Bingo - The moving cache race for 2012/2013

Discussion about the Geocaching Australia web site
nutwood

Re: Bingo - The moving cache race for 2012/2013

Post by nutwood » 24 December 12 6:25 pm

blossom* wrote:
caughtatwork wrote:For those folks in rural and regional areas who can't join in because of the lack of caches in their area, a chance to sit on the sidelines and watch people enjoy a game in the spirit it was intended. Just like watching the Olypmics. You can't participate, but watching can be a great deal of fun.
This is maybe the biggest drawback of the moving cache races - that there is a portion of our community who can't enjoy the fun of playing. Just for them, I'll play a bit harder so they can enjoy watching me :mrgreen:
Judging by what pulls the ratings on the entertainment front, we probably need to get a bit more aggression into it. When did you say you were coming to Tasmania? :twisted: :mrgreen:

quiet1_au
5500 or more caches found

Post by quiet1_au » 24 December 12 6:32 pm

Whilst this race is different to past years in so far as the distance travelled is not the main focus, but it provides its own frustrations where the completion of cards can potentially be impossible if the cache you need isn't locally available (be it through not existing, muggled, or moved too far out of reach). Compared to previous years where you effectively had to play to your own disadvantage to participate if you were a cache owner, this year's you score when you move a cache was a good idea. The competitive aspect is unfortunate, but I suppose unavoidable when there are prizes on offer, but I'm not sure its that much worse than last year, expect perhaps the large and out-of-the-way (ie suburbia) inconvenience aspects seem up to me - but then I'm probably even more active as a player in this year's race than last year so on the balance perhaps its not that big a change?... I wouldn't say this year was a failure by any means, it's been hard work and I'm close but still not managed to complete a card (and have doubts whether I will with the current cache placements), but I will still chase the caches that I haven't yet found, but where the caches are too large for easy moving and the number isn't necessary for my cards, what's the incentive to move it?... Having said that, I have "rescued" previously moved caches where they were in seemingly "unsafe" or out-of-the-way places too. I don't know how many kilometres I've clocked up in the game so far, but its hundreds, probably over 1000 by now.

I guess a problem with, or rather a feature of, this year's race has been the reliance on a particular cache being accessible and available, whereas in previous years any cache was fair game. Muggle loss, moved out of reach, etc. all potential problems. Slow moving-on/logging still an issue, poor choice of hides up on previous years (some I'd say weren't actually hiding...)

The thing about these races, and I include previous years too, is the fact that they provide a completely different way of playing the caching game, and I feel the experiments with different game-play, rules, themes is a great thing. Sure, there are issues with the sheer scale of the continent and the tiny liveable areas we inhabit getting in the way of the game (eg movement between states) - challenges to try to address for future races I hope. Perhaps some form of post-race debrief/evaluation to see what works/didn't work for participants?

:-$

nutwood

Post by nutwood » 24 December 12 6:56 pm

quiet1_au wrote:Whilst this race is different to past years in so far as the distance travelled is not the main focus, but it provides its own frustrations where the completion of cards can potentially be impossible if the cache you need isn't locally available (be it through not existing, muggled, or moved too far out of reach). Compared to previous years where you effectively had to play to your own disadvantage to participate if you were a cache owner, this year's you score when you move a cache was a good idea. The competitive aspect is unfortunate, but I suppose unavoidable when there are prizes on offer, but I'm not sure its that much worse than last year, expect perhaps the large and out-of-the-way (ie suburbia) inconvenience aspects seem up to me - but then I'm probably even more active as a player in this year's race than last year so on the balance perhaps its not that big a change?... I wouldn't say this year was a failure by any means, it's been hard work and I'm close but still not managed to complete a card (and have doubts whether I will with the current cache placements), but I will still chase the caches that I haven't yet found, but where the caches are too large for easy moving and the number isn't necessary for my cards, what's the incentive to move it?... Having said that, I have "rescued" previously moved caches where they were in seemingly "unsafe" or out-of-the-way places too. I don't know how many kilometres I've clocked up in the game so far, but its hundreds, probably over 1000 by now.

