Bingo - The moving cache race for 2012/2013

Discussion about the Geocaching Australia web site
Chwiliwr
10000 or more caches found
10000 or more caches found

Re: Bingo - The moving cache race for 2012/2013

Post by Chwiliwr » 11 December 12 1:02 am

DaFiChNi Team wrote:Last I knew Launceston had good internet coverage. Obsessed with finds to the detriment of others is no excuse as far I am concerned!
It is a game and part of that game is not knowing whether you will find a cache at the coordinates. (It happened twice to me today)

If it was made a rule of any future game that a 'found' log had to be made within an hour then I would not play the game at all. It is a nonsensical rule as it cannot be enforced and will not eliminate your problem.

What extra rule would you make for a situation where the cache is found 5 minutes before you get there. You will not find a cache at the coordinates and the finder still has 55 minutes to log the find.

JABs
4500 or more caches found
4500 or more caches found

Post by JABs » 11 December 12 5:36 am

DaFiChNi Team wrote:Just a comment for future games. I see (and share) a big big frustration in people looking for moveables that have already been found. Maybe for next year's game, a general guideline could be about logging a FOUND within say an hour (it's not that hard with mobiles/ipads/tablets/free wifi). Quite a few people in the Launceston region today have been looking for caches that weren't there. I understand this is part of a moveables game, but a time limit /guideline for logging a found would be nice (just out of courtesy) to save people long drives and wasted time and effort.
Sorry where do I get my free phone and mobil data plan. Always log as soon as I can when I get home.

DaFiChNi Team
1950 or more caches found

Post by DaFiChNi Team » 11 December 12 6:34 am

JABs and Chwiliwr all anyone can ask in a moveables game is that Finds be logged as soon as possible. My suggestion (it was just a suggestion) was worded as a guideline not an inflexible rule and was founded in trying to be courteous to other players, not to alienate anyone.

tronador
6500 or more caches found
6500 or more caches found

Post by tronador » 11 December 12 6:47 am

I'm with JABs. There are many of us who cache with a real GPS. :? :shock: It s a cache RACE, if I go a long distance I EXPECT Iwill be beaten and it's a bonus if Im not.

rogerw3
8000 or more caches found
8000 or more caches found

Post by rogerw3 » 11 December 12 7:26 am

DaFiChNi Team wrote:Just a comment for future games. I see (and share) a big big frustration in people looking for moveables that have already been found. Maybe for next year's game, a general guideline could be about logging a FOUND within say an hour (it's not that hard with mobiles/ipads/tablets/free wifi). Quite a few people in the Launceston region today have been looking for caches that weren't there. I understand this is part of a moveables game, but a time limit /guideline for logging a found would be nice (just out of courtesy) to save people long drives and wasted time and effort.
I hope this is not where the game is going, I do not have a smart phone, cannot afford either the hardware or the data. I certainly would no longer be geocaching if this became a "rule".
Not knowing if you are going to come up empty handed is part of the challenge. I routinely travel 3 hours by train to Sydney to go look for moveables and if they are gone, then so be it. it makes finding one all the more fun.

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 11 December 12 7:53 am

FelixII wrote:Ummm seems to be another typo :-"

Anyone seen 54471 #-o
GA54471 should be GA5471 and I've fixed this up.

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 11 December 12 8:47 am

Geocaching Australia was founded on the principal of free and open.
i.e. Free to get the data and use the site.
i.e. Open in that there are many ways and methods of getting data from the site and posting data to the site.

Closing the game down by enforcing a rule that requires you to have access to certain technologies would violate the principal on which the site was founded. i.e. If you don't have a smart phone or cannot get back home in < 1 hour, do not find / log this cache.

There are some cache types that require certain technology. There will be more cache types in the future that require certain technology (QR codes, RFID's, etc). They're an evolving part of the game and are set as specific types so they can be easily filtered from your caches to find. Placing an artificial restriction on a find log for a general cache type would not be in the interests of the game or the site.

You are free to place such a requirement on any cache that you own, but as the game administrator I would not like to impose such a rule on the game.

I understand your frustration at heading to a location to find the cache has moved on. Been there. Done that. Sometimes a hundred kilometres from home base. It can be very frustrating and I will occasionally try to think of a way where I can change the site to force an action that will benefit me. I then think pragmatically about the folks who don't own the newer technology and realise ... hey it's a game.

DaFiChNi Team

Post by DaFiChNi Team » 11 December 12 9:10 am

Well said c@w. No rule was intended. It was just a suggestion to encourage people to log moveable finds as quickly as they possibly can with whatever means are available them. This is simply as a consideration to other players in the game. Nothing more, nothing less.

WanderingAus
5000 or more caches found

Post by WanderingAus » 11 December 12 9:42 am

DaFiChNi Team wrote: This is simply as a consideration to other players in the game. Nothing more, nothing less.
There is NO OBLIGATION to show any consideration to other players in the game. That's why there is also NO OBLIGATION to do a grab and drop.

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 11 December 12 9:48 am

WanderingAus wrote:
DaFiChNi Team wrote: This is simply as a consideration to other players in the game. Nothing more, nothing less.
There is NO OBLIGATION to show any consideration to other players in the game. That's why there is also NO OBLIGATION to do a grab and drop.
That is correct. Take and leave is not part of the game nor is it part of the general geocaching activity. The caches are intended to move. If someone feels like dropping one in an area that they have found one, that is their choice. They should feel no guilt about taking them all way to another area. This is especially true if the cache has none to drop. i.e. Unless they have one in their possession they can never move one. But of course they can never get one as they didn't have one to drop in the first place.

DaFiChNi Team

Post by DaFiChNi Team » 11 December 12 9:53 am

....well we feel an obligation to be considerate and courteous to other players. How you choose to play it is up to you!

WanderingAus

Post by WanderingAus » 11 December 12 10:05 am

DaFiChNi Team wrote:....well we feel an obligation to be considerate and courteous to other players.
So did I, but when I raised it in this forum I was told quite clearly "There is NO OBLIGATION to do a grab and drop."

DaFiChNi Team

Post by DaFiChNi Team » 11 December 12 10:12 am

WanderingAus wrote:
DaFiChNi Team wrote:....well we feel an obligation to be considerate and courteous to other players.
So did I, but when I raised it in this forum I was told quite clearly "There is NO OBLIGATION to do a grab and drop."
...that makes it hard if you are a bit removed from the action. I guess you could go get a stack from elsewhere, place them in your local area (your driveway even) and negotiate to do swapovers.

SeabreezeOZ
200 or more found
200 or more found

Post by SeabreezeOZ » 11 December 12 10:39 am

Can i propose a new game after this one is finished. Moveable caches that have QR codes attached. Find the cache, scan it straight away to indicate its been found then place somewhere else later. I would dig that! Can someone explain how i can create QR codes, LOL! :lol:

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 11 December 12 11:19 am

SeabreezeOZ wrote:Can i propose a new game after this one is finished. Moveable caches that have QR codes attached. Find the cache, scan it straight away to indicate its been found then place somewhere else later. I would dig that! Can someone explain how i can create QR codes, LOL! :lol:
Go to your cache page.
Print QR code.
Attach to cache.