Bingo - The moving cache race for 2012/2013

Discussion about the Geocaching Australia web site
caughtatwork

Re: Bingo - The moving cache race for 2012/2013

Post by caughtatwork » 02 December 12 7:02 pm

Rogue wrote:I joined the game on the cachinggames site, and only realised after joining that you only get a game card if you hide a cache. Yesterday morning I released a cache as part of the game and it had the bingo tag, but I didn't realise until now that on the cachinggames website I had to also "create" the cache on there for it to be listed and get a game card.

So, now I have a game card, but none of the caches I moved yesterday have been ticked off on my card. I don't see anything in the rules about having to move the caches after you get your game card. Is this something that can be fixed? I tried editing my 'move' log from yesterday and re-saving it, but it doesn't seem to have helped.
Your caching name is R0gue.
You are entered into the game as Rogue.
In order to match the finds and moves, I match against the cacher name.
Go to member services http://cachinggames.test/members/index.php
Click Edit Your Details (or use this direct link) http://cachinggames.test/members/edit.php
Update your name to R0gue rather than Rogue
That will align your names and the next update will fix the missing card numbers.

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 02 December 12 7:04 pm

Bronnie_1990 wrote:Ok now i have a technical problem.

I have #87 on two of my cards, yet i've found (and moved) GA4887. It still hasnt ticked it off. Help?
Mr Roo did not have any starting co-ords on his publish log. This means I can't tell where the cache was when you first found it. That means I can't calculate a distance.
Please give me the co-ords of where you found it and I'll update his publish log.
That should fix your issue.

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 02 December 12 7:07 pm

Chwiliwr wrote:
Bronnie_1990 wrote:Ok now i have a technical problem.

I have #87 on two of my cards, yet i've found (and moved) GA4887. It still hasnt ticked it off. Help?
You have moved one of those caches that do not have coordinates on the publish logs. I looked up the cache on my initial download of all the moveables and the orginal coordinate was S35° 11.391 E149° 02.002 so if you ask caughtatwork to put that in the publish log it should correct everything.
Have done so. Thanks Chwiliwr.

DG Tas
600 or more caches found
600 or more caches found

Post by DG Tas » 02 December 12 7:51 pm

Cheesy pigs wrote:I've already found and moved a pushbike today. I'm still saying no for whole cars but hub caps are fair game lol
We found and moved our biggest cache ever, I think it would be pretty fair to say it was bigger than a pushbike! But Im not saying anything more till after the race, then will have photo's to put up!

The caches we have found this weekend have been awesome! Some, including our own, have pushed to the outer limits of the transport theme!

CraigRat
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!
Twitter: CraigRat
Facebook: http://facebook.com/CraigRat

Post by CraigRat » 02 December 12 8:23 pm

DG Tas wrote:
Cheesy pigs wrote:I've already found and moved a pushbike today. I'm still saying no for whole cars but hub caps are fair game lol
We found and moved our biggest cache ever, I think it would be pretty fair to say it was bigger than a pushbike! But Im not saying anything more till after the race, then will have photo's to put up!

The caches we have found this weekend have been awesome! Some, including our own, have pushed to the outer limits of the transport theme!
=D> =D> =D> \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ =D> =D> =D> I'm glad you moved it, I would have gone crazy with it staying near my place..... mind you, it's still the closest one to me in a straight line................

Bronnie_1990
1000 or more caches found
1000 or more caches found
Twitter: bronnie1990

Post by Bronnie_1990 » 02 December 12 8:41 pm

Wait, someone else hid a bike? Excellent!!! :D

pjmpjm
6000 or more caches found
6000 or more caches found
Twitter: Booroobin

BINGO Bikes At Large

Post by pjmpjm » 02 December 12 9:12 pm

Bronnie_1990 wrote:
Wait, someone else hid a bike?
Gee, I really hope so! Otherwise I just stole some kid's pushbike outside of Springwood Station . . .

Cheesy pigs
3000 or more caches found

Post by Cheesy pigs » 02 December 12 9:13 pm

You want to make it easy on yourself and just email me your details? ;)

nutwood

Post by nutwood » 02 December 12 9:18 pm

CraigRat wrote: =D> =D> =D> \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ =D> =D> =D> I'm glad you moved it, I would have gone crazy with it staying near my place..... mind you, it's still the closest one to me in a straight line................
It'll be back.... :twisted:

Rogue
7500 or more caches found
Twitter: steffvan

Post by Rogue » 02 December 12 9:34 pm

caughtatwork wrote:
Rogue wrote:I joined the game on the cachinggames site, and only realised after joining that you only get a game card if you hide a cache. Yesterday morning I released a cache as part of the game and it had the bingo tag, but I didn't realise until now that on the cachinggames website I had to also "create" the cache on there for it to be listed and get a game card.

