Bingo - The moving cache race for 2012/2013

Discussion about the Geocaching Australia web site
blossom*
3000 or more caches found

Re: Bingo - The moving cache race for 2012/2013

Post by blossom* » 04 November 12 9:19 pm

Bronnie_1990 wrote:Transport related you say?

Oh dear. I was planning on making a cache on GC, but looks like i'll get to test it out on GCA!
It'll be more funny as a moveable anyway.

Oh no i've said too much. :oops:
Bronnie, ALL your caches are funny (usually in a weird sort of way!) :mrgreen:

blossom*

Post by blossom* » 04 November 12 9:31 pm

c@w, I have 6 caches entered into the game now. I know I only get 5 bingo cards but my latest addition (GA4765) isn't appearing on the ladder matrix of caches so people don't realise it's available for their #65 find. (But it is on the list down the bottom against my name so that bit's ok)

Is it possible to add 6th and more cache IDs to the matrix at the top? Or is it only possible to have these as caches that were used to generate a bingo card? Just seems a shame not to have it showing just becasue I've reached my "new card" limit.

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 04 November 12 9:57 pm

blossom* wrote:c@w, I have 6 caches entered into the game now. I know I only get 5 bingo cards but my latest addition (GA4765) isn't appearing on the ladder matrix of caches so people don't realise it's available for their #65 find. (But it is on the list down the bottom against my name so that bit's ok)

Is it possible to add 6th and more cache IDs to the matrix at the top? Or is it only possible to have these as caches that were used to generate a bingo card? Just seems a shame not to have it showing just becasue I've reached my "new card" limit.
It is indeed fair and is what was supposed to happen. I have no idea why I grabbed only the card values. It should have been every cache entered in the game. Midnight madness? I have fixed that now. Thanks for letting me know.

toy hunters
5000 or more caches found
5000 or more caches found

Post by toy hunters » 05 November 12 7:56 am

It appears that some people with more than one card have the same number written on different cards that they also own. Does that mean that if you find one cache with the required number, it only crosses off one number of the few numbers?

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 05 November 12 8:03 am

toy hunters wrote:It appears that some people with more than one card have the same number written on different cards that they also own. Does that mean that if you find one cache with the required number, it only crosses off one number of the few numbers?
caughtatwork wrote:
blossom* wrote:Will logging a particular cache show up as found on all the cards we have that contain that number?
If you meet the "move by 1km or greater" rule, then yes, one cache will tick off all of the matching numbers on all of your cards. Same as if you are playing multiple cards in real life bingo.

quiet1_au
5500 or more caches found

Post by quiet1_au » 05 November 12 9:28 pm

(Pre-)Published my first (an main/bulk) set of caches that still need padding out their descriptions, etc. I notice that there is quite a lot of overlap for the range of numbers (80s) and yet still many empty squares. Just wondering - if come race day there are missing numbers, what happens if some/many/all of us can't possibly complete a card because the caches just don't exist?

:-$

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 05 November 12 9:38 pm

quiet1_au wrote:(Pre-)Published my first (an main/bulk) set of caches that still need padding out their descriptions, etc. I notice that there is quite a lot of overlap for the range of numbers (80s) and yet still many empty squares. Just wondering - if come race day there are missing numbers, what happens if some/many/all of us can't possibly complete a card because the caches just don't exist?

:-$
That's a problem for me to solve. If there are card numbers that do not have caches (but I'm really hoping people will come out of the woodwork in the next couple of weeks), then I'll adjust the card numbers. If we don't get "enough" caches, then it's a good idea that didn't work and we'll revert to the same style game as last year. The software does both at the moment ... just in case.

tronador
6500 or more caches found

Post by tronador » 05 November 12 9:57 pm

I'll be out of the woodwork soon. For those of us who are creatively challenged this is so much harder than getting a gnome or a frog. ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) :?

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 05 November 12 10:01 pm

tronador wrote:I'll be out of the woodwork soon. For those of us who are creatively challenged this is so much harder than getting a gnome or a frog. ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) :?
Agree. GabGab and I spent about 2 or 3 hours last weekend making a rocket ship from PVC pipe, traffic cones and plywood. She had a great time with the gluing, the jig sawing, the hacksawing, filing, sanding, the drilling and screwing and nut and bolting everything together. Not sure we've had a father daughter time with so much fun. I reckon this is the 2nd best cache container I have ever made. I have no doubt if it gets found by anyone with kids it will be tough to let go.

spatialriq

Post by spatialriq » 05 November 12 10:30 pm

I'm planning on getting 5 caches ready and deployed on the 1st Dec, so that's another 5 numbers that will be available. Just haven't had the time to get them made up .... or drafted. Should have at least 1 done this week. Getting excited \:D/

blossom*

Post by blossom* » 06 November 12 8:16 am

I think this year is by far the easiest to find appropriate (or inapparopriate) items for the caches \:D/ Not being at all good at construction, I visited the local $2 shop on the weekend and came home with 13 caches for me and strike-a-light to start with. There are plenty of cheap cars of course and they often come in packs of 6 or 12 :wink: But once you start wandering the aisles, it's amazing how many things can be stretched into a Transport item in some way!! Geez, even a used train ticket might do when attached to a bison tube! :roll:

I haven't even started on the trains, planes or boats yet. Maybe I can get 100 all by myself and then I can chase around after my own caches for the summer :lol:

tronador

Post by tronador » 06 November 12 12:55 pm

One request please...... lets not flood the environment with hundreds of cheap and nasty " caches". Isn't one well constructed cache worth a lot more than a lot of little plastic toys???? I found this happened last year with a flood of frogs. The gnomes were much better. Big , with character.

blossom*

Post by blossom* » 06 November 12 1:24 pm

tronador wrote:One request please...... lets not flood the environment with hundreds of cheap and nasty " caches". Isn't one well constructed cache worth a lot more than a lot of little plastic toys???? I found this happened last year with a flood of frogs. The gnomes were much better. Big , with character.
I would agree that we want nice, quality caches rather than a lot of junk normally. However, for the summer games, the fun of it is that there's stacks of moveables all over the place so we can chase around heaps and move lots of them everywhere \:D/ So the more there are, the more fun it becomes:P For a moveable, the quality of the hide is not relevant during the game in most circumstances. (after the game is over, it's a bit different of course) For me, the main point of the game is to play and I'm quite happy for this period of time, for the caches to be cheap and quick.

I did spend a fair bit of time on my gnomes but they all got lost. The frogs didn't cost me too much and were quick to set up so it didn't matter as much when they disappeared. I won't send something out that cost me a lot in either time or money as it's not got a good chance of survival since others choose the hiding spot.

But I do appreciate others might see the game differently

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 06 November 12 1:37 pm

This cost us around $40.00 to make for the game, so it wasn't cheap. Probably one of the more expensive caches we've put out. Not to say that everyone or anyone should be as crazy and GabGab and I, but finding cool stuff is ... cool.

blossom*

Post by blossom* » 06 November 12 1:58 pm

caughtatwork wrote:This cost us around $40.00 to make for the game, so it wasn't cheap. Probably one of the more expensive caches we've put out. Not to say that everyone or anyone should be as crazy and GabGab and I, but finding cool stuff is ... cool.
Now that is SOME rocket! You should have GabGab standing next to it, it looks to be about that tall!! Have you etsted it yet to see if it will get as far as the moon all on it's own? =D>