 or more hollow logs searched
800 or more hollow logs searched

Post by Papa Bear_Left » 09 June 13 1:15 am

If you have the time, have a browse through somewhere like dx.com for cheap but tempting bits and pieces. For a dollar or two, you can find all sorts of gizmos and connectors and novelty items that aren't available in everyone's local Red Dot, and the postage is free. It can take a few weeks to arrive, though, hence the need for planning.

Oh, and 1l is probably a Small, just possibly a Regular, but never a Large!

belken

Post by belken » 09 June 13 12:16 pm

We collect stuff from Bunnings, and the $2 shops. When you walk th eaisles in Bunnings look at the clip strips. One of the rules within bunnings is that they must be less than $10.(except the toolshop). Then look at what can be split. Ie we bought a 3 piece tool set(Sidecutters, Long nose pliers and Screwdriver) for about $7. Split the set into the three items.

Any $2 shop is worth a quick visit. Again multiple set items. We even keep an eye in the big shops for those items that when split work out to about 1 or 2 dollars. We have collected a large container of items we keep out the back.

Just for your info we are planning on heading up to our GCA caches in the Wandoo Conservation zone which have been sitting idle now for over 3 years.

fluffyfish
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!

Post by fluffyfish » 10 June 13 8:44 pm

Well corrected Ian. These will be a small Regular :-"

Aushiker
350 ? I am the lizard queen
350 ? I am the lizard queen
Twitter: Aushiker

Post by Aushiker » 11 June 13 6:00 pm

Another source is Catch of the Day. I just keep an eye out for the bargains which often include free postage.

Andrew

Dik:
500 or more caches logged
500 or more caches logged

Post by Dik: » 12 June 13 2:39 pm

When I wanted to create a real "treasure chest" I visited the local Red Cross op shop and not only picked up some costume jewelery, silk scaves, bud vases, napkin rings and other nik naks, I also found a large cache container there too!.
I supplemented it with some items from CAC, glass pebbles, candles and then threw in a couple of $ of copper coins I had in a jar.