Bingo - The moving cache race for 2012/2013

Discussion about the Geocaching Australia web site
User avatar
Chwiliwr
10000 or more caches found
10000 or more caches found
Posts: 887
Joined: 10 April 05 10:39 pm
Location: Leeming Western Australia

Re: Bingo - The moving cache race for 2012/2013

Post by Chwiliwr » 19 December 12 9:16 pm

I was adding caches today to make available all the numbers for WA but it seems that in adding them I somehow deleted 3 of my five original caches so only have 2 cards in the game instead of 5. This also affected some of the other players in WA as they now have bits missing that they had before.

I have put the 3 caches back into the game so have the correct number of caches in the game again but will my 3 mising cards return and will the logs for the other caches be picked up again next hour???

User avatar
caughtatwork
Posts: 16157
Joined: 17 May 04 12:11 pm
Location: Melbourne
Contact:

Re: Bingo - The moving cache race for 2012/2013

Post by caughtatwork » 19 December 12 9:33 pm

Chwiliwr wrote:I was adding caches today to make available all the numbers for WA but it seems that in adding them I somehow deleted 3 of my five original caches so only have 2 cards in the game instead of 5. This also affected some of the other players in WA as they now have bits missing that they had before.

I have put the 3 caches back into the game so have the correct number of caches in the game again but will my 3 mising cards return and will the logs for the other caches be picked up again next hour???
If you added the caches back into the game, the next run of the importer will fix everyones cards back up if they have moved a cache.

Unfortunately, once your own card is gone, it's gone and I can't get the original card back.
The system detected you have more than 5 caches in the game, so it didn't create the 3 cards you accidentally deleted. That's something I didn't expect in the code, so I'll generate 3 cards for you shortly. They will be new random numbers, sorry.

Your new cards are there. They will fill in the next import (hourly).

User avatar
Richary
6500 or more caches found
6500 or more caches found
Posts: 4136
Joined: 04 February 04 10:55 pm
Location: Waitara, Sydney

Re: Bingo - The moving cache race for 2012/2013

Post by Richary » 19 December 12 10:57 pm

nutwood wrote:Tasmania will welcome visiting Bingo cachers. I will happily supply a list of the specific numbers that are available here. We have a full set and multiples of quite a few tricky numbers. Only conditions are that foreigners pay for drinks and no exporting numbers!
It looks like I will have a Hobart trip in January sometime, so a raid may be in order. Of course, exporting numbers should then be permissible as surely all the locals will have already found the ones they need. We have a number here in Sydney in a stash that have stopped being found as all the local players seem to have already moved them. Most are small enough to bring in exchange.

I might have to make sure my trip is next to a weekend so I can stay an extra day.

User avatar
tronador
5000 or more caches found
5000 or more caches found
Posts: 1542
Joined: 04 November 05 10:18 pm
Location: Lidcombe,Sydney, NSW

Re: Bingo - The moving cache race for 2012/2013

Post by tronador » 20 December 12 4:10 pm

Where in the rules does it say they can't be taken? Nowhere. That is why they are moveable. Noone should be made to feel guilty by doing so.

User avatar
Just a cacher
Posts: 580
Joined: 03 July 10 3:01 am
Location: Northside, Canberra, Australia

Re: Bingo - The moving cache race for 2012/2013

Post by Just a cacher » 20 December 12 4:12 pm

I'm with Tronador. Nicking movable caches from under the noses of other cachers is part of the game. Of course, anyone can express a desire, or a wish, any time they like.....

nutwood
Posts: 391
Joined: 01 April 11 6:02 pm
Location: Tasmania

Re: Bingo - The moving cache race for 2012/2013

Post by nutwood » 20 December 12 4:27 pm

But this game is Bingo... Nicking movable caches from under the noses of other cachers might be good fun but a co-operative approach will reap more numbers. :wink:
Richary's quite correct though. Towards the middle of January, there probably needs to be mass migrations of caches around the country to freshen up stocks and help out people caught short by a couple of numbers that simply aren't available to them.

User avatar
Cheesy pigs
3000 or more caches found
3000 or more caches found
Posts: 1738
Joined: 02 June 05 6:51 pm
Location: Kingston

Re: Bingo - The moving cache race for 2012/2013

Post by Cheesy pigs » 20 December 12 4:35 pm

Moveables are fair game, Tassie caches can go anywhere, as can NSW caches or Victorian ones. I like seeing caches move across the borders

budgietas
7500 or more caches found
7500 or more caches found
Posts: 548
Joined: 25 January 10 9:35 pm
Location: Lenah Valley

Re: Bingo - The moving cache race for 2012/2013

Post by budgietas » 20 December 12 7:59 pm

Totally agree with cheesy, which is something I try not to do.

