Discussion about the Geocaching Australia web site
quiet1_au
5500 or more caches found

Re: Bingo - The moving cache race for 2012/2013

Post by quiet1_au » 04 December 12 10:05 pm

caughtatwork wrote:
quiet1_au wrote:New feature request - Moveables Inventory

I'm not expecting this for this year's race, but what I'm finding is that as I query for Bingo caches unfound by me, it's not quite so easy to determine which caches you (should) still have in your possession and in doing so get a quick way of accessing the logging page for a particular cache you have. (Along the lines of the Trackables option on t'other site) Would something like this be possible?

:-$
Pretty much comes up each year and ... no.
Well, not fully no, but not completely yes.

In order to move a moveable into your inventory you would need a secondary action which was (say) "Taken". A mere find does not tell anyone whether it was taken or left behind. The "Taken" could be done via log or via tickbox on the log page for the found or noted log.
You would then need to take another secondary action on a move to "Leave" the cache, removing it from your inventory.

The challenge we have encountered in the past is that "Taken" and "Left" log types are not handled by any GPX file reader. We're also entirely unsure of what errors will occur should we put out these two new logs. e.g. GSAK when reading the file may fail spectacularly. Your GPS may not read the file and lock up your device.

What will also happen is that someone will forget to log (or action) a "Taken", leading people to believe it's still there whereas it's not. Ditto for the "Leave". You forget to "Leave" the cache and it appears to be not there.

There is no simple solution to any of this sort of problem. It's one of those things where you need to do the work to see if you want to go looking for a cache.
Ah! No, not that old chestnut!...

What I was meaning is list of moveable caches that I've logged a "found" for but not yet posted a "moved" log for, in one quick & easy-to-access list (like the trackables inventory). Working though the daily logs to find a cache to log a move for is a bit of a hassle as they appear to be sorted by GCA code rather than date/log order? It's particularly bad on a tablet device which has limited screen space and doesn't really handle tabs that well. It's more of a problem in the first few days of the race when there are lots of caches to log, but not so critical when you're down to a handful a day.

Just wondering.

quiet1_au

Post by quiet1_au » 04 December 12 10:17 pm

Tuena wrote:I had created a QR Code for one of my Bingo caches using that link above & when my daughter got home had her scan it & it worked.

I then downloaded the same app - Redlaser but it doesn't work on my phone for QR Codes despite saying that it reads barcodes & QR Codes. More of the same. Even the bar code reading was useless - no record of a can of condensed milk.

Is there another QR Code reader I could try?
I used one on the iPad/iPod/iPhone simply called Scan (http://scan.me) I tried several but this one was fast and often read the code before I even had a chance to centre it, etc! It can also load photo images

It's available for Android and Windows phone too.

I think I preferred the first version, the new v2 has more links to FB,Twitter,etc which quite frankly I don't want - but YMMV.

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 04 December 12 10:18 pm

quiet1_au wrote:
caughtatwork wrote:
quiet1_au wrote:New feature request - Moveables Inventory

I'm not expecting this for this year's race, but what I'm finding is that as I query for Bingo caches unfound by me, it's not quite so easy to determine which caches you (should) still have in your possession and in doing so get a quick way of accessing the logging page for a particular cache you have. (Along the lines of the Trackables option on t'other site) Would something like this be possible?

Pretty much comes up each year and ... no.
Well, not fully no, but not completely yes.

In order to move a moveable into your inventory you would need a secondary action which was (say) "Taken". A mere find does not tell anyone whether it was taken or left behind. The "Taken" could be done via log or via tickbox on the log page for the found or noted log.
You would then need to take another secondary action on a move to "Leave" the cache, removing it from your inventory.

The challenge we have encountered in the past is that "Taken" and "Left" log types are not handled by any GPX file reader. We're also entirely unsure of what errors will occur should we put out these two new logs. e.g. GSAK when reading the file may fail spectacularly. Your GPS may not read the file and lock up your device.

What will also happen is that someone will forget to log (or action) a "Taken", leading people to believe it's still there whereas it's not. Ditto for the "Leave". You forget to "Leave" the cache and it appears to be not there.

