Bingo - The moving cache race for 2012/2013

Discussion about the Geocaching Australia web site
Zalgariath
5500 or more caches found

Re: Bingo - The moving cache race for 2012/2013

Post by Zalgariath » 06 November 12 8:30 pm

Hmmmm... :-k

Zhaoy and I go to NZ on Dec 2nd... so I guess the plan is to find every cache in Sydney at midnight on the 1st... and give them all a very long holiday so no one else can get the numbers! :twisted:

Mu-hahahahahahahahaha!!!!!

blossom*
3000 or more caches found

Post by blossom* » 06 November 12 9:41 pm

Zalgariath wrote:Hmmmm... :-k

Zhaoy and I go to NZ on Dec 2nd... so I guess the plan is to find every cache in Sydney at midnight on the 1st... and give them all a very long holiday so no one else can get the numbers! :twisted:

Strike-a-light and I go to NZ on Jan 3rd so we'll bring them all back!!! :lol:

Laighside Legends
10000 or more caches found
10000 or more caches found

Post by Laighside Legends » 06 November 12 9:50 pm

Good luck getting mine on the plane... :D :-"

nutwood

Post by nutwood » 07 November 12 7:28 am

caughtatwork wrote:
quiet1_au wrote:(Pre-)Published my first (an main/bulk) set of caches that still need padding out their descriptions, etc. I notice that there is quite a lot of overlap for the range of numbers (80s) and yet still many empty squares. Just wondering - if come race day there are missing numbers, what happens if some/many/all of us can't possibly complete a card because the caches just don't exist?

:-$
That's a problem for me to solve. If there are card numbers that do not have caches (but I'm really hoping people will come out of the woodwork in the next couple of weeks), then I'll adjust the card numbers. If we don't get "enough" caches, then it's a good idea that didn't work and we'll revert to the same style game as last year. The software does both at the moment ... just in case.
Even if it's not possible to fill a card, due to the number not being available, the fun remains of finding and moving the caches, regardless of whether they are on your card or not. I note the hops and distance ladder is still there so it really is the same as last year, with the Bingo cards as a bonus.

s_mc500
150 or more caches found
150 or more caches found

Post by s_mc500 » 07 November 12 7:53 am

I thought it was agreed that these movables must remain in Aus.

Zalgariath

Post by Zalgariath » 07 November 12 10:40 pm

s_mc500 wrote:

I thought it was agreed that these movables must remain in Aus.
Oh dont worry I wouldnt do that really. At the very worst I would move them over and Zhaoy would move them back ;)

quiet1_au

Post by quiet1_au » 09 November 12 6:37 am

nutwood wrote:
caughtatwork wrote:
quiet1_au wrote:(Pre-)Published my first (an main/bulk) set of caches that still need padding out their descriptions, etc. I notice that there is quite a lot of overlap for the range of numbers (80s) and yet still many empty squares. Just wondering - if come race day there are missing numbers, what happens if some/many/all of us can't possibly complete a card because the caches just don't exist?

That's a problem for me to solve. If there are card numbers that do not have caches (but I'm really hoping people will come out of the woodwork in the next couple of weeks), then I'll adjust the card numbers. If we don't get "enough" caches, then it's a good idea that didn't work and we'll revert to the same style game as last year. The software does both at the moment ... just in case.
Even if it's not possible to fill a card, due to the number not being available, the fun remains of finding and moving the caches, regardless of whether they are on your card or not. I note the hops and distance ladder is still there so it really is the same as last year, with the Bingo cards as a bonus.
Me too nutwood. As for lack of caches - it's looking like that shouldn't be a problem as there are fewer empty spots than when I pondered the potential problem. I still have a number yet to publish that I will attempt to gap-fill if possible... If not, a simple number shuffle should do the trick as C@W says :-) It's looking good!

SeabreezeOZ
200 or more found
200 or more found

Post by SeabreezeOZ » 09 November 12 12:28 pm

Im on the 'Bingo' 'Create a cache' page and its asking for a cache ID, where do i get that from?

blossom*

Post by blossom* » 09 November 12 12:37 pm

SeabreezeOZ wrote:Im on the 'Bingo' 'Create a cache' page and its asking for a cache ID, where do i get that from?
You need to create the cache in GCA. You only need it to be a "Draft" one initially. Make sure you put the "hidden date" as 1/Dec/12 and make it a Moveable type. Once you save it, you will get the GAxxxx number. You can fix the listing up as time permits and then publich it with a date of 1/12/12 ready for the game to begin

That's the number you use in the BINGO game to "create cache". Just enter the number and that's all that's needed.

Make sure you put a "public tag" of "bingo" on the cache listing in GCA.

SeabreezeOZ
200 or more found
200 or more found

Post by SeabreezeOZ » 09 November 12 1:06 pm

blossom* wrote:
SeabreezeOZ wrote:Im on the 'Bingo' 'Create a cache' page and its asking for a cache ID, where do i get that from?
You need to create the cache in GCA. You only need it to be a "Draft" one initially. Make sure you put the "hidden date" as 1/Dec/12 and make it a Moveable type. Once you save it, you will get the GAxxxx number. You can fix the listing up as time permits and then publich it with a date of 1/12/12 ready for the game to begin

That's the number you use in the BINGO game to "create cache". Just enter the number and that's all that's needed.

Ive entered the GA number on the Bingo, create a cache page, found my bingo card, so how do i get an image of my card? thanks for help

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 09 November 12 2:10 pm

SeabreezeOZ wrote:
blossom* wrote:

Ive entered the GA number on the Bingo, create a cache page, found my bingo card, so how do i get an image of my card? thanks for help
Print the page?
Copy and paste?

blossom*

Post by blossom* » 09 November 12 6:35 pm

caughtatwork wrote:
SeabreezeOZ wrote:Ive entered the GA number on the Bingo, create a cache page, found my bingo card, so how do i get an image of my card? thanks for help
Print the page?
Copy and paste?
I did a copy and pasted into excel which was handy to summarise all 5 cards I have. Must be a very good randomising program as there were very few numbers I wouldn't have to chase during the game!

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 09 November 12 9:16 pm

http://php.net/manual/en/function.shuffle.php
It's got a few flaws, but nothing we're ever going to notice.

fluffyfish
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!

Post by fluffyfish » 09 November 12 10:44 pm

I am a bit confused by the theme for containers. Guessing gnomes and frogs were pretty straight forward. So it is anything transport related? Anything? :-k

fluffyfish
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!

Post by fluffyfish » 09 November 12 10:50 pm

Also so does it matter if I create my 5 caches in a row or should I spread them out to get a range of numbers?