I guess a problem with, or rather a feature of, this year's race has been the reliance on a particular cache being accessible and available, whereas in previous years any cache was fair game. Muggle loss, moved out of reach, etc. all potential problems. Slow moving-on/logging still an issue, poor choice of hides up on previous years (some I'd say weren't actually hiding...)

The thing about these races, and I include previous years too, is the fact that they provide a completely different way of playing the caching game, and I feel the experiments with different game-play, rules, themes is a great thing. Sure, there are issues with the sheer scale of the continent and the tiny liveable areas we inhabit getting in the way of the game (eg movement between states) - challenges to try to address for future races I hope. Perhaps some form of post-race debrief/evaluation to see what works/didn't work for participants?

:-$
You are so very right. The different games give us a chance to look at how we play, what we do and what the results are. I'm fascinated by some of the things emerging from this game. The way the caches bunch up and almost become trading items. Let this game run for twelve months and there'd be material for a Phd.
Personally, I just find it fun. I'm happy to express my opinion on another cacher's tactics but if I met that same cacher in the field, I'd be just as happy to greet them as a friend; after I'd wrestled them to the ground and stolen their cache of course!
Seriously though, the day caching isn't fun will be the last day I cache. Fortunately this doesn't seem likely. Without labouring the point, this is why I favour the local product!

LouiseAnn
4500 or more caches found
4500 or more caches found

Post by LouiseAnn » 24 December 12 7:00 pm

I know I'm not actually playing, but I had the thought that some of the 'malicious' players (ie: holding on a number another players needs) might have less ability to do this if the card number were private to the person with the card. The cards could still be shown to the world with colored squares filling up, but not show the numbers. Just an idea...

nutwood

Post by nutwood » 24 December 12 7:05 pm

LouiseAnn wrote:I know I'm not actually playing, but I had the thought that some of the 'malicious' players (ie: holding on a number another players needs) might have less ability to do this if the card number were private to the person with the card. The cards could still be shown to the world with colored squares filling up, but not show the numbers. Just an idea...
That would prevent the negative tactics but would also prevent the positive ones. We know who's playing in our area and if we have a cache that would be of benefit to them, we tend to hide it in a location that they can access. If they've already got it, we'll hide it where it's likely to be picked up and moved to another area.
I'd like to think that those playing positively outnumber those of the opposite persuasion?

Richary
8000 or more caches found

Post by Richary » 24 December 12 11:00 pm

LouiseAnn wrote:I know I'm not actually playing, but I had the thought that some of the 'malicious' players (ie: holding on a number another players needs)
I don't know of anyone doing this, but it might be happening in different states. The only "improvement" I can think of here would be that it is a condition the move happens within the 2 days, or you don't get the number ticked off on your card.

Like others have mentioned, I see the competition as against the game not against others. But I am unlikely to fill a card, just having fun finding new caches.

I have been guilty of finding (or hiding) the 10 caches under a tree at a drop off point. The hiding is partly due to lack of time when I have a few and want to get them back in circulation after work. No time to go for a bushwalk, given a lot of bush here is National Park as well, and find somewhere to put them all.

As for archiving post game, yes some will stay and some won't. Some probably shouldn't. But as with frogs, gnomes, and even the first race there will still be some out there moving around. One of mine has already been muggled (but still shows up on the map despite being archived), the other two can continue around for as long as they want - I have no real need to retrieve them post-game.

FelixII
10000 or more caches found

Post by FelixII » 25 December 12 1:58 am

"caughtatwork"For those folks in rural and regional areas who can't join in because of the lack of caches in their area, a chance to sit on the sidelines and watch people enjoy a game in the spirit it was intended. Just like watching the Olypmics. You can't participate, but watching can be a great deal of fun.
This is maybe the biggest drawback of the moving cache races - that there is a portion of our community who can't enjoy the fun of playing. Just for them, I'll play a bit harder so they can enjoy watching me
Well we only have 1 player in Rural WA playing and we took 40 caches down there prior to an event so that they could tick off some numbers. They returned the favour by bringing them back to Perth for the Event.

