Suggestion for Cachers Graphs.

Discussion about the Geocaching Australia web site
Captain Terror
7000 or more caches found

Suggestion for Cachers Graphs.

Post by Captain Terror » 06 December 11 12:44 am

As often happens I've found myself poking around graphs under the 'Cachers' tab on the GCA homepage. All sorts of fun and interesting charts there. I was wondering though, if it'd be possible/worth making a graph that displays top cachers by cache types found in a day and maybe a second that ranks top cachers by cache types since the beginning of time.

For instance, I know in Brisbane, on the day of an event, only 8 cache types in a day are possible, with only 1 virtual and 1 whereigo left. I think it could be an interesting graph and another achievement for people to aim for perhaps.

As I said just an idea, but I think it'd be a good idea if it's not too hard to implement.

caughtatwork

Re: Suggestion for Cachers Graphs.

Post by caughtatwork » 06 December 11 8:58 am

I swore I responded to your PM.
We run the machine out of RAM, so I'm afraid I can't do.

Captain Terror

Post by Captain Terror » 06 December 11 1:40 pm

Aww :(
OK, thanks for trying though :)

Cheesy pigs
3000 or more caches found
3000 or more caches found

Post by Cheesy pigs » 06 December 11 1:59 pm

caughtatwork wrote:I swore I responded to your PM.
We run the machine out of RAM, so I'm afraid I can't do.
cant grab a ram and a ewe and work at replenishing?

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 06 December 11 2:27 pm

I know you're joking, but (ha!) the machine can handle up to 12GB. We have 4GB in it now (weird combination of 2 x 1GB and 4 x 512MB). We would need to replace all the RAM to get to 12GB being 6 x 2GB sticks. It would cost about $500 to upgrade the RAM.

The database is 3.6GB and we allocate 1.6GB RAM to the mysql process. In a perfect world, we would allocate 7.2GB to the mysql process (1xDB to keep it is memory and 1xDB for "sort" space).

So we can the problem in the short term, but that's not necessarily the only bottleneck. The disks we have at 5400RPM (I think) and are pretty darn slow. i/o to the disks is starting to become a worry. If we broke the RAM bottleneck we would likely end up with an i/o issue. So pushing a bubble down here causes it to pop up there.

Ultimately what we need to look at in the next couple of years is a beast with SAS drives (or even solid state), 192GB RAM and 64 CPU's. That seems like a lot, but it really isn't (OK it is, but hey, if we can get it at the right price, why not). This is the reason we have the shop. So we don't rest on our laurels, but we start saving towards new infrastructure to keep the site up to date and snapping with the additional volumes of traffic hitting the site.

So, unfortunately we can't always do what we would like to do due to infrastructure constraints.

setsujoku
3500 or more caches found
Twitter: BGNWP

Post by setsujoku » 06 December 11 9:53 pm

Out of interest what type of RAM does it take? I have a few sticks of unused DDR2 ECC (from memory, though I would have to check) RAM sitting here from a server that have never had anything to do, and would be more than happy to find a new home.

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 06 December 11 10:00 pm

Advanced PC2 PC3200 DDR2 ECC 400MHz SDRAM DIMM Memory

There are 6 (occupied) slots with 2 x 1GB and 4 x 512MB. I "think" they need to be in pairs.

setsujoku
Twitter: BGNWP

Post by setsujoku » 06 December 11 10:09 pm

caughtatwork wrote:Advanced PC2 PC3200 DDR2 ECC 400MHz SDRAM DIMM Memory

There are 6 (occupied) slots with 2 x 1GB and 4 x 512MB. I "think" they need to be in pairs.
Hmm ok might not quite suit then. Just checked and there are 3 x 2gb fully buffered pc2 5300 sticks. Yours if you can use them for gca, but not sure if they will play nice with the existing children.

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 06 December 11 10:14 pm

Mixing and matching is always a dangerous proposition. Our server is getting on in age. It was old when we acquired it. That's why the sales from the shop will be very helpful in getting a new machine in a couple of years.

andiamo
100 or more tracks walked
100 or more tracks walked

Post by andiamo » 07 December 11 6:57 pm

Captain Terror was only asking because he would be at the top of the chart for Queensland - he struggles to be found on any of the other graphs of note :-" :-" :-"

Captain Terror

Post by Captain Terror » 08 December 11 1:53 am

caughtatwork wrote:Mixing and matching is always a dangerous proposition. Our server is getting on in age. It was old when we acquired it. That's why the sales from the shop will be very helpful in getting a new machine in a couple of years.
I'm still here you know :P