Bingo - The moving cache race for 2012/2013

Discussion about the Geocaching Australia web site
Just a cacher

Re: Bingo - The moving cache race for 2012/2013

Post by Just a cacher » 01 December 12 6:39 pm

Well, it's good to have a timely warning against having brilliant ideas that aren't exactly legal, anyway.
We know that C@W has his eagle eye on everything.

I'm sure we can all have fun without going outside the rules.

fluffyfish
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!

Post by fluffyfish » 01 December 12 6:41 pm

caughtatwork wrote:Please don't fake moves. Fake moves will be deleted and may DQ the cache from the game.
I was the organizer of the event and was the one who noted the funny coords when I went to find it. No evil intentions. Just a 21 instead of a 31. I tried a double event where players could find and move to the next event. Sort of worked except people were finding caches before others had logged the move. It might of looked suss but we followed the rules. Sorry for the furore.

nutwood

Post by nutwood » 01 December 12 6:54 pm

caughtatwork wrote:Yay. I finally have a green box on my Bingo card. Yay for me :mrgreen:
When did you find time to do that? I figured you were glued to the keyboard sorting out our little problems!
Good effort, on both counts. Thanks! :D

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 01 December 12 7:02 pm

fluffyfish wrote:
caughtatwork wrote:Please don't fake moves. Fake moves will be deleted and may DQ the cache from the game.
I was the organizer of the event and was the one who noted the funny coords when I went to find it. No evil intentions. Just a 21 instead of a 31. I tried a double event where players could find and move to the next event. Sort of worked except people were finding caches before others had logged the move. It might of looked suss but we followed the rules. Sorry for the furore.
Storm in a teacup. No harm. No foul.

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 01 December 12 7:03 pm

nutwood wrote:
caughtatwork wrote:Yay. I finally have a green box on my Bingo card. Yay for me :mrgreen:
When did you find time to do that? I figured you were glued to the keyboard sorting out our little problems!
Not too many problems. A few weird issues which I think are more human than technological. We're going out in a few minutes to try and nab some others that are hanging around.

fluffyfish
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!

Post by fluffyfish » 01 December 12 7:10 pm

I'm liking the bingo concept though noted we will either need some east coast transfers or new caches to get a full bingo card in WA.

Just a cacher

Post by Just a cacher » 01 December 12 7:11 pm

Fluffyfish, you'd better start thinking about how to get to the Eastern states, or how to create a few more caches, then.

I can assure you that not even the Mad Bunnies are mad enough to deliberately hit the Nullarbor in the summer.

WanderingAus
5000 or more caches found

Post by WanderingAus » 01 December 12 7:54 pm

I forgot to note down my numbers, but I just looked and I have 12 green boxes between my 5 cards, and I still have 5 moves to log which will give me 4 more green boxes. :mrgreen:

Even with a week in Sydney I doubt that I will fill any of my cards though. ](*,)

WanderingAus

Post by WanderingAus » 01 December 12 8:04 pm

Just to be sure I don't transgress:

I moved a tractor to our event part 2, and at the end of the event I took the ones which were left.

I just realised, after hiding it beside the Canning River and coming home, that I had taken the same tractor. :oops:

Should I just do another Moved log? Your advice please C@W

blossom*
3000 or more caches found
3000 or more caches found

Post by blossom* » 01 December 12 8:23 pm

Tuena wrote:My initial observation:

The strategies & tactics employed by the Tasmanians seem the most abel.
Are you talking about the way they managed to get a HEAP of the numbers available in Tassie? Becasue that is what I'm already realising I'm missing! There are a huge number of squares I need to fill on all my cards where the closest cache is Victoria or Tasmania :o I am looking at the cheap flights for the new year!! :?

fluffyfish
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!

Post by fluffyfish » 01 December 12 8:26 pm

Just a cacher wrote:Fluffyfish, you'd better start thinking about how to get to the Eastern states, or how to create a few more caches, then.

I can assure you that not even the Mad Bunnies are mad enough to deliberately hit the Nullarbor in the summer.
I miss the bunny transfer service.

nutwood

Post by nutwood » 01 December 12 9:45 pm

caughtatwork wrote:
nutwood wrote:
Not too many problems. A few weird issues which I think are more human than technological. We're going out in a few minutes to try and nab some others that are hanging around.
Here's one that's puzzling me. We've found GA4926 and yet my #26 square is still open. When I looked at the log of when I shifted it, there's no distance shown which presumably has blocked the number being ticked off. Have I screwed up somewhere? :-k

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 01 December 12 9:46 pm

nutwood wrote:
caughtatwork wrote:
nutwood wrote:
Here's one that's puzzling me. We've found GA4926 and yet my #26 square is still open. When I looked at the log of when I shifted it, there's no distance shown which presumably has blocked the number being ticked off. Have I screwed up somewhere? :-k
The published log has no co-ords, so it doesn't know where it was to start with.
If you can give me the co-ords of where you picked it up, I'll fix it.

Richary
8000 or more caches found
8000 or more caches found

Post by Richary » 01 December 12 9:51 pm

blossom* wrote:There are a huge number of squares I need to fill on all my cards where the closest cache is Victoria or Tasmania :o I am looking at the cheap flights for the new year!! :?
I haven't yet worried about what squares I need to fill, and just went and found a bunch this afternoon. After all they all count as smilies anyway. I think once we are a few weeks in and things have calmed down a little is when I will start seeing if there are numbers I need and target a run that direction. At this point the chances of something still being there If I made a deliberate attempt for it based on a download more than an hour or two old are fairly slim!

It looks like I will have a night each in both Hobart and the Sunshine Coast before the end of the year. Limited caching time but if something is around near the airports I might be able to do some transport.

gmj3191
7500 or more caches found
7500 or more caches found

Post by gmj3191 » 01 December 12 9:57 pm

Is there a time lag between a move and a green box on your bingo cards?
I have moved GA5031 but 31 isn't marked off on my cards.