So, now I have a game card, but none of the caches I moved yesterday have been ticked off on my card. I don't see anything in the rules about having to move the caches after you get your game card. Is this something that can be fixed? I tried editing my 'move' log from yesterday and re-saving it, but it doesn't seem to have helped.
Your caching name is R0gue.
You are entered into the game as Rogue.
In order to match the finds and moves, I match against the cacher name.
Go to member services http://cachinggames.test/members/index.php
Click Edit Your Details (or use this direct link) http://cachinggames.test/members/edit.php
Update your name to R0gue rather than Rogue
That will align your names and the next update will fix the missing card numbers.
YAY! That is awesome, thanks heaps C@W!
I thought it was going to pick it up off my GCA name which is Rogue, but my GC name is R0gue. All fixed now :D

quiet1_au
5500 or more caches found

Post by quiet1_au » 02 December 12 10:51 pm

Bronnie_1990 wrote:So, there's been a hubcap sitting in the nature strip near my house for the last...month and a bit.

Is it wrong to attach a bison tube, and go publish it?
:-"
I've already found and moved one only it had a film cannister glued on. :lol: I thought it was rather good - and one you can just about hide in plain sight too.

If it's been there for days, I say it's OK - it it's "fresh" give the owner a chance to back-track and recover it first. I've seen a couple around the roads but have enough caches to keep up with this race....

:-$

gmj3191

Post by gmj3191 » 03 December 12 9:31 am

Is there a trap in the publish process which is causing these issues with the initial location?
As far as I can see, you put the location in when the cache is created.
Do you need to put it in again when it is published?

The initial location with these problem caches is there, and they are being found initially, so it could it be a bug?

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 03 December 12 10:23 am

gmj3191 wrote:Is there a trap in the publish process which is causing these issues with the initial location?

The initial location with these problem caches is there, and they are being found initially, so it could it be a bug?
Yes, there is a trap. One that I don't think we've encountered before.
When a moveable cache is published the co-ords from the cache page are transferred to the published log.
If there were no co-ords (say the cache was still set at 0 and 0), then no co-ords go to the published log.
This gives the distance calculations a starting point.
If the cache is published and then the co-ords on the cache page are updated, the published log remains unchanged.
All new co-ords are done via logs for moveables.
As such, any subsequent log which doesn't have new co-ords (say a note or DNF), the cache is updated with the latest co-ords from the log.
As these are "wrong" if it's the published log and the cache co-ords have been changed, the cache reverts back to the published log co-ords.

So what I am going to do is:
If you edit the cache co-ords after it has been published, I will update the published log to contain the new co-ords.
If you publish a moveable cache with no co-ords set on the cache page, I'll throw an error.
If you remove the co-ords from the published log, I'll thrown an error.

That should hopefully avoid this trap in the future.

I have to admit, I didn't think of these scenarios. I always expected that people would input the final correct co-ords and then publish. I never expected anyone to publish at 0,0 or change the co-ords after it was published. We have tried to let people be as flexible with updating details as possible. i.e. Not restrict what you can do. It appears that in the case of publishing moveables, this was not a wise idea, so we'll add some code to "lock down" what you can and can't do and hopefully that will avoid some of the traps.

GJMMelb

Post by GJMMelb » 03 December 12 1:34 pm

caughtatwork wrote:
gmj3191 wrote:Is there a trap in the publish process which is causing these issues with the initial location?

Yes, there is a trap. One that I don't think we've encountered before.
When a moveable cache is published the co-ords from the cache page are transferred to the published log.
If there were no co-ords (say the cache was still set at 0 and 0), then no co-ords go to the published log.
This gives the distance calculations a starting point.
If the cache is published and then the co-ords on the cache page are updated, the published log remains unchanged.
All new co-ords are done via logs for moveables.
As such, any subsequent log which doesn't have new co-ords (say a note or DNF), the cache is updated with the latest co-ords from the log.
As these are "wrong" if it's the published log and the cache co-ords have been changed, the cache reverts back to the published log co-ords.

So what I am going to do is:
If you edit the cache co-ords after it has been published, I will update the published log to contain the new co-ords.
If you publish a moveable cache with no co-ords set on the cache page, I'll throw an error.
If you remove the co-ords from the published log, I'll thrown an error.

That should hopefully avoid this trap in the future.

I have to admit, I didn't think of these scenarios. I always expected that people would input the final correct co-ords and then publish. I never expected anyone to publish at 0,0 or change the co-ords after it was published. We have tried to let people be as flexible with updating details as possible. i.e. Not restrict what you can do. It appears that in the case of publishing moveables, this was not a wise idea, so we'll add some code to "lock down" what you can and can't do and hopefully that will avoid some of the traps.
Sorry C@W ... In our case it was a case of being excited and wanting to get Bingo Cards so created the cache pages so we could do that and put in a publish log at the same time without the cache actually even been bought yet in a couple of cases lolol, so definately not hidden. ](*,) Next year we will make sure it's hidden before creating the future publish log. With the Gnomes we started after the 1 Dec so didnt have that prob and with the frogs we hid them before creating the pages.... As you say we live and learn!! :-)

quiet1_au

Post by quiet1_au » 03 December 12 2:14 pm

Bronnie_1990 wrote:
Wait, someone else hid a bike? Excellent!!! :D
As I headed out and returned from grabbing 3 Bingo caches at morning tea time, I spotted a little tricycle and a child's bike or two across the road. Hmm I thought, maybe I should nab the trike for a payback cache (I have a large Bingo sitting in my boot at the moment). Come lunchtime though, they'd gone.... I wonder........ :-k

:-$