Bingo - The moving cache race for 2012/2013

Discussion about the Geocaching Australia web site
User avatar
FelixII
10000 or more caches found
10000 or more caches found
Posts: 260
Joined: 12 December 10 9:12 pm
Location: Pearsall WA

Re: Bingo - The moving cache race for 2012/2013

Post by FelixII » 02 December 12 1:17 am

is that why you're archiving your caches? i would have liked to find them
Sorry Mark,

Yep our trip to Margs next weekend is cancelled now.

That at least is saving David 400km+ fuel that he was bitching about.

some win some lose.

Life is like that :-"

User avatar
quiet1_au
5500 or more caches found
5500 or more caches found
Posts: 338
Joined: 24 April 10 1:26 pm
Location: Box Hill South

Re: Bingo - The moving cache race for 2012/2013

Post by quiet1_au » 02 December 12 8:07 am

caughtatwork wrote:Temporary moves "en route" while a mate picks up the cache is OK, but gross fake logs to accumulate distance points is not in the spirit of the game.
Glad this one is official, but lets face it how else can you do it? Twice yesterday I bumped into eager Bingoees on the hunt chasing the same caches, so it makes a perfect opportunity to offload those large & cumbersome ones sitting in my boot (so I didn't have to figure out where to put them :mrgreen:) and pick up a new cache or two in the process. So if anyone ever wondered why there were no hints on a particular moved log it's just that the next finder doesn't need them as they're standing next to me! Unlike pre-arranged events (hmm... :-k) these were purely coincidental meet-ups with a logging of mutual convenience. :) Although in a way it's self-defeating as you're aiding and abetting the "enemy" #-o :lol:

:-$

Online
Trimbletas
250 or more caches found
250 or more caches found
Posts: 21
Joined: 20 October 10 10:39 pm
Location: Tasmania

Re: Bingo - The moving cache race for 2012/2013

Post by Trimbletas » 02 December 12 8:09 am

fluffyfish wrote:
Tuena wrote:
nutwood wrote:
Tuena wrote:My initial observation:

The strategies & tactics employed by the Tasmanians seem the most abel.
Ouch! :stabby
I was being complimentary ................ strategies & tactics were superior to any I had seen in the other States. abel is a play on words based on the first name of your state's namesake, the Dutch explorer Abel (able) Tasman.

"............seem the most abel". is a positive. Able according to my Macquarie Dictionary means: having sufficient power, strength or qualifications, showing talent or knowledge.

No Ouch! intended.
They cache like "Diemens" down there....
:twisted: We ALL like Diemens Posessed down here :twisted:

User avatar
quiet1_au
5500 or more caches found
5500 or more caches found
Posts: 338
Joined: 24 April 10 1:26 pm
Location: Box Hill South

Re: Bingo - The moving cache race for 2012/2013

Post by quiet1_au » 02 December 12 8:12 am

Heads up for a little "problem" with the logging - and one I did myself a few times... :oops:
When you make your move, be sure to change the log type to "Moved" - it's very easy to miss/forget and log with the default "Found" type which makes things a bit confusing. Easy to edit the log to fix it though, no need for deletions etc.


:-$

nutwood
Posts: 393
Joined: 01 April 11 6:02 pm
Location: Tasmania

Re: Bingo - The moving cache race for 2012/2013

Post by nutwood » 02 December 12 8:19 am

caughtatwork wrote:
nutwood wrote:
caughtatwork wrote:
nutwood wrote:
caughtatwork wrote:Yay. I finally have a green box on my Bingo card. Yay for me :mrgreen:
When did you find time to do that? I figured you were glued to the keyboard sorting out our little problems!
Good effort, on both counts. Thanks! :D
Not too many problems. A few weird issues which I think are more human than technological. We're going out in a few minutes to try and nab some others that are hanging around.
Here's one that's puzzling me. We've found GA4926 and yet my #26 square is still open. When I looked at the log of when I shifted it, there's no distance shown which presumably has blocked the number being ticked off. Have I screwed up somewhere? :-k
The published log has no co-ords, so it doesn't know where it was to start with.
If you can give me the co-ords of where you picked it up, I'll fix it.
Ah-ha, that makes sense. Here's the co-ordinates of the cache that was sitting next to it. Thanks. :D
S41° 14.172' E146° 58.515'

nutwood
Posts: 393
Joined: 01 April 11 6:02 pm
Location: Tasmania

Re: Bingo - The moving cache race for 2012/2013

Post by nutwood » 02 December 12 8:40 am

Tuena wrote:
nutwood wrote:
Tuena wrote:My initial observation:

The strategies & tactics employed by the Tasmanians seem the most abel.
Ouch! :stabby
I was being complimentary ................ strategies & tactics were superior to any I had seen in the other States. abel is a play on words based on the first name of your state's namesake, the Dutch explorer Abel (able) Tasman.

"............seem the most abel". is a positive. Able according to my Macquarie Dictionary means: having sufficient power, strength or qualifications, showing talent or knowledge.

No Ouch! intended.
Sorry, I thought you were pun-ishing us. :D

User avatar
caughtatwork
Posts: 16177
Joined: 17 May 04 12:11 pm
Location: Melbourne
Contact:

Re: Bingo - The moving cache race for 2012/2013

Post by caughtatwork » 02 December 12 9:52 am

nutwood wrote:
caughtatwork wrote:
nutwood wrote:
caughtatwork wrote:
nutwood wrote:
caughtatwork wrote:Yay. I finally have a green box on my Bingo card. Yay for me :mrgreen:
When did you find time to do that? I figured you were glued to the keyboard sorting out our little problems!
Good effort, on both counts. Thanks! :D
Not too many problems. A few weird issues which I think are more human than technological. We're going out in a few minutes to try and nab some others that are hanging around.
Here's one that's puzzling me. We've found GA4926 and yet my #26 square is still open. When I looked at the log of when I shifted it, there's no distance shown which presumably has blocked the number being ticked off. Have I screwed up somewhere? :-k
The published log has no co-ords, so it doesn't know where it was to start with.
If you can give me the co-ords of where you picked it up, I'll fix it.
Ah-ha, that makes sense. Here's the co-ordinates of the cache that was sitting next to it. Thanks. :D
S41° 14.172' E146° 58.515'
All fixed.

Rogue
7500 or more caches found
7500 or more caches found
Posts: 106
Joined: 26 September 06 3:24 pm
Twitter: steffvan
Location: Caversham

Re: Bingo - The moving cache race for 2012/2013

Post by Rogue » 02 December 12 2:20 pm

I joined the game on the cachinggames site, and only realised after joining that you only get a game card if you hide a cache. Yesterday morning I released a cache as part of the game and it had the bingo tag, but I didn't realise until now that on the cachinggames website I had to also "create" the cache on there for it to be listed and get a game card.

So, now I have a game card, but none of the caches I moved yesterday have been ticked off on my card. I don't see anything in the rules about having to move the caches after you get your game card. Is this something that can be fixed? I tried editing my 'move' log from yesterday and re-saving it, but it doesn't seem to have helped.

User avatar
Bronnie_1990
1000 or more caches found
1000 or more caches found
Posts: 681
Joined: 21 September 10 4:20 pm
Twitter: bronnie1990
Location: Tuggeranong, Canberra.

Re: Bingo - The moving cache race for 2012/2013

Post by Bronnie_1990 » 02 December 12 5:17 pm

So, there's been a hubcap sitting in the nature strip near my house for the last...month and a bit.

Is it wrong to attach a bison tube, and go publish it?
:-"

User avatar
Bronnie_1990
1000 or more caches found
1000 or more caches found
Posts: 681
Joined: 21 September 10 4:20 pm
Twitter: bronnie1990
Location: Tuggeranong, Canberra.

Re: Bingo - The moving cache race for 2012/2013

Post by Bronnie_1990 » 02 December 12 5:21 pm

Ok now i have a technical problem.

I have #87 on two of my cards, yet i've found (and moved) GA4887. It still hasnt ticked it off. Help?

nutwood
Posts: 393
Joined: 01 April 11 6:02 pm
Location: Tasmania

Re: Bingo - The moving cache race for 2012/2013

Post by nutwood » 02 December 12 5:26 pm

Bronnie_1990 wrote:So, there's been a hubcap sitting in the nature strip near my house for the last...month and a bit.

Is it wrong to attach a bison tube, and go publish it?
:-"
Why attach a bison tube? I'd paint concentric circles on it, call it the "Cachers target" and write it's GCA number on the reverse. Perfect cache. Why do you need a log when the finder has to move it 1 km?

User avatar
Bronnie_1990
1000 or more caches found
1000 or more caches found
Posts: 681
Joined: 21 September 10 4:20 pm
Twitter: bronnie1990
Location: Tuggeranong, Canberra.

Re: Bingo - The moving cache race for 2012/2013

Post by Bronnie_1990 » 02 December 12 5:38 pm

nutwood wrote:
Bronnie_1990 wrote:So, there's been a hubcap sitting in the nature strip near my house for the last...month and a bit.

Is it wrong to attach a bison tube, and go publish it?
:-"
Why attach a bison tube? I'd paint concentric circles on it, call it the "Cachers target" and write it's GCA number on the reverse. Perfect cache. Why do you need a log when the finder has to move it 1 km?
Hadn't even thought of that!


Less than 20 minutes later, it's already gone! (seriously, whomever took the four caches from outside my house..that was stealthy! I didnt even notice you and i'm a whole 5m away...)

DG Tas
600 or more caches found
600 or more caches found
Posts: 23
Joined: 04 December 09 8:40 pm

Re: Bingo - The moving cache race for 2012/2013

Post by DG Tas » 02 December 12 5:40 pm

Bronnie_1990 wrote:So, there's been a hubcap sitting in the nature strip near my house for the last...month and a bit.

Is it wrong to attach a bison tube, and go publish it?
:-"
Ha! Great minds! =D> I thought the same thing yesterday! Oh dear, everything is turning into a cache!

User avatar
Cheesy pigs
3000 or more caches found
3000 or more caches found
Posts: 1738
Joined: 02 June 05 6:51 pm
Location: Kingston

Re: Bingo - The moving cache race for 2012/2013

Post by Cheesy pigs » 02 December 12 6:23 pm

I've already found and moved a pushbike today. I'm still saying no for whole cars but hub caps are fair game lol

User avatar
Chwiliwr
10000 or more caches found
10000 or more caches found
Posts: 888
Joined: 10 April 05 10:39 pm
Location: Leeming Western Australia

Re: Bingo - The moving cache race for 2012/2013

Post by Chwiliwr » 02 December 12 6:44 pm

Bronnie_1990 wrote:Ok now i have a technical problem.

I have #87 on two of my cards, yet i've found (and moved) GA4887. It still hasnt ticked it off. Help?
You have moved one of those caches that do not have coordinates on the publish logs. I looked up the cache on my initial download of all the moveables and the orginal coordinate was S35° 11.391 E149° 02.002 so if you ask caughtatwork to put that in the publish log it should correct everything.

Post Reply