Bingo - The moving cache race for 2012/2013

Discussion about the Geocaching Australia web site
steptoe
1650 or more caches found

Re: Bingo - The moving cache race for 2012/2013

Post by steptoe » 15 November 12 3:04 pm

I recall reading that someone in a recent post was having trouble printing - excel/word would not work etc - using IE to view them, highlight the game grids you want to print,
select File, then Print, then under Page Range select SELECTION (otherwise you get the entire page) then print.
That should make it easy.
cheers
steptoe

gmj3191
7500 or more caches found
7500 or more caches found

Post by gmj3191 » 15 November 12 6:13 pm

Just a cacher wrote:We have had this discussion before and as I recall, opinion was divided. In the end, we had to have a consistent sizing rule so C@W made a ruling (as far as I remember - I am happy to be corrected), and "size" became the size of the log container, rather than the size of the cache container.
With respect (okay, you know something negative is coming)
this makes no sense whatsoever with a moveable cache.

Clearly the size should apply to that which has to be moved.

noikmeister
5000 or more caches found
5000 or more caches found

Post by noikmeister » 15 November 12 6:35 pm

gmj3191 wrote:
Clearly the size should apply to that which has to be moved.
Agreed, or more correctly, the size of what you are looking for. Isn't that the point of the size attribute?

quiet1_au
5500 or more caches found

Post by quiet1_au » 15 November 12 11:01 pm

blossom* wrote:We seem to be filling the numbers gaps quite well although there are some big holes in a few ranges. 123 caches entered so far by only 32 players. With 63 players in the game, there must be a lot of caches still not entered onto the game page yet!

I put mine into the game as soon as I had started off my draft cache page (even though I still have a bit of writing and tidying up to do in the listing). That way, everyone can see what numbers are filling up :D
Before I placed a couple of mine I did a quick check to try to load cache pages on the presumption that once I found an unknown cache it was likely to be the number my new cache would fill. But no - several numbers were passed when the cache was made - my presumption and hope was they were unpublished ones and would most likely be new Bingo racers (as luck would have it my caches fell on at least one gap so it was still fine) So I'm hoping that at least some in that particular gap on the board will be filled before game time. :)

I too add mine to the CachingGames page straight away, although they still need of padding out of the descriptions/photos/etc, and of course tagged them with "bingo" before I forgot (and double-/tripled-checked that because I did actually miss a couple...)

With the game-play for this year's race, we need as many caches as possible, including duplicate numbers scattered over the country to have a chance at completing a card... I'm hoping that those rarer numbers won't end up like the recent GC movable that came briefly to Australia before shooting overseas once again.... #-o ](*,)

:-$

quiet1_au

Post by quiet1_au » 16 November 12 7:49 am

I'm curious about the naming of Bingo race caches. I started naming mine as regular caches (adding Bingo as part of the name or an aside to assist spotting them as racers vs regular GCA caches), then I thought perhaps one should call them by their Bingo call so added that as the primary name. What are other people planning on doing for their's?

eg. Q1 - Black Bingo Racer
now Q1 - Seven Dozen - 84 (aka Black Bingo Racer)

(Q1 is obviously just my initials which I used to distinguish mine from other cachers' racers - this year we can move our own \:D/ so that's not really needed but I do it out of habit :) )

GJMMelb
3000 or more caches found

Post by GJMMelb » 16 November 12 8:22 am

quiet1_au wrote:I'm curious about the naming of Bingo race caches. I started naming mine as regular caches (adding Bingo as part of the name or an aside to assist spotting them as racers vs regular GCA caches), then I thought perhaps one should call them by their Bingo call so added that as the primary name. What are other people planning on doing for their's?

(Q1 is obviously just my initials which I used to distinguish mine from other cachers' racers - this year we can move our own \:D/ so that's not really needed but I do it out of habit :) )

GJMMelb wrote: Is it needed/recommended to have the words Bingo and/or Transport in the cache NAME?

What do people reckon??? ..... (ie) How do you search for closest moveables in these games?