Movables are movables and I can go anywhere anyone takes them.

User avatar
Richary
6500 or more caches found
6500 or more caches found
Posts: 4136
Joined: 04 February 04 10:55 pm
Location: Waitara, Sydney

Re: Bingo - The moving cache race for 2012/2013

Post by Richary » 20 December 12 10:21 pm

It was a tongue in cheek response to the "no exporting" suggestion, which of course isn't enforceable, unless a local cacher is manning the beaglie station at Hobart airport :wink:

But yes, a mass move is required sooner or later if people are going to get their cards filled in some of the northern states. There's a pile here that have stalled because pretty much all the Sydney players have already found them. Hopefully they get a kick on this weekend. Otherwise I hope an interstate finder grabs the lot and moves them elsewhere for others.

Some are too large to easily transport interstate by air, but others would be an easy suitcase filler. Hobart and Mackay are on my agenda for overnight trips in January, but I can't see much point in transporting them to the latter spot.

User avatar
Black Bunny
Posts: 346
Joined: 06 September 09 8:02 pm
Location: Canberra

Re: Bingo - The moving cache race for 2012/2013

Post by Black Bunny » 21 December 12 6:11 am

Richary wrote:There's a pile here that have stalled because pretty much all the Sydney players have already found them. Hopefully they get a kick on this weekend. Otherwise I hope an interstate finder grabs the lot and moves them elsewhere for others.
That's the plan - a little christmas shuffle. :D :D

User avatar
s_mc500
150 or more caches found
150 or more caches found
Posts: 99
Joined: 26 November 10 12:21 pm
Location: Victoria

Re: Bingo - The moving cache race for 2012/2013

Post by s_mc500 » 21 December 12 8:15 am

Richary wrote:Hopefully they get a kick on this weekend. Otherwise I hope an interstate finder grabs the lot and moves them elsewhere for others.
I'm on my way this weekend... will try and grab a few Melb ones and deliver to Syd.

User avatar
Just a cacher
Posts: 580
Joined: 03 July 10 3:01 am
Location: Northside, Canberra, Australia

Re: Bingo - The moving cache race for 2012/2013

Post by Just a cacher » 21 December 12 8:41 am

Yes, we are also planning a little drive to Sydney soon, and possibly one to Melbourne a bit later....

nutwood
Posts: 391
Joined: 01 April 11 6:02 pm
Location: Tasmania

Re: Bingo - The moving cache race for 2012/2013

Post by nutwood » 21 December 12 9:03 am

Richary wrote:It was a tongue in cheek response to the "no exporting" suggestion, which of course isn't enforceable, unless a local cacher is manning the beaglie station at Hobart airport :wink:
"No exporting" was a tongue in cheek suggestion in the first place!
Mind you, I'd like to be a fly on the wall when someone tries to get a couple of our caches on a plane. [-(

Trimbletas
250 or more caches found
250 or more caches found
Posts: 21
Joined: 20 October 10 10:39 pm
Location: Tasmania

Re: Bingo - The moving cache race for 2012/2013

Post by Trimbletas » 21 December 12 9:42 am

nutwood wrote:
Richary wrote:It was a tongue in cheek response to the "no exporting" suggestion, which of course isn't enforceable, unless a local cacher is manning the beaglie station at Hobart airport :wink:
"No exporting" was a tongue in cheek suggestion in the first place!
Mind you, I'd like to be a fly on the wall when someone tries to get a couple of our caches on a plane. [-(
I have a contact in Quarantine that also happens to be cacher. I could organise the authorities to step protocol. :twisted: :lol:

That aside, I reckon by the time our mainland raiders we could have a nice even spread across the state. :) .

User avatar
Cheesy pigs
3000 or more caches found
3000 or more caches found
Posts: 1738
Joined: 02 June 05 6:51 pm
Location: Kingston

Re: Bingo - The moving cache race for 2012/2013

Post by Cheesy pigs » 21 December 12 10:26 am

Trimbletas wrote:I have a contact in Quarantine that also happens to be cacher. I could organise the authorities to step protocol. :twisted: :lol:
Based on the 7.30 report last night, you may not at this time :twisted:

Post Reply