Bingo - The moving cache race for 2012/2013

Discussion about the Geocaching Australia web site
WanderingAus
5000 or more caches found

Re: Bingo - The moving cache race for 2012/2013

Post by WanderingAus » 07 December 12 12:55 pm

s_mc500 wrote:I actually have to find my own caches, both are numbers I need... hmmm one is 17km away and the other is 47km.
I keep dropping movers close to me, and they get picked up and taken away WI THOUT REPLACEMENT. :oops: ](*,)

The closest Bingo racers to me are now 13.16 Km away. Not much change from the frog race last year. ](*,) :stabby

covert
150 or more caches found
150 or more caches found

Post by covert » 07 December 12 1:01 pm

WanderingAus wrote:I keep dropping movers close to me, and they get picked up and taken away WI THOUT REPLACEMENT. :oops: ](*,)
I have been picking up and moving caches without consideration for replacement. Is that something in the guidelines I missed or something you made up ?

Cheesy pigs
3000 or more caches found
3000 or more caches found

Post by Cheesy pigs » 07 December 12 1:05 pm

With the 1km guideline this year it will be harder to replace at times. Last year I leapfrogged caches along a trail, can't do that this year

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 07 December 12 1:08 pm

s_mc500 wrote:
caughtatwork wrote:
s_mc500 wrote:c@h has a full card and the others aren't far off :shock:

I've manged to get one number :-k
I have heaps of caches, but haven't had time to place them. Where would you like me to drop them this evening?
Anywhere around Altona works well for me 8)
Will do. After dinner. Watch out for your Alert emails for being published around you.

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 07 December 12 1:10 pm

covert wrote:
WanderingAus wrote:I keep dropping movers close to me, and they get picked up and taken away WI THOUT REPLACEMENT. :oops: ](*,)
I have been picking up and moving caches without consideration for replacement. Is that something in the guidelines I missed or something you made up ?
There is nothing about finding / hiding as replacements. Pick it up. Move it as short or far as you want. Points only for 1km or greater. Leave a replacement or not. It is up to you.

s_mc500
150 or more caches found
150 or more caches found

Post by s_mc500 » 07 December 12 1:35 pm

Replacements are good if the site is suitable, sometimes you arrive to pick one up and it has gone but you get another one anyway. I try and drop caches in spots where I would like to pick others up from, sometimes a bit of an exchange thing gets going.

Krazy K Krew

Post by Krazy K Krew » 07 December 12 2:05 pm

Hi all, I'm Karl Hughes aka Krazy K
I have caused a little bit of controversy on a Facebook forum with a bingo cache Ga5377
It's is a truck tyre from work it fits in a car boot and maybe a little heavy. My intent was a bit of fun something different or Krazy if you wish, it was only ment to last the 2months of the game then I was going to retrieve where ever it may be and despose of correctly.
Now the littering issue has arisen giving me a lot of concern and stress (I have not slept all night) I never wanted to cause anybody any grief whatsoever.
What I need is some suggestions from some more experience cachers than myself, otherwise I am going to pick up this cache, archive and despose of properly.
Thanks for your time Stressed Out K

WanderingAus

Post by WanderingAus » 07 December 12 2:10 pm

Krazy K Krew wrote:Hi all, I'm Karl Hughes aka Krazy K
I have caused a little bit of controversy on a Facebook forum with a bingo cache Ga5377
It's is a truck tyre from work it fits in a car boot and maybe a little heavy. My intent was a bit of fun something different or Krazy if you wish, it was only ment to last the 2months of the game then I was going to retrieve where ever it may be and despose of correctly.
Now the littering issue has arisen giving me a lot of concern and stress (I have not slept all night) I never wanted to cause anybody any grief whatsoever.
What I need is some suggestions from some more experience cachers than myself, otherwise I am going to pick up this cache, archive and despose of properly.
Take a photo, put it in a document with the cache name and GA code (and QR code if you like), and change the size to micro, then dispose of the tyre thoughtfully. Many of mine are around 10cm x 10cm with magnet sheet attached, but it wasn't my idea - I think FelixII did it first.