There is no simple solution to any of this sort of problem. It's one of those things where you need to do the work to see if you want to go looking for a cache.
Ah! No, not that old chestnut!...

What I was meaning is list of moveable caches that I've logged a "found" for but not yet posted a "moved" log for, in one quick & easy-to-access list (like the trackables inventory). Working though the daily logs to find a cache to log a move for is a bit of a hassle as they appear to be sorted by GCA code rather than date/log order? It's particularly bad on a tablet device which has limited screen space and doesn't really handle tabs that well. It's more of a problem in the first few days of the race when there are lots of caches to log, but not so critical when you're down to a handful a day.

Just wondering.

Ahh.

I use this (but with my name).
That lists my finds but I appreciate it does not list any moves.
http://geocaching.com.au/cacher/quiet1_ ... swaypoints

You know what will happen if we make a list of moveable caches you have found but not moved?
Someone will drop a cache with a find log and so never get a moved log.
Or someone will drop a cache with a note log and so never get a moved log.
Or someone will find a cache and never move it because they left it there.

I can just see it happening now.

Not this is an impossible idea, but again we run into the challenge of not having to have a move for a find. We can catch a find with a subsequent log that has new co-ords regardless of log type. What do we then do for a find where you didn't move it? It would stay in your inventory for ever.

WanderingAus
5000 or more caches found

Post by WanderingAus » 04 December 12 10:50 pm

caughtatwork wrote:Nah, it's all cool.
I would prefer the link to the log page, 'cos that what I'm trying to get to ... fast.
I thought that might be the case. I'm including the QR Code on the basis that it will reduce the number of "darn, someones alread grabbed it and haven't logged it yet".

The six I am currently working on all have the log link (I only have to change the last one or two chars at http://www.qrstuff.com/ and hit enter, that's really handy).
caughtatwork wrote: The game has taken a twist that I wasn't expecting. I was hoping to get a couple of hundred caches, with hopefully every number having at least 2 caches. That way people would have a half decent chance of getting to all of the numbers they needed. I simply did not expect that Tasmania and Western Australia would take it upon themselves to hide at least one of every number in the game. Brilliant move guys and one that is to be applauded. Helping out your fellow GCA community members is highly praiseworthy.

I hope (expect) to hand out a lot of prizes for completed cards (although I'm still not sure what the prizes will be).
I'm not sure whether you're saying I'm naughty or nice - but I did help out FelixII with three of their numbers in my six published today.

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 04 December 12 11:02 pm

Oh, I'm on the good side of saying nice. It's terrific to see the community getting together to help their fellow cachers get to their goals.

fluffyfish
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!

Post by fluffyfish » 04 December 12 11:44 pm

Tuena wrote:
gmj3191 wrote: Try this site, just paste your cache URL into the box
http://www.qrstuff.com/
Interesting to see what QR stands for as I found them to be the exact opposite. Gave up on Munzees as it was hit or miss as to whether a read or capture would be successful.

Sorry fluffyfish - the munzees I found with your caches will have to remain in the pretend mode.
That's cool Tuena. Hope you are getting some GCA love down on the South Coast this summer. I haven't been back to Wollongong since I moved to WA a year ago. Hoping to make it back in mid 2013. Will check on my GCA caches!

fluffyfish
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!

Post by fluffyfish » 04 December 12 11:45 pm

WanderingAus wrote: but I did help out FelixII with three of their numbers in my six published today.
=D>

spatialriq

Post by spatialriq » 05 December 12 1:32 am

Is there any way to draft a new cache but have it assigned a specific number?

I've just been thru the list of all the WA entrants and there are 25 numbers not here. I just made a new cache and got ga5429 but if I wanted to make say 5432, 5451 and 5480 I could just draft up 60 odd caches, but that seems like a waste as I'm not planning on hiding 60 caches any time soon :roll:

I guess people will start to depoly in the hope of getting the last few numbers they need in late Jan to complete their cards.

As it stands I currently cannot finish any of my bingo cards with all the available caches in WA. I can get 23/25 at best ... 14/25 at worst :(

Hopefully several caches start to cross the country soon :)

fluffyfish
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!