(PS I have "tagged" the cache 'bingo' on the tagging tab)
As you can see I asked above re cache names too and the response was as long as they are tagged bingo in the public tags there was no NEED to have Transport or Bingo in the names but anyway 2 of ours have the word Transport in the Cache name (and 1 more might - just waiting for Gary to choose his 2nd transporter).
Our other 3 have the type of transport in the name but nothing that really distinguishes them from other caches... but I sort of feel they should ... but the word Bingo just doesnt go with them lol I might just add transport on the end of them too lol
PS I like your idea of the Bingo call in the name but it would get very confusing if everyone did that! :shock: :D

blossom*

Post by blossom* » 16 November 12 8:27 am

quiet1_au wrote:I'm curious about the naming of Bingo race caches. I started naming mine as regular caches (adding Bingo as part of the name or an aside to assist spotting them as racers vs regular GCA caches), then I thought perhaps one should call them by their Bingo call so added that as the primary name. What are other people planning on doing for their's?

I thought of the bingo call for names too and one of mine is "One Little Duck" = 02. But some of the bingo calls are a bit boring so we/re calling the other 13 that belong to strike-a-light and myself various things such as "The Mixer" and "Blossom*s Transport". Just regular names mostly that seem a bit relevant to the containers

rogerw3
8000 or more caches found

Post by rogerw3 » 16 November 12 8:37 am

:oops: :wink:

I have no imagination so I called mine something related to the cache item and added Bingo after the name for good measure:
Race Bingo
Skate Bingo
Toot Bingo
Speedy Bingo
V Dub Bingo
At least they will be easy to pick out from a list of moveables!
I did make sure the bingo tag was added to the listing.

:) :-"

whitewebbs
6500 or more caches found
6500 or more caches found

Post by whitewebbs » 16 November 12 8:24 pm

Just checking out the rules for this year's game and I can't see where it mentions how many moves before caches can be found again by a cacher who has already found the cache. Usually it is two moves with a moveable, will it be the same this year :?:

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 16 November 12 8:39 pm

whitewebbs wrote:Just checking out the rules for this year's game and I can't see where it mentions how many moves before caches can be found again by a cacher who has already found the cache. Usually it is two moves with a moveable, will it be the same this year :?:
There isn't a restriction. As it's more about you the finder rather than the cache being moved, "cheating" by handing the cache off between two of you to gain mileage isn't applicable.

Rigger64
950 or more random things achieved
950 or more random things achieved

Post by Rigger64 » 18 November 12 4:03 pm

Might have to get cracking if i want in on this years race....

steptoe

Post by steptoe » 18 November 12 6:19 pm

just under 2 weeks till the start - and we are down to about 12 blank numbers.
If all players hsowing only one or two build up to 5, and a few more join in, we should cover all the digits.
At the moment, I cannot fill any of my 5 games, as each has at least one of the blanks numbers on it, so here's hoping.

I guess I'd better check if there is a way to use the tags in GACacher on th phone too.

Richary

Post by Richary » 18 November 12 9:28 pm

I'm meaning to join in, but need to find some things to glue caches to, and I guess something to put the log in. Better be a job for next weekend!

SeabreezeOZ
200 or more found
200 or more found

Post by SeabreezeOZ » 18 November 12 11:52 pm

blossom* wrote:

I thought of the bingo call for names too and one of mine is "One Little Duck" = 02. But some of the bingo calls are a bit boring so we/re calling the other 13 that belong to strike-a-light and myself various things such as "The Mixer" and "Blossom*s Transport". Just regular names mostly that seem a bit relevant to the containers

I too was a bit confused about the name thing so after discussing the problem with my 7yr old, ended up just going with his suggestions as follows
Bingo Bicycles
Bingo Motor Vehicles
Bingo Train
Bingo Boat
Bingo Plane
Hope thats OK, lol

SeabreezeOZ
200 or more found
200 or more found

Post by SeabreezeOZ » 18 November 12 11:56 pm

steptoe wrote:I recall reading that someone in a recent post was having trouble printing - excel/word would not work etc - using IE to view them, highlight the game grids you want to print,
select File, then Print, then under Page Range select SELECTION (otherwise you get the entire page) then print.
That should make it easy.
cheers
steptoe
Thanks for that, still cant get it to work :x :cry: