Bingo - The moving cache race for 2012/2013

Discussion about the Geocaching Australia web site
Zalgariath
5500 or more caches found

Re: Bingo - The moving cache race for 2012/2013

Post by Zalgariath » 26 November 12 6:21 pm

Yes Zhaoy and I are doing the same... we WILL find each others... but not as the first few moves. I think the 2 move rule should probably be enforced again...

blossom*
3000 or more caches found

Post by blossom* » 26 November 12 6:31 pm

Zalgariath wrote:Yes Zhaoy and I are doing the same... we WILL find each others... but not as the first few moves. I think the 2 move rule should probably be enforced again...
Yep, s-a-l and myself have written a very similar rule for ourselves. As long as someone else finds and rehides one of our caches first, we will then deem it ok to find each others and our own. (Counting on your help here Zal :D I'm hoping you'll move all ours in the first day before you head to NZ - but no taking them with you!)

Like everything, it's how you want to play the game yourself that really matters. It's not as if we'lll win a real car if we're first to finish a bingo card......or maybe that IS the first prize this year :lol:

nutwood

Post by nutwood » 26 November 12 6:56 pm

We're still deciding how to play it once the game has commenced. I suspect that we'll probably go with the flow and pass caches between us. No different to a bunch of cachers at an event and in reality, an eight year old has limited opportunities to hunt caches without parental help.

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 26 November 12 7:12 pm

It's a game. You're not playing for sheep stations. Enjoy it in the vein it was intended.

Richary
8000 or more caches found

Post by Richary » 26 November 12 8:13 pm

blossom* wrote:Yep, s-a-l and myself have written a very similar rule for ourselves. As long as someone else finds and rehides one of our caches first, we will then deem it ok to find each others and our own. (Counting on your help here Zal :D I'm hoping you'll move all ours in the first day before you head to NZ - but no taking them with you!)
Unluckily this year I won't be able to help with the Meadowbank moves as much unless work takes me past that way. But the Hornsby area might get a few more.

One aspect of the competition this year is that it is about crossing the numbers off your bingo card rather than moving caches multiple times (unless there are other prizes I'm not aware of). So once you have found my GA5056 which will hopefully get hidden tomorrow or Wednesday there is less incentive to find it again (apart from another smiley).

Richary

Post by Richary » 26 November 12 8:33 pm

Something's up on the cachinggames site ladders, alfyboy has 2 caches listed against his name that aren't moveables and were placed a while ago!

quiet1_au

Post by quiet1_au » 26 November 12 9:16 pm

quiet1_au wrote:Numbers 49,50,51 are now filled - I got lucky and discovered tonight that the new cache I made was only a couple off the range so made a couple of (future) caches so I could use these for my last few racers and fill in the big gap on the Bingo list :-) Now I think we're only missing #66 (come in #66 your time is up).

These are definitely the last of my racers - I have to find too many hiding spots for them all... :mrgreen:

:-$

Woot! not only are there a staggering 300+ caches already entered (is that a record?) but #66 is now in the race =D> , so all numbers are now in play - the excitement's building \:D/

Toriaz
200 or more found
200 or more found

Post by Toriaz » 27 November 12 7:00 am

Since it is only the moved logs which count with bingo cards, does there have to be a found log preceding it?

I don't want to find my own caches, but if I need one of my own cache numbers for bingo, I was wondering if a noted log to say that I had taken the cache followed by a moved log would work. Or does the software look for the found/moved combination?

quiet1_au

Post by quiet1_au » 27 November 12 7:43 am

Toriaz wrote:Since it is only the moved logs which count with bingo cards, does there have to be a found log preceding it?

I don't want to find my own caches, but if I need one of my own cache numbers for bingo, I was wondering if a noted log to say that I had taken the cache followed by a moved log would work. Or does the software look for the found/moved combination?
Well we fellow cachers look for the found log to indicate that oops we're too late, go and find another one to visit...

For that reason its important to log finds ASAP - if not in the field (I can't) then as soon as you get to the 'net so that others following in your footsteps don't have to search fruitlessly or waste a trip. Also why a clear hint is important so that its obvious you're looking in the exactly the right spot but must have been too late...

I've always thought its a little unfair not to be able to log your own moveable as a valid find once it has moved on - after all its in a hide you've never seen placed by another cacher just like any other logable cache, it's only the material object that happens to be your's. :-k I'm looking forward to finding my own this year.

nutwood

Post by nutwood » 27 November 12 7:53 am

Finding your own is an excellent idea for Bingo. It's an immediate incentive to hide caches, which benefits everyone playing and introduces some interesting twists.
If you own a cache whose number appears on all your cards, where do you hide it? That's what started the discussion about having two cachers in the household and why not hide it in the garden first?

geo_jas

Post by geo_jas » 27 November 12 7:57 am

As long as it is in the garden and not in your living room to give early morning (or late night) cachers a chance to pick it up if you sleep in.

toy hunters
5000 or more caches found
5000 or more caches found

Post by toy hunters » 27 November 12 8:12 am

Toriaz wrote:Since it is only the moved logs which count with bingo cards, does there have to be a found log preceding it?

I definately agree! I feel like that when you find your own cache, it ruins your stats. If we can just do a posted note saying that we took it, that would be great. \:D/

Toriaz
200 or more found
200 or more found

Post by Toriaz » 27 November 12 8:31 am

I don't have any problem with other people finding their own moveable caches, I agree that once they are moved to a new hide, you become like any other cacher looking for it.

But we each play the game in our own way, and my way is to not log a find on my own caches. If it turns out that noted/moved doesn't work for bingo, so be it.

And quiet1_au, a noted log saying that I have taken the cache from the currently listed coordinates gives the same information that a found it log gives.

blossom*

Post by blossom* » 27 November 12 8:34 am

toy hunters wrote:

I definately agree! I feel like that when you find your own cache, it ruins your stats. If we can just do a posted note saying that we took it, that would be great. \:D/
What about doing a "find" and then changing it to "move" when you move it. Then your stats aren't affected but everyone still knows it's gone when you find it.

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 27 November 12 8:52 am

toy hunters wrote:

Log a note to say you've taken it. Then a move to move it.