Post by fluffyfish » 05 December 12 1:47 am

Is there a list of recently published caches? Like a query of caches published on yesterdays date? Then you could see what are the likely upcoming GCA caches. Though the fact they get assigned a number in draft does make it a bit difficult.

Well if you have GA5429 then only another 3 quick moveables gives WA a 32!

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 05 December 12 8:16 am

spatialriq wrote:Is there any way to draft a new cache but have it assigned a specific number?
No there isn't.
Numbers are are assigned sequentially on a "next number" basis.
Luck is all you have.

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 05 December 12 8:18 am

fluffyfish wrote:Is there a list of recently published caches? Like a query of caches published on yesterdays date? Then you could see what are the likely upcoming GCA caches. Though the fact they get assigned a number in draft does make it a bit difficult.

Well if you have GA5429 then only another 3 quick moveables gives WA a 32!
Recently published caches does not mean the next number is available.
I have many draft caches (through testing) and at any time I can make these a real cache.
I believe GA0611 was the earliest draft cache number that was released in the game. That's nearly 5,000 cache numbers ago.
This will give an indication, but you'll need to check the numbers to find the highest.

WanderingAus

Post by WanderingAus » 05 December 12 11:04 am

caughtatwork wrote:
spatialriq wrote:Is there any way to draft a new cache but have it assigned a specific number?
No there isn't.
Luck is all you have.
Yep, I was using luck, if I was one or two down I did more, missed several by one (got 33 to 39, (WA has a 32), needed 42 but 2y'stassies got it, needed 47 but Mandina206 got it, needed 48 and 50 but Unknown/unlisted cache got them (GA5348 and GA5350) and I got 49 not needed by me or WA.

Any chance I can get GA5348 and GA5350? I've got the themes for them already.

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 05 December 12 11:13 am

WanderingAus wrote:
caughtatwork wrote:
No there isn't.
Luck is all you have.
Yep, I was using luck, if I was one or two down I did more, missed several by one (got 33 to 39, (WA has a 32), needed 42 but 2y'stassies got it, needed 47 but Mandina206 got it, needed 48 and 50 but Unknown/unlisted cache got them (GA5348 and GA5350) and I got 49 not needed by me or WA.

Any chance I can get GA5348 and GA5350? I've got the themes for them already.
GA5348 is owned by 2y'stassies.
GA5358 is owned by 2y'stassies.
You can barter with them.
Depends on how much 2y'stassies will allow the WA folks to build up their bingo cards :mrgreen:
If both sides agree I can transfer ownership.

DG Tas
600 or more caches found
600 or more caches found

Post by DG Tas » 05 December 12 4:28 pm

Um...I think us Tasmanian's are a bit keen (read: crazy). :wink: Of the top 5 GCA finders for Dec, 4 are Tasmanian's. And are the stats correct on the bottom of the Bingo ladder? 97% of Tassie cache's have been found, in 5 days!
I know I have no plans to travel over the next 2 months so I need to get my numbers when I can, and before they all leave for the 'Big lsland' :)

nutwood

Post by nutwood » 05 December 12 4:43 pm

DG Tas wrote:Um...I think us Tasmanian's are a bit keen (read: crazy). :wink: Of the top 5 GCA finders for Dec, 4 are Tasmanian's. And are the stats correct on the bottom of the Bingo ladder? 97% of Tassie cache's have been found, in 5 days!
I know I have no plans to travel over the next 2 months so I need to get my numbers when I can, and before they all leave for the 'Big lsland' :)
We're endeavouring to get controls in place so any geocacher leaving the State is searched and if they are found to be carrying a Bingo cache, it is confiscated and returned to it's last known hiding place. The enabling legislation is being created under the Tourism Act. You may visit Tasmania to log caches and will be made most welcome. We will assist your caching to the best of our ability but please don't try to sneak one on an aeroplane.
Special dispensation may be granted in cases of urgent need, where there are three or more of the required number present in Tasmania or where arrangements have been made for the speedy return of the cache. I believe leasing contracts are being drafted, with payment being in a liquid form.