WanderingAus

Post by WanderingAus » 07 December 12 2:16 pm

covert wrote:
No, it's just consideration for other cachers. I dropped out of the frog race last year because by the time I drove for at least an hour to get to a frog it was always gone. I noticed a cacher dropped 24 to a relative in one hit today, very nice, but some of them came from me.

I'm now dropping out of the Bingo race for the same reason, too many more important things to do.

If you're after numbers ask C@W what numbers I have which I haven't published, and he can transfer any you need. I've written the pages, but most of them haven't gone past 'temp' and none have been printed, and I'm not prepared to waste any more time providing a list.

WanderingAus

Post by WanderingAus » 07 December 12 2:17 pm

s_mc500 wrote:Replacements are good if the site is suitable, sometimes you arrive to pick one up and it has gone but you get another one anyway. I try and drop caches in spots where I would like to pick others up from, sometimes a bit of an exchange thing gets going.
Not in WA sadly.

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 07 December 12 2:48 pm

From one of the logs:
So, how do you rehide something like this without feeling like you're littering? Easy, private property and place with property owner's permission.

That's what I would do too.
It doesn't have to be seen as litter.
Let the FB people have their whinge and rant.
It's YOUR cache, YOU choose what to do.

Tuena
6500 or more caches found

Post by Tuena » 07 December 12 3:08 pm

Don't worry ..... Perhaps replace it with a smaller tyre such as a motor bike or mini minor (showing my age). All caches could be considered litter it's just that they are hidden from view.

I've hidden a bucket which initially was the household variety but then decided to change it to a smaller version eg sand bucket size. Still performs the function & much easier to hide. I wouldn't pay any heed to posts on Facebook.

Very few cachers would have considered what they would do with their caches at the end of the game so you're way ahead in environmental responsibility.

nutwood

Post by nutwood » 07 December 12 4:16 pm

The question of when is a cache litter seems quite an interesting one. We considered this question when launching several of our caches, one of which is an old tri-cycle we collected from a rubbish chuck-out pile. We originally intended to spruce it up a bit with some new paint and the such like, however we realised the dilapidated state was the perfect camouflage and would make it much easier to hide. I initially hid it on the side of a highway, looking like it had just been discarded. It wasn't obvious but it could be seen if anyone looked. Basically, I disguised it as rubbish. Was that littering? Would it have been littering if it had a bright new coat of paint and was on the side of the road? I'd suggest that in neither case is it littering because it has not been abandoned. There is an identification number, there's a web site where details of ownership can be found. I don't think the actual value or condition is a question, ownership is the question.
If it were otherwise, you could find someone's wallet in the street and keep it on the basis you were preventing all those messy paper notes blowing about! Obviously other factors would come into play with larger items which are affecting other people's enjoyment or usage of an area. I've got a concern like that with another cache. This one takes two people to lift it, and then with difficulty. It can only be shifted on a trailer or large ute. I have to depend on the "hiders" not to place it somewhere silly. My fall-back plan is to monitor where it's shifted to and, if necessary, effect a rescue. It's a calculated risk for two months. It doesn't move much for a Tasmanian cache, although it'd be positively lively in some States!
As long as your tyre is "owned" and is sensibly hidden I can't see you have anything to worry about.

Chwiliwr
10000 or more caches found
10000 or more caches found

Post by Chwiliwr » 07 December 12 5:22 pm

WanderingAus wrote:
No, it's just consideration for other cachers. I dropped out of the frog race last year because by the time I drove for at least an hour to get to a frog it was always gone. I noticed a cacher dropped 24 to a relative in one hit today, very nice, but some of them came from me.
Why is that any different than publishing caches by arrangement and then the next day dropping other caches by arrangement. In both cases I had started to go for them before being advised that they had already been picked up.

tronador

Post by tronador » 07 December 12 5:32 pm

Well I love the tyre idea.What a hoot that would be trying to cart that off,almos good as the wheelchair.