There has been lots of moving caches from front yard to front yard as was done previously with frogs perhaps more this year but still has been fun with them not knowing till they get the alert 20metres from their doors! =D>

Yesterday alone we did a round trip of 140km to rescue some more remote caches that hadn't been moved on and tomorrow we are delivering a Christmas Bundle :-"

Then later in the week we are planning a 200km round trip to drop caches to another geocacher still in metro area but a bit further out of the game festivities.

Then of course there is the 4+ players in WA who have been busy placing caches to make sure ALL the numbers are in WA to be found.

So from our view WA has never banded together in the same fashion so whilst some of the caches collected from rubbish piles prior to the games commencement may be archived WA stands together :wink: at the border to stop any of our caches disappearing till ALL WA bingo cards get filled. :P

So that SURELY seems to achieve some of Caught at Works objectives! including the FUN of finding so many different caches. We have also taken quite a few pictures of BINGO caches out and about together.

Merry Christmas

SeabreezeOZ
200 or more found
200 or more found

Post by SeabreezeOZ » 26 December 12 11:33 am

So, for the last couple of weeks ive been watching my Bingo caches go travelling all over Perth, LOL, but no movement for the last couple of days. Either noone is going caching over the Xmas period, which seems logical or everybody has ticked off the numbers on their bingo cards. Well see what happens in the next month. Will be in Perth for the end of the race at Kings Park so were really looking forward to that!

PS. Thanks FelixII for bringing some caches down to Margaret River Area so i could tick off some numbers on my Bingo card. As i cant get back up to Perth until the end of Jan, i dont think i will be able to fill any of my bingo cards, but that was never my objective. I was just happy to participate in the race, my first one.

If anyone is coming down to MR before the end of the month and would like to drop off some caches at my house, i can bring them all back in time for the end of the race. Thanks in advance. :D [-o< 8-[ :-"

Richary

Post by Richary » 26 December 12 9:05 pm

I went and rescued 3 today that had been sitting unloved for a couple of weeks in NW Sydney. A bit surprising as not that far from some of the players, and some of the locals who are closer than me to them don't have them yet (whether they need them for their cards I don't know).

Luckily it looks like we might have a new infusion from Canberra that could help tick a few more boxes.

spatialriq

Post by spatialriq » 27 December 12 3:12 pm

Is it just me or are others having trouble with the cachinggames bingo ladder page? Haven't been able to view it all morning

http://www.cachinggames.com/bingo/ladder.php :(

geo_jas
3000 or more caches found
3000 or more caches found

Post by geo_jas » 27 December 12 3:23 pm

spatialriq wrote:Is it just me or are others having trouble with the cachinggames bingo ladder page? Haven't been able to view it all morning

It's been working fine for me all morning.

spatialriq

Post by spatialriq » 27 December 12 5:01 pm

geo_jas wrote:
spatialriq wrote:Is it just me or are others having trouble with the cachinggames bingo ladder page? Haven't been able to view it all morning

It's been working fine for me all morning.
Seems to be ok now, not sure what was going on?!?

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 27 December 12 5:38 pm

It was the Geocaching Australia website. There was a really heavy load this morning, so the cachinggames.com site was waiting, waiting, waiting for the files to come across.

Kittykatch

Post by Kittykatch » 27 December 12 8:30 pm

Are there any plans for events to mark the end of the Bingo Game? I haven't been involved in previous races but maybe it would be nice if some events were planned for Thurs 31 Jan so we could celebrate the end of the race? What do you think?? I am happy to organise - tho not at all sure what to do but am learning fast!

fluffyfish
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!

Post by fluffyfish » 27 December 12 8:35 pm

Kittykatch wrote:Are there any plans for events to mark the end of the Bingo Game? I haven't been involved in previous races but maybe it would be nice if some events were planned for Thurs 31 Jan so we could celebrate the end of the race? What do you think?? I am happy to organise - tho not at all sure what to do but am learning fast!
I've got an event in Perth but thinking that won't be much help to you :)

http://geocaching.com.au/cache/ga5427